Best Vanity and Lighting

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my upcycled vanity and mirror, but the lighting in my room stinks, and I'm REALLY struggling with having enough/good light at my vanity :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by Dezzie1152 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm thinking of buying

and putting it on a desk I no longer use.  thoughts?
Very celebrity!  Go for it girl!  and it's movable if you want to use another desk or just move it to a table as needed.

Quote: Originally Posted by FunAtTheCircus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Here's mine..

Do you like spinning QVC makeup thing? I keep going back and forth on ordering one, but I was afraid it wouldn't hold a lot. My storage space is pretty limited and this would possibly be a tremendous help.

Quote: Originally Posted by Dezzie1152 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm thinking of buying

and putting it on a desk I no longer use.  thoughts?
I so want this mirror in silver (and a Pier 1 silver Hayworth vanity table). But I don't know if I would buy it because I'm blind without my glasses and would still use a smaller vanity mirror, that's closer to my face, to apply makeup. 

FYI, last Black Friday, Vanity Girl had a 20% off sale.

Quote: Originally Posted by BoySarah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  i found 2 i like.  I think I want the side mirrors as opposed to a single mirror.  what do you think?

I have this second vanity shown, but in black wood-not white.  I hate the stool.  It was a piece of crap, and the legs constantly get loose, and the seat cushion screws fall out all the time making the seat completely detach from the base.  I LOVE the vanity though, which is the reason I bought it, not for the seat.  I bought a storage ottoman from Target recently when I got pissed at the seat breaking again, lol.

To be honest though, the side mirrors aren't really big enough to practically use.  They are nice for quick "side checks", but too small to use for applying makeup.  I just use the main middle mirror.  Plus most people will end up storing items in front of the side panel mirrors, making them impossible to fold in to use anyways.

The drawers are very shallow, and they go back deep where it is hard to reach small things that end up hiding there.  I solved this with empty birchbox lids, and leaving hardly used or seasonal items in the back where I can't easily reach.

If you have a large collection of makeup, or are the type to buy collections, this vanity will not work well for you, at least not with additional storage...not enough storage, drawer space.   It'll easily hold a medium/normal amount of makeup.

Everybody excuse my mess, apparently my vanity has thrown up in the last week while redecorating and I've just avoided it, lol.   Here is this vanity in all it's storage glory...  I've about maxed out how much it'll fit.  I'm not a collector of brand/products, and I'd consider what is shown a moderate stash of goods (for reference).  I keep my drawers sorted as lipsticks, lip glosses, facial products, cheek products/facial powders, eye products.  Brushes and eye pencils get stored in cups on top.

And an additional 2 cents about lighting... I like my lamps shown, got them at Target.  I turn all four on when I do my makeup.  They are regular florescent bulbs, which is what most of the lighting is when you're out and about in public...so I find I tend to look the same at home and where I'm going.  My opinion is it doesn't really matter how good/natural your lighting is at home, if you're going to end up at places with crappy florescent lights that tend to make you look bad anyways, lol.

Quote: Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I so want this mirror in silver (and a Pier 1 silver Hayworth vanity table). But I don't know if I would buy it because I'm blind without my glasses and would still use a smaller vanity mirror, that's closer to my face, to apply makeup. 

FYI, last Black Friday, Vanity Girl had a 20% off sale.

I don't think i can wait a year! I wish I had that kind of willpower!

Quote: Originally Posted by getdona /img/forum/go_quote.gif

as you can see i have a small table (got it from ikea) and i also have a 15month old son who is so hyper running around all the time in our little apartment. so i am torn. lol I cant wait to have a nice set up though. 
There's a way you can tell. Measure the table and compare the measurements to the vanity light to see if it will fit. Then, if it will fit, get a piece of cardboard, poster board, a box anything like that and cut it to measure the size of the vanity light. Put it on top of your vanity to get an idea of the scale and size and how it will look on the table.

You can always childproof the mirror by using some kind of anchor to the wall. Here is a video that
0.jpg
how to do it. 

Quote: Originally Posted by LinaMingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So glad I stumbled upon this I was just telling DH how I want one and asked him to make me one lol but I am thinking of checking some flea markets to see whats out there.
I got my vanity by purchasing a desk from a Hotel Liquidation warehouse. It was extremely inexpensive, looks like "real furniture" and is most definitely sturdy. You can always add your own mirror or lighting if you find a desk or table you like. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back