Brands you know are good, but you don't buy as the packaging/design puts you off?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree on this point completely! Sometimes their product names bother me a little bit too. They seem kind of sexist in some ways, like women just sit around all day dreaming about cute boys. 
 Yes!!! As a gay feminist who enjoys theBalm's formulations immensely, I am disappointed in their packaging design. Particularly how the first Nude 'Tude, there was a shade named Schitzo. I haven't bought from them since. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'll agree on the Hello Kitty stuff looking juvenile (to me) - I've never tried the products because I can't get past the packaging. Same for MAC and Bobbi Brown (boring). Another brand that seems to be very popular around here is le metier de beaute - their packaging is not attractive in my opinion. If I'm going to spend that much money it should look attractive on the inside and outside :) 

I don't mind Benefit's packaging at all... yes it's cardboard, but it holds up, and I think it looks more retro than childish. Maybe I've gotten too used to Korean makeup, which is extremely high quality but very... colorful. Also, Bobbi Brown has just always been one of those brands that are so amazing, you use no matter how it looks, lol.

The ones I never go for are the "old lady brands" like Lancome, Elizabeth Arden, and Estee Lauder. I love Estee's gorgeous personalized powder compacts, I have one that's a gorgeous moon & stars motif with a beautiful "mood"detector in the middle and two or thiree different versions of their Aries compacts, but everything else is so... ugh. Actually, Estee is starting to really get their packaging right, they have some products coming out for the holiday season that just look gorgeous. It's frustrating, though, how these three brands have the best GWP but awful packaging. As a total aside, it also frustrates me that it's always "with any $35 purchase..." which sounds great, but then all of their products are either $30, $32 or $50+, meaning you really have to spend $65 to get the GWP, haha!

I have never tried the Calvin Klein cosmetics for this reason, too. Boring! Napoleon Perdis, Lorac. I never try Cargo for this very reason, too.

But honestly, you guys should try Benefit! I spent about $4000 on makeup this last year and they're one of my favorites. Also, give me Guerlain and Tom Ford or give me death!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Balm, Benefit, MAC.

Plenty of stupid Asian designs out there too, but that's mostly lower end drugstore stuff that I wouldn't call "good", so I don't buy it anyway. Usually :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and maybe it's just me but I don't buy any mascara with a tube thicker than my thumb (which takes maybelline, some of rimmel and covergirl out of the equation). To reiterate myself, I don't know who the hell decided that drugstore mascaras must also function as emergency dildos.
Hahahaha... >sigh< I know, right.

im one of the few that does not care about packaging at all.... ive never bought or disliked something because of packaging ever... nor can i tell a difference between "cheap" and expensive packaging

unless the packaging makes the product faulty in some way

like my favorite foundation ever is the tarte colored clay foundation in the jar

i hated pressing my brush into it like that im sure it contaminated the product

I still buy Wet n Wild and love it, but I do have to say I would buy a lot more if their packaging was a teeny bit better (lipsticks twisting all the way down, caps cracking, etc.) Though their foundation packaging is very functional and satisfactory and more sanitary than even estee lauder.

Hmmm. That's a good question! I would have to say Physician's Formula (childish) and Hourglass (waaay off from my personal aesthetic). Also Elizabeth Arden- the packaging is boring!
Oh, I definitely agree with Physician's Formula. Those charms they stick on some things are just way too tacky for me. 

Man I love the cutesy packaging from benefit and theBalm! It seems like you guys like the classic look?

https://www.facebook.com/theBalm/photos/a.417972144679.210894.58936684679/10152729664219680/?type=1

10609469_10152729664219680_8628066773425717488_n.jpg

TheBalm is having another "caption this image" contest. Seems like a good opportunity for people to voice opinions on their problematic packaging and branding.

Back