Biting of the nails

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aww thanks Annia! They feel a granny-ish if you know what I mean?! lol!

Well over the weekend I've managed to stop myself from biting my nails and they've got white bits on them now woo hoo!!!! I'm totally proud of myself lol!!

Originally Posted by Nessicle I wondered how many people here bit their nails and how many would be willing to join me on a challenge to stop biting them? I'll join your quest to stop biting. I bite/pick at my nails when I'm nervous or bored. I have a wedding to go to at the end of the month that I'm trying to have decent nails for.
i definitely want to stop. One of my patient's at work last night was biting her nails and it was really grossing me out.
scared.gif

Wow, yeah.... I've been biting my nails for about 31 years and haven't been able to stop unless I've had on fakes. My hands look like a kid's hands with my ultra short nails and them being just little. It's great when I have time to do them, then when they fall off I've got some slight growth to work with, but it never lasts.

Best of luck to quiting, I'm still determined to myself one day!

Originally Posted by Nessicle Aww thanks Annia! They feel a granny-ish if you know what I mean?! lol!
Well over the weekend I've managed to stop myself from biting my nails and they've got white bits on them now woo hoo!!!! I'm totally proud of myself lol!!

REWARD YOURSELF WITH A MANICURE IMMEDIATELY. THIS WILL MOTIVATE YOU AGAINST BITING YOUR NAILS EVEN MORE.
policeman.gif

I am 32 years old and have not bit my nails in 16 years.

I use to bite my nails all the time too and I finally quit after someone scared the geebers outta me telling me about all the different kinds of bacteria under my finger nails. I still occassionally revert back especially when I am nervous or upset about something. You can do it, Vanessa! Good luck!

Thanks guys! All your encouragement and suggestions is really helping me! I get paid on August 25 so I'm treating myself to a manicure then and an acrylic overlay to make them a bit stronger! I can't wait! That's my little beauty treat if I keep to it! I painted them in a really sheer nudey pink last night and they're already looking better!

Hope everyone else taking part in this challenge is managing ok too! Keep me posted on your progress!

i don't bite, but i pick at them. i wanna go get a manicure but i'm too shy/embarressed about the state of my cuticles...

I bite my nails as well, its so hard to stop. Its def a gross habit! when i have acrylics on though i dont bite them. Good Luck

Originally Posted by vickih aren't acrylics supposed to be bad for your nails? Only if they're done cheaply and are ripped off instead of soaked off properly. Many people who have weak nails have the acrylic coating on to stop any breaking or splitting. If you go to a properly qualified nail technician then there shouldnt be any damage.
Update

Ok guys here's an update of my nails one week on! They're growing well and already I feel a bit more feminine with the bits of white lol!

I totally forgot about this...I do that quite often haha. But I got acrylic nails put on! When I get them taken of and manicured I will check in - because they will be long and pretty!

Ness - your nails and starting to looks great!! Good job on sticking by it!!

i used to have the same problem. i don't know what made me stop except the fact that i worked in retail in high school and it was embarrassing to show my nails to customers!

Originally Posted by PerfectMistake I totally forgot about this...I do that quite often haha. But I got acrylic nails put on! When I get them taken of and manicured I will check in - because they will be long and pretty!
Ness - your nails and starting to looks great!! Good job on sticking by it!!

Aww thanks hun!
yeah let me know what they look like and how much they've grown once you have your acrylics put on!

I've bitten my nails and skin around my nails for as long as I can remember. Sometimes I do good and they start to grow, but then they start to peel around the edges of my fingers and I end up biting them off. No nail strenghener has helped, getting fake nails hasn't helped. It's hopeless for me!!

This is a great challenge thread! I bit my nails well into my 30's. I stopped by getting acrylics. They made me love the way my hands looked. I'd tried everything including the polish with the awful taste. That didn't work because I became used to it and ignored the flavor. Finally I took off the acrylics, nursed my nails back to health and haven't thought of biting them again. Good luck!

Originally Posted by Retro-Violet /img/forum/go_quote.gif i used to do that all the time. the only reason i stopped was because i got braces and i couldnt do it anymore.
its worth stopping!

Same story for me! But now I bite around them sometimes, I really have to stop

hey, i've never seen that thread before, stupid girl.

i stopped biting my nails for one year now. the thing that really helped was i wanted nice colors on my nails as i was doing for my eyes. so I went to sephora, bought me the nicest colour i've seen, and ordered a growing nails thing from Agnès b (discontinued, shame it really worked !). i took the nail enamel and put it on my night table, so i could look at it and remember my challenge everyday when i woke up. it worked ! after two weeks i had nice nails, and once you've put enamel on them, you don't want ot bite those nice things ^^.

Back