Can I wear a wig on very damaged hair?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by pookatrina /img/forum/go_quote.gif You really do want to stick to a cheapie conditioner. Skip any that has a bunch of silicones in & any that is a moisturizing one. I use Suave conditioners, Strawberry & a Aloe & Water Lily (they smell better than the expensive ones). I wet my head, slather with a THICK layer & then pop on a shower cap. I leave the cap on for 45min-1hr (I usually use this as a soak in the tub or manicure or read a book or something time). You have to rinse really, really well, then I do an ACV rinse as well to mildly clarify. The ACV rinse is 1 tablespoon to 8oz water. Yes, i've been avoiding silicones like the plague! I'll have to give the Suave a try and the ACV for a rinse. Thanks for the recs!

Actually, wearing wigs has helped me grow out my natural, AA hair. I wear my real hair in french braids underneath the wigs. The wigs that I own are breathable, and they are attached to my hair via comb clips and hair pins. I usually only wear them to work and rock my real hair after work and on the weekends. I've been wearing wigs for about two years, and my hair has thrived. A good brand that has worked for me is the Freetress line. I like wigs because they allow me to experiment with different styles while keeping my own hair protected and healthy. HTH!

Originally Posted by Little_Lisa /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yes, i've been avoiding silicones like the plague! I'll have to give the Suave a try and the ACV for a rinse. Thanks for the recs! how come some people say silicones are bad and some are good. I buy the more expensive line of poo and conditioners usually, and they have silicones. Why is this bad??? Also can you see a major difference since you quit using them? What brand do you use Lisa?

Originally Posted by wvpumpkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif how come some people say silicones are bad and some are good. I buy the more expensive line of poo and conditioners usually, and they have silicones. Why is this bad??? Also can you see a major difference since you quit using them? What brand do you use Lisa? Cones help disguise hair damage my making the cuticle of the hair lie flat. I think that if you do anything that remotely damages your hair (color, perm, blowdry), you will benefit from cones.

The price of the product doesn't indicate the quality or the ingredients in a product. Cheap and expensive lines may have a product with cones in them.

Cones attract dust to you hair which makes tangles. If you have shoulder length or shorter hair with no major damage & aren't looking to grow it longer cones are ok. They do cover damage to some extent. If you're hair is really damaged (like the OP's is) or you want longer hair then you'd want to avoid cones.

The cheaper condish usually have a little more cleansing agents in them that the more expensive ones so that's why I suggested the cheaper ones. I've also found the more expensive the product the more likly they are to have cones, not really sure why.

Originally Posted by B_Phlyy /img/forum/go_quote.gif I too am growing out my damaged hair under a wig. I wash and deep condition my hair 3-4 times a week. I apply a moisturizing leave-in and oil and tie my hair down. In the morning, I apply a little more oil to my hair and put on a wig cap. Then I put on the wig. Mine is very breatheable and I never put the combs on my hair. I only leave it on when I am in public. As soon as I get home, I take the wig off and put on a silk scarf. I think this is the best advice.

Yeah I just stopped using anything with silicone in the beginning of this week. I also started using mane 'n tail shampoo and condtioner. I wash my hair every other day cause it is actually getting oily
biggrin.gif
My hair is usually naturally oily but hasn't been for awhile cause it was so damaged and dry. The only thing now is that it has no shine what so ever in it.
frown.gif
It makes no sense oily but no shine?? I know but was wondering if anyone had any ideas on adding shine w/o adding silicones to my hair?? Thanks

Originally Posted by Tini /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yeah I just stopped using anything with silicone in the beginning of this week. I also started using mane 'n tail shampoo and condtioner. I wash my hair every other day cause it is actually getting oily
biggrin.gif
My hair is usually naturally oily but hasn't been for awhile cause it was so damaged and dry. The only thing now is that it has no shine what so ever in it.
frown.gif
It makes no sense oily but no shine?? I know but was wondering if anyone had any ideas on adding shine w/o adding silicones to my hair?? Thanks So mane and tail doesn't have cones in it. How do you know for sure which ones do and dont', there are so many names on the ingredients, how do you know what they are? Does suave shampoo have cones? Right now I use dumb blonde poo and bedhead conditioner. I don't know if they have cones or not. Are cones just in shampoo or also in conditioners?

Any ingredient that ends with "cone" is some type of silicone. Dimethicone is the most common one and the most heaviest one. It is not water soluble either so it cause buildup. I am trying to hard not to use it on my hair but somedays I just have to cause my hair is so damaged. My hair is growing and I only use the glosser on the ends. Well hope this helps.

Originally Posted by wvpumpkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif So mane and tail doesn't have cones in it. How do you know for sure which ones do and dont', there are so many names on the ingredients, how do you know what they are? Does suave shampoo have cones? Right now I use dumb blonde poo and bedhead conditioner. I don't know if they have cones or not. Are cones just in shampoo or also in conditioners? Cones can be found in almost any hair product. Here is some unbiased info on them. Looking at the ingredient label of a product is the best way to tell whether or not a product has cones in it.
Silicone

Have the ability to cling to and spread over, under, and around the cuticle. Holds up under water pressure and styling routines. Can leave a greasy sticky feel if used too much.

Most common types

Dimethicone

Cyclometicone

Amodimethicone

Cyclopentasiloxane

Dimethiconol

If you use a product with cones you cant do CO because it will not get them off the hair and they will build up. You need protein and moisture right now with your damage. I used aphogee on my damaged hair yesterday for the first time and I can tell a great improvement. My hair is almost back to normal now after several processes done to it also. I have been using a mister with water and conditioner and spray that on several times a day. At night I mist it down real good and put in condtioner then oil over that. I have been using coconut oil lately its suppose to help with protein loss. I do CO wash mostly but sometimes my scalp itches so I do a CWC with diluted shampoo. I had been using Redkins Deep Fuel for my protein before I tried the Aphogee. Cones seal the hair so moisture cant get in the hair and your hair really need moisture right now. If you are using wigs I would put a moisturing conditioner on my hair before I put it up in the wig you might as well get the benefits of a deep condition while you are wearing it. If your hair is mushy you definately need protein but I found out that it works better on your hair when it is moisturized. Always follow up a protein treatment with a moisturing one. This has really worked for my hair it was 7 weeks ago when the worst of the damage happened and its doing so much better now. If I can be of any more help for you let me know

Here is a website that is excellent in explaining cones and they will help you get your hair in tip top shape The Long Hair Community - Basic Hair Care Tips for Newbies and others go to the newbie section and post any question you have and you will get loads of help

Back