Curling Irons

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i'm new to this forum, so i've glanced through a few pages, but i didn't see anything on this, but if there is one, i apologize for the duplicate!

last week, i bought a hot tools 2" curling iron. it got awesome reviews on folica.com from people who've used it. the look i'm going for is loose curls at the bottom of my hair. i'm sure you know what i mean.

this iron heated up quickly with lots of settings, but when i tried to curl my hair, what i would get was an "L"-shaped crease and that was all. i tried it on my mom's and my sister's hair, but only got the same result.

i returned it and got a ceramic tools curling iron that's 1 1/4" and i haven't used it yet, but i plan on it soon, of course.

anyone know why i got the "L"-shaped crease? was the barrel too big? do you think 1 1/4" is too small for those loose curls?

also, any tips for those curls i'm trying to do would definitely be helpful and appreciated - very much
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Jennifer i'm new to this forum, so i've glanced through a few pages, but i didn't see anything on this, but if there is one, i apologize for the duplicate!
last week, i bought a hot tools 2" curling iron. it got awesome reviews on folica.com from people who've used it. the look i'm going for is loose curls at the bottom of my hair. i'm sure you know what i mean.

this iron heated up quickly with lots of settings, but when i tried to curl my hair, what i would get was an "L"-shaped crease and that was all. i tried it on my mom's and my sister's hair, but only got the same result.

i returned it and got a ceramic tools curling iron that's 1 1/4" and i haven't used it yet, but i plan on it soon, of course.

anyone know why i got the "L"-shaped crease? was the barrel too big? do you think 1 1/4" is too small for those loose curls?

also, any tips for those curls i'm trying to do would definitely be helpful and appreciated - very much
smile.gif

Hey Jen!Actually you probably just got that because either you 1. were curling hair against the direction you clamped. 2. Didn't roll the iron up high enough.

Now by "L" shaped creases, I don't know whether you mean that you literally had a sharp 90 degree crease, or that you didn't really get an actual curl, but more of a bend. But to get a smooth uniform curl, you should make sure you get the very end of the hair into the clamp, and make sure you roll the hair in the same direction as the direction as the clamped ends. For example, if you put the ends of your hair in the clamp, and the ends are facing AWAY from you... you hand should be rolling the iron clockwise away (and under) from you... if the ends are FACING you, you should be rolling the iron counter-clockwise upward with your hand coming toward you... You dont want the hair right at the edge of the clamp to go right over the clamp. (Sorry if Im making this confusing!) You want the hair to completly wrap around the barrel FIRST before coming to the clamp. This will keep it in one curl and not give you a 'clamp crease'... if you just aren't getting a curl, you should roll the iron up higher toward the top of your head... as the curl will fall, and you want at least 2 full rotations around the iron just for "end curls"... otherwise you'll just get wispy angled look... Especially with a large barrel iron... 2" is fine for loose curls, a 1-1/4" inch might be a little tight of a curl at first, but should loosen up throughought the day... just pick the curl apart with your fingers and feather it out if it's too severe of a curl. If you need anything else, just ask... also let me know if you need more clarification on this... It's hard to explain -
icon_redface.gif

THANK YOU SO MUCH! that was very helpful! i realized i wasn't doing it the way you just said. it took a while for me to understand it. i was reading it and kinda sitting here like
eek.gif
, but i got it LOL

thank you SO much. i'm gonna blowdry my hair right now and try it and i'll be back to let you know how it went!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Originally Posted by Jennifer THANK YOU SO MUCH! that was very helpful! i realized i wasn't doing it the way you just said. it took a while for me to understand it. i was reading it and kinda sitting here like
eek.gif
, but i got it LOL
thank you SO much. i'm gonna blowdry my hair right now and try it and i'll be back to let you know how it went!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Anytime chickie!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I was trying to make it easy to understand... so I'm like sitting here going through the motions and trying to explain it! LoL I could've drawn a pic & it probably would've been easier, but i'm glad you understood my confusion!
tongue.gif
But if you want a diagram, just let me know!

okay, i tried it last night. i did it after blowdrying and straightening because when i blowdry, my hair is WHOA big (especially after my new volumizer which made it HUGE), so i straightened it. i then took my curler and did what you said and no crease! however, it was just a little wave in, but no curl
frown.gif
i would've kept trying, but i was SO tired, so i went to bed.

i'm gonna try again tonight. just wanted to tell you
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Jennifer okay, i tried it last night. i did it after blowdrying and straightening because when i blowdry, my hair is WHOA big (especially after my new volumizer which made it HUGE), so i straightened it. i then took my curler and did what you said and no crease! however, it was just a little wave in, but no curl
frown.gif
i would've kept trying, but i was SO tired, so i went to bed.
i'm gonna try again tonight. just wanted to tell you
smile.gif

That's great Jen! Glad you at least got rid of that crease! lol
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Try rolling it a little higher up, and if you have a styling spray (or even a little hairspray... just a little though)spray it on & it will help hold the curl... being you just washed & conditioned your hair, it might've been too soft last night. Try using less conditioner on the ends next time - usually helps... and what is this new volumizer you're using!!! I want it!!! LOL
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 That's great Jen! Glad you at least got rid of that crease! lol
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Try rolling it a little higher up, and if you have a styling spray (or even a little hairspray... just a little though)spray it on & it will help hold the curl... being you just washed & conditioned your hair, it might've been too soft last night. Try using less conditioner on the ends next time - usually helps... and what is this new volumizer you're using!!! I want it!!! LOL
icon_cheesygrin.gif
i don't condition my hair because i hate how flat it is and didn't think it was totally necessary. i use a mask once a week for deep conditioning, though, but i never style my hair the same day or next day until i wash my hair again with just shampoo, but i'll definitely try the hairspray!
i'll try again tomorrow because it's easier to style my hair a few days after i wash it.

the new volumizer is big sexy hair volumizing gel. i just wrote a review on it...

https://www.makeuptalk.com/reviews/sh...=17&pro_id=621

thanks again for your help! i'll keep you updated
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Jennifer i don't condition my hair because i hate how flat it is and didn't think it was totally necessary. i use a mask once a week for deep conditioning, though, but i never style my hair the same day or next day until i wash my hair again with just shampoo, but i'll definitely try the hairspray!
i'll try again tomorrow because it's easier to style my hair a few days after i wash it.

the new volumizer is big sexy hair volumizing gel. i just wrote a review on it...

https://www.makeuptalk.com/reviews/sh...=17&pro_id=621

thanks again for your help! i'll keep you updated
smile.gif

Ah! I already have it! LOL (It's that twin thing again! LOL) I have to dig that out! I have so much stuff that I got at a trade show last year that I don't know WHAT I have anymore! LOL And I'm going back to the show again next month for more! LOL
tongue.gif
I love Sexy Hair Concepts... everything they make is pure heaven!
smile.gif
yeah.. with the iron...either a styling spray or some hairspray should hold it up a bit better.

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Ah! I already have it! LOL (It's that twin thing again! LOL) I have to dig that out! I have so much stuff that I got at a trade show last year that I don't know WHAT I have anymore! LOL And I'm going back to the show again next month for more! LOL
tongue.gif
I love Sexy Hair Concepts... everything they make is pure heaven!
smile.gif
yeah.. with the iron...either a styling spray or some hairspray should hold it up a bit better.
LOL definitely the twin thing again
tongue.gif

i have to look more into that line!

i need help on finding a good curling iron please.
sdrop.gif

i have fine hair. i've tried using a curling iron before but i think my hair is too fine that it does not curl.

i've actually tried this one curling iron that heats up pretty high (i'm not sure what temperature it goes up to), and i noticed the higher the heat the better my curls came out. but it took an hour or so to curl my whole head.

i don't want my hair fried.

so i'm looking for an iron that works wonders on thin hair and that actually curls.

i have no clue what brand is best for me..

this doesn't have anything to do w/ this thread but also, what brand of hot rollers should i look into?

thanks in advance.
wink.gif

Latest posts

Back