DIY Gel Nails

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 I would recommend finding a good kit that includes all the tools, products and the lamp to get you started. Then you can buy different brand polishes if you want as long as they are compatible with your light. 

I'm tired of nail salons period.  I just took my "supposed" powder gel nails off and as soon as my nails heal and grow out I will be doing my own gel nails at home.

No, I haven't tried before, but my mother has been doing that in our home. I am doing gel manicure at The Nail Place. After doing this my nails are looking more natural. That process is very simple and fast that's why I like their manicure service.

Though I haven't tried gel nails (yet) I have been doing a lot of research on both acrylic and gel nails. I'm presently awaiting my first order of acrylic supplies for full acrylic nails. However what I have learned about gel nails is many now cure with LED light which is much faster than UV light. It is also much safer as UV light can burn you like a sun burn. LED light is much faster cure time. I have also been told any LED light will work. I have a LED desk light, LED bulb that fits regular stand bulb socket, that I will be curing my gel polish with when I get that. With UV a top coat might cure in 2 minutes (120 seconds) where with LED light the same polish cures in 30 seconds. Also LED light bulbs last much longer than others and take less electricity. I hope this helps.

Some tips for getting the most out of your manicure
-Always shake your gel nail polish before you apply.
-Applying the nail bonder is optional, but it’s a good thing to use to increase the bonding between your nails and the gel nail polish.
-Mix and match colors. Apply a layer of one color, cure, and then apply another gel color. This could lead to some interesting and beautiful results!

I've tried to do gel nails myself for a few times but none of them was successful, frankly speaking I never could make a proper manicure. But as my own nail are very thin I simply need to cover them with something and the only variant for me is to make gel nails at salon.

Back