Chronic Acne...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suffered from really bad acne as a teen and nothing worked until I went to a dermatologist.  He put me on minocycline (for several years) and it really helped.  (Minocycline is an antibiotic that helps kill bacteria inside the body that can cause acne).

I also strongly recommend cutting out/reducing dairy and sugar in your diet.  These both can affect your skin's hormonal balance and create more acne.  **Eat more fresh fruits and veggies, and drink more water and green tea.**  (Stay away from soda and sugary drinks).

Lastly, make sure any topical products you use do not contain alcohol.

(Alcohol dries out skin, causing it to produce more oil, hence clogging pores and creating more acne).

Wash your face no more than 2x a day (unless you exercise, then wash an additional time).  (Avoid overwashing as it can actually damage your skin further). 

Focus on t-zone and problem areas (do not rub or get product close to delicate eye area).

I recommend gel cleansers for acne-prone/oily skin.  (Cream cleansers can be too thick and clog pores, and foaming cleansers can overdry skin).

Stay away from abrasive ingredients like alcohols (as mentioned) as well as sulfates, and scrubs that include beads.  (Beads can actually microscopically tear the skin.).  Try to also steer clear of lemon, lime and peppermint ingredients as they can make acne redness look even redder.

Use only makeup that is noncomedogenic.

Make sure to fully remove all makeup before bed. 

Wash/change your pillowcase often, and consider getting an air purifier in your bedroom.  Always keeps hands (and hair) off your face, and wipe off your phone on a regular basis (they are full of bacteria, and you don't want to press that bacteria into your face).

Here are some products I recommend...

Cleansers:

Eileen Mai's Salicylic Cleanser or Bella Aesthetic's Nourishing Beta Cleanser.

Exfoliators:

- The Body Deli Blueberry Fusion Cleanser {Resurface}

- Ecco Bella Invisible Leave-on Exfoliant

- Angel Face Botanical's Pineapple & Papaya Mask

(* exfoliate no more than 2-3x per week. )

Toners :

Silk Natural's 2% BHA toner or 8% AHA toner

(*try the 2% strength one first, just in the areas where you break out).

Moisturizers :

- Earth Science Fragrance-Free Almond Aloe moisturizer

(*very lightweight, can be worn under makeup, and won't clog pores)

- Eileen Mai's Cucumber Masque

- Aphrodite Facial toner with aloe vera

- The Body Deli Cucumber Juice Elixir

Spot-Treatment :

Eileen Mai's Salicylic Spot Treatment Masque

( * just dab on problem areas / pimples )

Deep clean masks :

organic green betonite clay masks

( * use a few times a week, not every day)

Regarding ALL facial products, spot test first and wait 24 hrs to make sure your skin does not have an adverse reaction).

Steam will help cleansers and masks pentrate deeper into your pores, so gently cleanse and steam your face in the shower, (then apply toner), then apply mask for it to be most effective.

I've also heard good things about konjac facial sponges (to help better exfoliate/cleanse), but I have not tried them personally yet (worth a shot, right?). 

(*Just make sure to hang them somewhere well lit and ventilated so they do not get moldy after using.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good information, wait to clear up your acne before exfoliating. I learned that you don't want to further irritate your skin, and most times acne medication is going to cause a bit of dryness, itching perhaps... Until you get used to the medication and your routine, I'd reccomend straying from exfoliation.. Also I thought toner was for closing your pores, so if you want the mask to get in the deepest pores maybe use toner in the morning after? But you are right to like check your skins reaction to the product to see if its tolerable for you, especially if you have sensitive skin... I too read foaming cleansers can over dry your skin if you have sensitive or already dry skin totally stray from that... Thanks by the way I guess going to the doctor could help... 

Chronic acne are mostly caused by oily skin. Every girl with oily skin could take care of that and have normal beautiful skin. I suffered oily skin problems for years, this article saved my life  -  http://mantello.co.uk/face/get-rid-oily-skin/

acne-scars-300x200.jpg

I have always used tea tree oil.  I hope that this  website explains how:   webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/acne/features/tea-tree-oil-treats-skin-problems

I had acne a while ago. When I used to wake up, I found atleast 20 new acne every single morning. Later I came to know about Epic Shatadhaut Ghrut by Prakruti JiyoFresh. It is an ayurvedic medicine for acne. The results were amazing and I got a skin that looks younger and more radiant. Try it

This may sound a bit crazy, but try rubbing an ice cube all over your face and neck until the ice cube melts. I had heard it helps a lot with acne and once I tried it, my pimples were almost gone the next day!! It feels a bit uncomfortable but it worked for me so I'm super happy. Let me know if it helps you too!

Back