Coastal Scents Mystery Box

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have it in my cart but the cart keeps emptying out or it loops back to the main page. Basically I can't check out due to the traffic on their site. No surprise really since it happened when they launched their polishes.

Zadi if you go to their front page and click the link from there it seems to work. They have updated the link and I did in my post.

Do you guys have a lot of stuff from them?  Do you think it's good quality?  I have never ordered from them before.  Thinking of getting the mystery box...it's in my cart.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have an eye shadow palette . The colors are nice and saturated (I use over a primer), but they do tend to have fall out, so have a fan brush on hand. I love the compact mine came in. Very sturdy, nice looking, with a mirror.

I have the shimmer palette plus a couple of hot pots. The palette has great color but there is some fallout as mimisette mentioned. The hot pots don't seem to have the same problem. They are more matte so I am wondering if that might be why.

Did anyone else get this?  I just received my box in the mail and am quite disappointed.  It wasn't at all what I expected. 

Originally Posted by VegasLover75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Did anyone else get this?  I just received my box in the mail and am quite disappointed.  It wasn't at all what I expected. 
What was in it?

3 blushes, 1 small soap sample, and 8 makeup brushes with a gold pouch to hold them.  Some of the disappointment is because I don't wear blush and that's the only makeup in the box.  I expected more of an assortment.

I emailed them about this and here is their reply:

Thank you for Coastal Scents. We are sorry to hear of your disappointment. However, as advertised and stated online in the product description:

Every box will contain an array of our most beloved cosmetics, which may include the following: brushes, makeup, and other products. However, we appreciate your feedback.

Originally Posted by VegasLover75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

3 blushes, 1 small soap sample, and 8 makeup brushes with a gold pouch to hold them.  Some of the disappointment is because I don't wear blush and that's the only makeup in the box.  I expected more of an assortment.
I'm really sorry you were unhappy. Maybe you can put them on your trade list here and get something else you want.

Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm really sorry you were unhappy. Maybe you can put them on your trade list here and get something else you want.
Great idea!  I rarely complain about all my monthly boxes, this one just really irked me.  Their customer service wasn't good, I will not be ordering from them again.  Lesson learned!

I've normally had good customer service with them, when approaching them about a defective product or incorrect/missing items.  There's usually little to no issues when contacting them about that.

I guess it's always a bit difficult when you're not happy with the products you get in a mystery box though, especially since every mystery box was different.  Not liking the contents is one of the pivotal risks of buying a mystery bag.  I'm sure if some of your products were damaged, or if the value was actually less than $20, they would have been more able to do something for you.

But I don't know that just not liking the items you got would be something that they "should" do something about?  I don't think that sending you another box or giving a refund would be fair since technically the only thing wrong with the box you got is that you don't wear blush.  They wouldn't have known that you don't use blushes, nor could they plan to send a box with blushes to be sent to a person who doesn't wear blush.  I looked up a few other unboxings and it seems that everybody got something different (pretty much everybody got a bunch of brushes, then 2-5 makeup items, and then the occasional "other" item)

I personally haven't been jumping on the mystery box train, because I like to know what I'm spending my money on before I buy it.  If I bought something and didn't like it (or worse, liked something similar to it a lot better), I'd feel like I wasted my money that could have gone towards something I actually did want a lot more.

Try out those brushes though, since their brushes are typically very good (the brushes are the reason why I love Coastal Scents), so it won't be a total loss?  If you don't have luck in the trade forum, you might be able to save the blushes and gift it to somebody down the line, maybe as a Christmas present or something too.

Mystery bags/boxes are unknown items, you really can't complain because you never know what's coming. I decided not to order a mystery box for a variety of reasons including that I was having issues with their website (would clear my cart out) and decided it was too risky to be disappointed I'll just stick with buying things I want to try.

I'm with the other ladies..mystery bags are a crap shoot. You really don't know what you're getting and to be miffed because the items aren't to your taste doesn't equate a reason to get a refund..lol, I felt the same way with one of my Julep mystery boxes. Now, I try to keep an open mind and figure it can go on my swap/gift/sell list if I'm not happy with it. The brushes should be pretty interesting. Do you use any makeup that would warrent them? I think everyone should have duplicates of brushes, lol!

You make some very good points.  I realize they wouldn't know that I don't use blush.  I just expected a variety of things.  I am used to the great service that birchbox gives.  This was my first order with Coastal, I would assume they would want me to place more orders in the future but their response really didn't appear that way.  I like your suggestion of gifting the brushes.   

Originally Posted by Annelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've normally had good customer service with them, when approaching them about a defective product or incorrect/missing items.  There's usually little to no issues when contacting them about that.

I guess it's always a bit difficult when you're not happy with the products you get in a mystery box though, especially since every mystery box was different.  Not liking the contents is one of the pivotal risks of buying a mystery bag.  I'm sure if some of your products were damaged, or if the value was actually less than $20, they would have been more able to do something for you.

But I don't know that just not liking the items you got would be something that they "should" do something about?  I don't think that sending you another box or giving a refund would be fair since technically the only thing wrong with the box you got is that you don't wear blush.  They wouldn't have known that you don't use blushes, nor could they plan to send a box with blushes to be sent to a person who doesn't wear blush.  I looked up a few other unboxings and it seems that everybody got something different (pretty much everybody got a bunch of brushes, then 2-5 makeup items, and then the occasional "other" item)

I personally haven't been jumping on the mystery box train, because I like to know what I'm spending my money on before I buy it.  If I bought something and didn't like it (or worse, liked something similar to it a lot better), I'd feel like I wasted my money that could have gone towards something I actually did want a lot more.

Try out those brushes though, since their brushes are typically very good (the brushes are the reason why I love Coastal Scents), so it won't be a total loss?  If you don't have luck in the trade forum, you might be able to save the blushes and gift it to somebody down the line, maybe as a Christmas present or something too.

I bought the mystery box. I have to say it was  shipped pretty fast. Was not happy with my box at all.  A Kabuki brush, ugly mineral blush, quad of four brown eye shadows, and a pouch with brushes.  The brush set looks kind of nice but I have not use for anything else. So off it goes to my sisters and niece. I have it stop buying mystery boxes. They are almost always bad and never worth the price that is stated!

I got a very similar box as VegasLover75. The brushes aren't marked, but from looking at their website, I believe I got the classic stippling brush (I like this one a lot), a classic blush brush, a hot pink kabuki brush, a travel brush set in a black pouch that contains 7 brushes (2 blush/powder, 2 eyeshadow, one angle brush for eyes, lip brush and an eyebrow brush). I also received three of their mineral blushes, a giant jar of sterling glitter and a sample of their African black soap. The freebies were a small pot of mineral eyeshadow in aqua zone and that fun I heart makeup sticker (I actually think that's pretty cute!).

Overall, I wasn't expecting so many brushes, that's for sure. But I actually don't mind it because when I thought about it, I don't really have that many brushes (maybe 4 that I use) and I don't have a travel set. These ones I got feel really nice and I have heard good things about Coastal Scents brushes. I rarely go out and buy brushes so now I have a nice set for my makeup arsenal. It is a lot though! 

The blushes are in lovely colours - Sheer Radiance, Sheer Natural and Essence. The Sheer Natural is actually light enough to use as a highlighter as well. 

The jar of glitter is just fun. Never have I had such a large canister of cosmetic glitter - this will be fun to add and try out different looks (it'll transform all my loose mineral shadows from day to night!)

So definitely a box I wasn't expecting (I was kind of hoping for an eyeshadow quad) but upon closer inspection, not a bad box for me either. For sure this will differ from person to person - and if you have a lot of brushes, you might not be too impressed. 

I ordered the mystery box about a week ago and just received it today. I was obviously very excited and curious to see what was in the box, so I searched on the internet for unboxings and what not.  I have to say after reading these reviews and watching unboxings on youtube I started to worry and regret ordering the box. I ordered a brush set with the brush and some other makeup products. So after reading that the majority of girls who ordered the box recieved brushes i was nervous.  

However, I am very happy with the box that i received.  The box contained a mineral blush, 2 mineral eye shadow, an eye shadow quad with very pretty and different colors from what I saw other boxes had.  A portable eyelash curler, a eye pencil sharpener, a sample of the african black soap, and 4 brushes. ( a buffer which i was hoping for since it did not come in the brush set, 2 foundation brushes, and what looked like an eye shadow brush.) 

It must have just depended on what they had on hand at the store at the time you ordered your box. 

Latest posts

Back