Do I really need a lash primer?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do lash primers really make that much of a difference?  Is Clinique really the best reasonably priced one?

First I've never had an eyelash primer so I can't speak from experience however I would have to say no you don't need one.

I personally think that unless you have extremely oily skin, most primers are a waste of time and just a gimmick for cosmetics companies to get you to buy a new product.

Ditto with skin serums.

I personally think that unless you have extremely oily skin, most primers are a waste of time and just a gimmick for cosmetics companies to get you to buy a new product. Ditto with skin serums.
I find you get better results when you use a moisturizer and a primer before your foundation application. But that's just me. On the other hand, lash primers??? Really??? Two coats of mascara... Results achieved.

All the ones I've tried were just goopy and too wet--more than anything they weighed down my lashes. Like everyone else said, you're better off layering mascara. You could even use different types of mascara--the base coat being one that holds a curl well and thickens, the other being one that lengthens.

Lash primers always seem a bit gimmicky to me so I've never bothered with one. Bourjois used to do a mascara with a primer and it made no difference whatsoever!

I agree, an extra coat of mascara should do just fine. If your mascara isn't doing the trick, try layering two different ones or get a new one lol. The only thing I bother priming is my face and eye lids.

If by 'lash primer' you mean one of those base coats that thickens & lengthens your lashes, I say yes, they do work. Whether or not you need it, however, depends on your eyelashes. L'oreal's Double Extend waterproof mascara has a great base on one end & mascara on the other. For somebody like me with crappy lashes, I love it. It makes a huge difference in how they look & really lengthens & gives them a lot of volume. The base can be used under any mascara, actually. And the mascara itself is my all time favorite. Stays on through anything & everything. But I wouldn't spend a dime on Clinique's overpriced 'lash primer'. Their products are rubbish IMO. There are far better brands out there for that kind of price. If you're looking for something more expensive to make your eyelashes appear great without a 'primer' or a base, I'd go with Diorshow Extase mascara rather than anything Clinique sells. I was quite surprised at how great it made my eyelashes look the first time I used it, without any kind of 'primer'. Very long, more volumized & even gave my lashes a bit of a curl. I was also very surprised that it doesnt flake or run on me at all. The majority of mascaras do flake on me, which drives me crazy. Its only downfall is that its not waterproof. I'm not even sure if it comes in a waterproof formula, actually. Had I not gotten it as a freebie in one of my orders I never even would've tried it. But once this tube runs out, I'll be buying a replacement for sure. In a waterproof formula, hopefully.

Latest posts

Back