Christmas Dinner Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good news, my SIL's mother is cooking a panettone, yay ! Too bad i won't be able to eat some, and the gluten free version is so expensive
frown.gif

Oooh, those all sound so good, especially the capon and the koutia (don't worry Bec, I'm already diabetic, so if I try it you won't be responsible!) Lucy, your stuffing sounds divine; we went to a wedding this past Saturday and there was pork with stuffing made with cranberries and sausage and my husband would NOT stop talking about it (It was really good!) And I'd love to spend the holidays down under just once to have some seafood on Christmas....yum! Here we always have Christmas night dinner at my husband's aunts house, with the traditional -- turkey, dressing, corn, squash casserole (my contribution), green beans, bread, various desserts, and usually some type of wine.

Tonight we're having our Christmas party for our small group from church that meets at our house, and I'm doing my first ever ham (not a full ham, and it's pre-cooked, but I made my own glaze for which I'm really proud of myself!) I'll report back how it does!

Originally Posted by Lucy /img/forum/go_quote.gif sounds tasty daylah!
what on earth is cranberry fluff?

Cranberry Fluff

3 c Cranberries

3 c marshmallows

1 c sugar

1 apple (chopped up small)

1/2 c red grapes (seeds removed)

1 c pecans (optional)

1 c crushed pineapple

12 oz cool whip (or more if you're feeling crazy)

Grind cranberries in a blender.

Mix cranberries with the sugar.

Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Add remaining ingredients right before serving.

This is one of my favorite holiday recipes ever. It's very addicting. Let me know if you try it
smile.gif

Well, good news for us !! My brother's doing all the cooking, we're only bringing the beverages, we're not a family of drinkers but for such occasions, we always keep a few good bottles of wine and champagne.

lol seeing with my mum's elbow injury, it's pretty much looking likely that it will be me and my dad doing christmas dinner now!
smile.gif

dalylah, i wish i knew what cool whip was. i can only imagine it's like some kind of candy floss thing. it sounds delicious!

I'm really surprised to see that people eat turkey for xmas...

We have a very traditional xmas dinner

- ham

- mashed potatoes

- sweet potatoes

- stuffing

- buttered noodles

- rolls

- broccoli casserole

- deviled eggs

- baked beans

- green beans

and for desert we always have homemade red velvet cake

Originally Posted by luxurious /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm really surprised to see that people eat turkey for xmas... We used to do ham more but my S.O. doesn't eat pig in any form anymore now and prefers turkey so turkey it is
smile.gif

we buy a ham usually, cook it in the run up to xmas and usually eat some of it cold on christmas night (as christmas dinner for us is about 2pm) along with other nibbly bits (we call it picky-tea (tea being dinner or evening meal over here) and picky because well, you pick! lol.

there's smoked salmon too, and bread, and cream cheese, and coleslaw, crisps, salad bits, the ham, some cured ham too usually like parma ham, various cheeses and things like that. it's actually one of my favourite meals, i sometimes enjoy it more than the big roast!

how was everyone's dinner???

here's some pics of mine!

xmas5.jpg

this was the table

xmas6.jpg

and the meat! yummm

We're pretty boring, we had...

a jazzy salad

smoked duck

roasted sweet potatoes

grilled aspargus, peppers & broccoli

cranberry sauce

and apple pie for dessert

I had my very first go at glazing a ham! All in all it turned out pretty well! It's a lot easier than I thought!

This was the glaze I used...

1/2 cup maple syrup

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard

1/2 a teaspoon of cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg

It makes quite a thick glaze and you have to watch it once you put it in the oven as sugar burns easily, but I had no problems!

Here's how it turned out - half my cloves fell off in the oven
frown.gif
It still tasted great though!

6a011017ce7d06860e0123ddf82a83860d-500pi

Back