Do people think you spend too much on makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to my family and friends, probably. But i also wear more makeup more often than any of them, so i think they just can't understand my need for more makeup than just a few items. I also spend a lot less now than i used to do in the past, i will buy a few items here and there but nothing too extraordinary.

So very very veryyyyy true.

Originally Posted by jeanarick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It would look like I spend alot on makeup up because I always have something new in my bag, but I truly don't.  I buy mostly drug store makeup and sales as much as possible.  I volunteer with women who are recovering from addiction and when I look at the small fortunes they have spent on narcotics, my little makeup habit seems very reasoable.  I don't spend more than I can afford or spend bill money on makeup or buy makeup instead of groceries or neglect my families needs for makeup. As far as obsessions go, I think this is a very healthy one to have.  It promotes a sense of well being, self-confidence and over all pride in one's appearance.  Let's face it, we walk taller, smile more and feel better about ourselves when we're all dolled up.  So, I say, "Heck yeah, to makeup addicts everywhere!"

everything's good in moderation :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  As long as you're not overspending your own budget, it doesn't matter.

even a rich person would think that one of the "Real Housewives of HaveTooMuchMoney" spends too much, while people in their world probably couldn't imagine walking out of a beauty store with less than a grand purchased.

I do a lot of window shopping.  and by a lot, I mean A LOT.  I always have to stop by and look to see what they've got, what colors there are, if there are any sales.

I do a lot of shopping online so when I'm actually in a store (rare, actually, maybe once a month and that's on the high end) I'll actually look.  Doesn't mean I'll necessarily buy, and when I do buy, I've probably seen a least a dozen varieties and prices and choose from there.

People think I do, but those are the people that only buy enough makeup to wear the same thing on a daily basis. I just can't do that, my face and nails are my canvas! Not to mention there's always something I want :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

People used to but I'm getting better at not buying much anymore. When I was working full time I bought a lot more and people wondered why anyone would spend that much money on makeup (I used to buy all high end brands Chanel being my favorite) but now being a stay at home mom I don't buy much. Target is my new friend. 
smile.gif

Simply put... yes. The hubs and I have worked out a new money plan that will allow me to purchase whatever I want... but I have to save up to do it! It's good. This way I don't go crazy and I can appreciate what I purchased more. 

I guess people might think I spend too much when I splurge on something, but people who know me better know that for me to have bought that something, I probably researched it and passed up on 10 other somethings already so it's not as bad as just buying everything in sight!

I agree with the research.  I can't tell you how many times I've gone thru review after review of something before I've dived in and made a purchase.  When it comes to the cheaper stuff though, I don't mind taking a risk.  I'd have to say anything over $10 and I'm logging hours on the computer for reviews. 

Yes, I am told by my fiance, that I have enough makeup. Stop spending money on it!!

Originally Posted by kikikinzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When it comes to the cheaper stuff though, I don't mind taking a risk.
yeah I think that's why I'm a bit quicker to buy ELF honestly.  Even though more things are disappointments than the good things, the low cost tends to offput it still for me somehow >.< they've got a decent chunk of money from me over the years rofl

Me too!  I can feed my makeup obsession without bankrupting my finances.  If it's expensive, I don't dare lay down a penny without research and gettin my hands on it first. ELF too has gotten a huge chunk of my money but honestly, theres some keepers in there. 

Everyone has learned to butt out when it comes to what I spend my money on. They'd rather keep their comments to themselves than hear my "makeup is a hobby, at least I don't collect Louboutins" rant.

Yes,  that's why I hide my purchases in my purse when I walk in or leave it in the car. Which reminds me I have an Ulta bag that needs to be brought in that's still in the trunk of my car.

I think when people see my stash (which, IMO, isn't nearly as big - let alone a fraction - of what a lot of Gurus boast) people are a little surprised, but rather... interested? If that makes sense. I think one of the great things about makeup is that if it's good quality and well-applied, the average outsider can't tell whether you're wearing NARS or Revlon. It's more for me that I wear a department-store brand lipstick, so people don't tend to ask how much something costs or what brand it is, the way they would a purse, pair of shoes, or something.

Definitely. I have more than enough make up to last me a lifetime. Especially blushers I have more than 200 of them ! faintz

I don't have a huge collection of makeup, mostly because I'm still in college and I buy all of my stuff at Sephora or Nordstrom (my skin is really sensitive and it reacts to a lot of the drugstore and even some of the higher end brands, I learned the hard way that hypoallergenic is not an FDA regulated term). But whenever I do decide to buy makeup, my husband doesn't seem to care. I think after meeting my mom and sister, he's happy that I wear makeup. They don't really believe in wearing makeup, so it took awhile before I decided to do so.

Back