Do you buy off Ebay????

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont think there is anything wrong with purchasing cosmetics from ebay, but i would be hesitant about buying "MAC" from a seller online.

I agree!!!! I've bought NYX off of Ebay and everything has been fine.  However, the MAC makes me seriously question the authenticity.  I'm still looking at the Dazzleglass lot which ends tomorrow.  If it's not real, someones gonna be really peeved since the bidding was up to 88.00 this morning.  

I haven't really purchased anything off ebay...I dunno, it feels like trying to find stuff at a garage sale blindly...you can't really examine what it is you're paying for until you get it.  At least with craigslist you can usually talk to the person who is selling and see it in person before you hand over your cash, and you don't have to worry about whether they're going to deliver it too.  my online purchases are more from official stores instead.

I bought MAC couple times on Ebay. I feel like both times I was scammed =( Never doing it again.

I've only bought cosmetics on Ebay twice - my favorite discontinued Bare Escentuals blush and my favorite discontinued Aromaleigh shadow.  Both sealed, both full, never used, both from US shippers.  Also, I've used Aromaleigh and BE for so many years, and I know what their seals look like, so they were definitely legitimate.  Plus, I checked the sellers' feedback ratings before I purchased (very important to do that) - both sellers had positive feedback ratings in the thousands - tons of totally happy customers.  

It sounds like MAC is a huge problem on Ebay - is it just because it's so popular?  I don't use much MAC anymore, but I know it's pretty much the most popular brand out there.

I think people are desperate to have MAC products but dont have the money to buy them.  As I always say "If it looks too good to be true, it probably isnt".  It's kind of like the fascination with fake designer purses.  I say just save up and you'll be alot happier with the real thing. 

Once I almost bought some MAC palettes off Ebay but then I read an article about fakes and of course the ones I wanted to buy were fakes :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I haven't tried to buy other brands so I don't know if it's just as dangerous to buy them on ebay, but when it comes to MAC it's a no-go.

I'm totally against the MAC too!  I stick with US Shippers with extremely high feedback.  I usually check out the comments from other people first before I spend my money.  So far, I only have an authentic dealer on NYX products. 

their is only one seller that i'll buy mac from on ebay and that is very rare.  its easier to buy directly from mac and know what you are getting is real.  Plus having to go through paypal/ebay adds more problems if something goes wrong, such as your package not showing up.

I buy discontinued and hard to find nail polishes and a few drugstore makeup items. I think it's possible to find some nice high end deals too, but you just have to be way more careful about who you are buying from, etc as everyone has already stated above...and beware of MAC on ebay. MAC really isn't that expensive, save your money and get the real deal, or buy or trade with someone you trust here, at MUA, or a blogger you have followed and trust having a blog sale.

I love ebay more for clothes, you can find some really nice designer/department store clothing for sometimes less than you would pay for crap at Walmart. You just need time and patience to get great deals!

I've successfully bought nail polish, nail treatments, Konad supplies, Lancome mascara, Avon mascara, Stargazer lipsticks, Ecotools and ELF brushes from eBay.

I'm always really careful about checking seller feedback and ratings, looking at all available photos and information before I even THINK about hitting that buy button.

I agree certain brands are just not worth risking it on eBay, way too many fakes around. Especially MAC brushes.

I buy more books, clothes and jewellery from eBay than anything else!

I haven't had alot of luck on Ebay with clothes.  I guess clothes and shoes are two things I feel you need to try on to see if they fit correctly and actually look good on your body.  I get Victorias Secret tank tops off of there for a steal but anything else clotheswise and I pass.  I'm still looking for the good makeup deal.  

To get clothes right you have to know what size you are in what brand. Each brand does have different sizes and I can be a size 14 in one and a size 18 in another!  (I'm usually 16, if you couldn't guess. lol) Also it helps to measure your clothes that fit well and only buy clothes that have measurements, lots of ebayers do measure, and if they don't you can ask and most will do it. For example if you are hard to fit in the bust, then measure a dress or top that fits well, armpit to armpit, and only buy items that have that bust measurement.

I agree!!!! My daughter went thru a disaster not too long ago where she went to Ebay and the actual websites for clothing online.  Only one pair of pants fit her out of a bazillion tops, pants and shorts.  I told her, unless you know the exact size for the exact brand, don't do it.  Find something you like at the store, try it on and then shop online for the better deal.  I'm still hesitant though.......

I used to do a lot of ebaying, including selling. I made sure the deals I got were so good that I could get my money back if it didn't fit. So you can do that too. One way of doing that is to buy clothing in lots. Usually you get each item way below it's actual value in a lot, but if you sell the items singly you can make a bundle. I think sellers who sell in lots first of all do not have the time to write up a gazillion individual listings, and they are getting rid of clothes that no longer fit, or were gifts, so it's not as important to them to make money, just enough to make it worth their while. In other words, it's not really a business to them, they just want to get a bit of their value back. When I was ebaying, it was a business and I wanted to maximize the amount of money I was making on each item. As a stay at home mom, what I did have was time to write up those listings, but I also wanted to make some money without having to work for someone else.

Latest posts

Back