Customs:Has it gotten you

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE: STill no Custom charges for any Memebox's to me in Canada, Ontario, this is about my 70th memebox, so I think its safe to say I won't get charged in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE: STill no Custom charges for any Memebox's to me in Canada, Ontario, this is about my 70th memebox, so I think its safe to say I won't get charged in the future.
Lucky you! I got my colour boxes today and it was fine. I think and hoping it might just be that one time thing, like a random search.

I just looked into this because I'm scared about the switch in express carriers to the US. I hope that Canada Post still continues with the express deliveries here. Anyways - the duty charge for Korean cosmetics is 6.5% in Canada + GST/HST + processing fee charged by the carrier.

I'm in the UK and so far haven't had to pay any import duty or VAT. Here's what it says from the UK Gov website though;

Perfume and toilet water

If you order or purchase perfume or toilet water in person or over the internet from a country outside the EU then you have to pay:

Excise Duty on the whole consignment

Customs Duty on the whole consignment

import VAT on the whole consignment

All other goods

If you order or purchase goods other than alcohol, tobacco, perfume and toilet water from a country outside the EU then you have to pay:

Customs Duty on goods with a value that exceeds £135

import VAT on goods with a value that exceeds £15

Note that on all goods from outside the EU, Customs Duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is £9 or under.

Adding a bit about the VAT its says

Import VAT rate

The percentage charged is the same VAT rate that applies to similar goods that are sold in the UK.

The import VAT percentage rate is applied to the total value of the goods. In the case of goods brought in this is the sterling equivalent of the price paid abroad, as shown on the receipt. In the case of goods posted from outside the EU, it is the amount on the Customs Declaration, which includes the price paid for the goods, the cost of transport, postage and packing, insurance and any duty that may be payable.

VAT in the UK at the moment is 20% so can work out VERY expensive as they normally also charge a flat rate fee to send you a letter telling you there is duty / VAT to pay on an item. This can be up to £12!!! You can pay in person, phone or online but the other two options usually means the parcel will not arrive for at least 24 hours.

Anything from the US / Canada is ALWAYS inspected and seems to attract a fee or some amount (I rarely buy from there for that reason). Switzerland is the same as its not part of the EU. Other countries seem to be hit or miss...

If you look at the CN22 labels on the padded envelopes, every one I can find states it's cosmetics and the goods value is $16 so it would fall under the thresholds in the UK.  Can't imagine it's much different for any other postal service

Back