CPNA 2012: Manic Panic's Creature of the Night cosmetic line

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tish and Snooky's Manic Panic has been in business for 35 years, I've been a fan of their products almost as long. I was pleasantly surprised to see their booth at Cosmoprof North America Trade Show in Las Vegas and had the chance to talk to Eileen Bellomo, better known as Snooky, herself! She and her sister Tish Bellomo are living legends.

Manic Panic opened in New York City on July 7, 1977 when the Bellomo sisters opened the first punk rock boutique in the world. Over the years their most popular product is the Manic Panic hair dyes which can be seen on people such as Katy Perry to Amelia Arsenic. Their cosmetic line is also very popular with products such as DREAMTONEâ„¢ Flawless Foundation and Color Corrector and VIRGINâ„¢ Pressed Powder used by countless people around the world (including me).

Snooky was so sweet and so personable that I absolutely enjoyed talking to her and picking her brain on what color green to use on my eldest daughter who would like to have green tips for her senior year. Big, BIG thank you to Snooky for taking the time to talk to me and making her recommendations. How often does the chance come to talk to a living legend and getting her recommendations? Uh, like never! She's among the few people where I was giddy with excitement and even thinking about the conversation I had with her just puts a big ol' smile on my face. I love her and I got to talk to her. Yup, I'm a happy camper.

At CPNA I had the chance to see the Manic Panic hair dyes along with a new product which will be released in upcoming weeks called Dye Away. Dye Away will be sold for about 99 cents a packet and is meant to help remove the any dye from the skin. What was shown at CPNA were mock ups of the wipes and the final product is currently not available. I'm excited for Dye Away because one of the reasons I stopped dying my own hair is the fact that it can get messy with dye getting on the ears or around the hair line. There are other products that are similar on the market however Manic Panic products tend to be vegan friendly and while I'm not a vegan I do appreciate products that are. (Though I would a complete hypocrite to say that I didn't buy non-vegan products because I do.)

Also at CPNA, Alexander Lebedev was showing his Creatures of the Night cosmetic line. Among the products shown were Pretty in Punk eye shadow compact Side A and Side B compacts (I was given Side B) , Sooo 80's Eye Kit, Psychodrama Eye Kit, Melodrama Eye Kit (which I was also given), Refill eyeshadow - singles, Final Curtain Total Look Kit, the nail polishes (I was given Heavy Metal), the lip sticks and lip glosses (which I was also given a couple). Eye Wear Crème Eyeshadow & Liner were also being shown along with the crème foundation and press powders which I wish I could have played with more. I did order Spectral (press powder) along with Supernatural Crème Foundation along with a few refills for Side B.

Side A and Side B compacts are not only contain two eye shadows but can be used as a wristlet. There is a hidden compartment for a credit card or some cash. Unfortunately my Side B compact did not have a strap with it but no biggie since I wouldn't take it with me when I go out. What I love about Melodrama and Side B are the pans are refillable and interchangeable. The Side A and Side B compacts are sold for $12 while the refills are $4 each. On top of that the pans are magnetic so you can pick up all the pans and use them in a Z Palette if you want or any other magnetic palette that holds rectangular pans. I will follow this post up with my reviews of the products over the coming weeks.

The Creatures of the Night line is actually about two years old and is located in Bothell, WA (near Seattle) so I plan on visiting them next year or maybe, if possible, later this year (before snow hits the pass).
FTC Disclaimer: Not affiliated nor compensated by Manic Panic. Items given to me are for my own personal use and my reviews will be 100% honest. No further consideration given nor implied.

Seeing this post made me smile. In high school I used a purple "temporary" Manic Panic product on my long hair. There was about 4 inches of still frosted ends on my hair (my mistake of course). Well the brown part turned this gorgeous dark shiny plum color but the old frosted parts were bright purple. They ended up fading after a few months to an odd dark pinky purple. My mother was not pleased at all but as a teenager I thought it was just great haha.

I've been a Manic Panic fan for years, thank you for this post! I've never actually made the plunge and bought any of their makeup, because it's hard to find reviews for them. The prices for the Side A/ Side B compacts and refills are fantastic, though. 

There's a completely vegan line of 'unnatural' colored dye called Special Effects that's completely vegan. I personally haven't tried it, but I know some people that do, and love it. 
Also, slapping cold cream on your ears, face, and neck keeps the dye from staining your skin. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I absolutely ADORE Manic Panic!!!! 
lovelovee.gif

Idk if too many people do, but if you want advice about their colors you can call either one of their retail boutiques and speak with someone (which I've done more times than I'd like to admit). I called about 2 years ago with a question about whether or not Manic Panic contained Metallic salts and the employee said she didn't know, and put me on the phone with Snooky (who I'm assuming was visiting?). It was only like a 2 minute long conversation, but it was awesome getting advice from her and she was super nice. I'm pretty sure I sounded like a crazy fangirl 
doh.gif

Oh and I've tried quite a few of their cosmetic items and love them!! Their Dreamtone color corrector and powder eyeshadows are awesome. If anyone is thinking about taking the plunge I'd say go for it 
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Fairest of all /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I absolutely ADORE Manic Panic!!!! 
lovelovee.gif

Idk if too many people do, but if you want advice about their colors you can call either one of their retail boutiques and speak with someone (which I've done more times than I'd like to admit). I called about 2 years ago with a question about whether or not Manic Panic contained Metallic salts and the employee said she didn't know, and put me on the phone with Snooky (who I'm assuming was visiting?). It was only like a 2 minute long conversation, but it was awesome getting advice from her and she was super nice. I'm pretty sure I sounded like a crazy fangirl 
doh.gif

Oh and I've tried quite a few of their cosmetic items and love them!! Their Dreamtone color corrector and powder eyeshadows are awesome. If anyone is thinking about taking the plunge I'd say go for it 
smile.gif
Their jewelry rocks, too, btw.

Wow! Thanks so much for the great reviews!!! 

Peace, love and lipstick,

Snooky

Manic Panic NYC

Latest posts

Back