Brown Mascara?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by SmokyEyez You would really like "CILS BOOSTER or CILS BOOSTER XL" from Lancome. It's coats the lashes completely and that would bring the color out of your mascara better. Good luck!

..:SE:..

Great idea! I love "Cils Booster XL!"

Originally Posted by Teresamachado I'm not sure how you guys feel about this but if my mascara is somewhat clumpy, I just put a couple of drops of water and I also clean the brush every now and then. ACK! Don't ever put water in your mascara, it will cause bacteria from your eyes in the tube to grow even faster! Only wipe the wand of the mascara, never ever add water to it...

Originally Posted by MACGoddess ACK! Don't ever put water in your mascara, it will cause bacteria from your eyes in the tube to grow even faster! Only wipe the wand of the mascara, never ever add water to it...
Yeah I heard about this too but is not like I use the same one for like a year or so... I make sure of getting one at least once a month.... But I digg it though totally agree! I'm learning I'm learning.... Thanks
smile.gif

YES!  I hate that - i am in my 40s and surely don't need any more darkness under my eyes!  so sometimes i don't put mascara on the bottom, but that looks unbalanced.  so ya know what i do?  i take a 10x magnifying mirror and a little pair of scissors........works like a charm.  they always grow back out long, so every couple months or so I give them a little trim.

Dr Hauschka makes an Aubergine volume mascara.  $30.  Find it at better natural health food stores.  Whole Foods, maybe.

You could always curl your lashes first then apply a setting powder OR use a brown matte eyeshadow on the lashed then apply the brown mascara. That or get a darker brown.

Brown should be a great contrast for your blue eyes.   My eyes are black and I have teeny tiny lashes so I pick the blackest black I can find.  If you have a deeper brown liner try lining the upper lash line/water line.  That might also help make your eyes pop, along with curling your lashes as suggested. 

Back in my days of retain glamour sales and makeovers, I heard that wearing brown mascara made you look 10 years younger.  Of course, to say that helped me sell a ton of it.

But for me personally?  When I was 16, I read in a modeling book that girls should always wear black, black more black and only black. I guess I've taken that course, even "many" years later. I have auburn red hair so I don't know if really makes a difference or not.  I think it is even more important to make sure your lashes are not clumpy, separated and not flaking moreso than having the right color.

I know for a fact one company (drug store brand) came out with a kind that has almost a sparkly frosty effect to it. In different shades too. I'm guessing Covergirl but I might be wrong. You may want to look into that.

If you are going for a natural look, go with the brown black. if you are going to an evening look go with the black.

Use an egg plant color it will make the eyes pop with out the higher contrast of the black and the you avoid that washed out look. 

Originally Posted by studiomakeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Use an egg plant color it will make the eyes pop with out the higher contrast of the black and the you avoid that washed out look. 
I'd love an eggplant mascara . Where would I find one ?

I have brown eyes, and get the most compliments when I dot a tiny bit of green mascara over the tips of my lashes after using whatever my current black is. People don't notice that I have on green mascara, but I get asked "What did you do different with your makeup today ? It looks really good!"

The green is a cheap Covergirl I picked up at Walmart.It's sort of olive-toned. I'll buy a better brand when it runs out/gets old. 

I'm 46, and I don't like wearing jet black mascara anymore. (or jet black eye liner, for that matter)

I agree with the ones who say it probably makes more of an impact than you know. Black in the daytime can be too harsh and dramatic. Maybe try an experiment and use your brown mascara on one eye and black on the other, then check to see if there is a difference. You could even try wearing it like that for a day and see if you get comments about it.

I wear black all the time but it's because my eyes, hair, lashes, and brows are so dark brown they might as well be black. But for someone with light eyes and hair, I think a true black would be harsh and probably should be saved for nights out.

Hey just because it doesn't cost a lot doesn't mean it's not a great product. Maybelline has been a staple of mine for as Long as I have been a makeup artist, I have tried many other brands and always end up back with maybelline.

The green on you wit your coloring would look amazing for a bit of a change you could also try an egg plant color.

When I do blonds (natural) I never use black, it's way too harsh.

I tell all my students " blonds eat cheek color and brunettes eat eye makeup.

Originally Posted by MACGoddess /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Originally Posted by Teresamachado
I'm not sure how you guys feel about this but if my mascara is somewhat clumpy, I just put a couple of drops of water and I also clean the brush every now and then.
  ACK! Don't ever put water in your mascara, it will cause bacteria from your eyes in the tube to grow even faster! Only wipe the wand of the mascara, never ever add water to it...
K - question along these lines.  I have a mascara with a brush I LOVE, and I can't find the mascara again - think it may be discontinued.  =(  Is there any reason in the world when this tube is done I can't clean the brush with eye makeup remover, run some alcohol over it to steralize, and then use it in my next mascara?  Or would that be a big ACK! too?

Originally Posted by mellee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

K - question along these lines.  I have a mascara with a brush I LOVE, and I can't find the mascara again - think it may be discontinued.  =(  Is there any reason in the world when this tube is done I can't clean the brush with eye makeup remover, run some alcohol over it to steralize, and then use it in my next mascara?  Or would that be a big ACK! too?
There is nothing wrong with cleaning the mascara wand, try using Dawn dish washing liquid it cuts the mascara much faster.

Back