Do you TIP?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tip 15-20%. The only time I don't leave a tip if there is bad service, bad manners.

I tip servers, taxi drivers, housekeepers at motels/hotels, hair stylist.

Originally Posted by Karren /img/forum/go_quote.gif Always....
Food - 15 - 20% for good service....

WAY less for poor service....

Hotels... Tip housekeeping $5.00 per night...

Because I can.... because I appreciate good service.....

I tip only for good service. Never tip for poor service.

Uk restaurants.

Conditionally on the quality of the food/presentation/cooking and of course the service. My rate is around 10%, rounding the total. That of course is a habit (10% with poor maths) but in this day of credit card payment as a standard, then math is not involved and the amount is variable to say 15%

Hotels.

Service dependant and I do not normally tip the doorman, but the room staff.

Taxis.

As a matter of course with a big handful of the the small change.

~Samm

I always tip, a week ago I went to get my hair colored and I forgot to tip him. I actually went back the next day to give him a tip. I plan to go back so I didnt want to be known as the non-tipper, lol. He did a good job anyways, I had dyed my hair myself and it had turned orange so he fixed it.

Yes i do tip depending on the service

Here is South Africa i think its kinda of the law to give 10% to the person who is serving you.

I was a waiter for one year, and i can tell you the UK are so mean, but now i know why.. they never tipped, i would get so hacked off because you thats the money that helps us live haha

but because they dont do that in there country i see why now why they properly did not tip because they prop did not know that they should.

I tip between 20-25% at restaurants (If the server sucks then I'll tip way less)

If I am out at the bar, $1 per drink...I won't remember to tip at the end of the night.

At the hair salon I usually tip 15-20%. I am not sure what is right for that????

I always tip.There could be different reasons as to bad service beyond the server's control...bad attitudes no way.

Waiters and waitresses depend on tips for their livelihood, they usually make 2.50 per hour. So I typically tip somewhere between 20% - 25%, depending on the service.

Food servers generally make minimum wage and they have to share their tips with the bartender and bussers. If their tips are less than 8% of their sales, they still have to pay income tax on the 8% unless they can prove that they didn't make that much. I tip 10-20%, depending on the quality of service. If the service is very poor, I give an insultingly small tip to make a point. Some people don't leave a tip at all if the service is poor, but I think leaving a couple of bucks gives a stronger message, otherwise they might just thing you forgot or that you're too cheap to tip. I give delivery drivers $2-$3 and I tip 5-10% on take-out orders if it's the server that packs up my order, because they could be using that time to wait on customers in the restaurant.

I tip only for good service. Why should I tip for poor service and to someone who could clearly careless about their tip? That's just my opinion. I do not tip for carry out; they only handed me my food. I have to work hard for my money so I feel others should not just expect it.

This thread reminds me of the beginning of Reservoir Dogs... I just double whatever the sales tax is. For cabs, sometimes I tip $2, considering the metre starts at $4.75 before the driver takes it out of park.

I tip 10-15% when they are okay, at least twenty percent when they are good. I used to wait tables, so I know they live on their tips.

I pretty much always tip unless the service was poor. For food delivery I give five bucks minimum. I figure if I am too lazy to get food for myself I might as well be nice to the person bringing it to me lol. Plus we live in a tricky area so it can be hard to find us. In sit down places I give twenty percent or more. I get yelled at by certain family members for tipping too much but I tend to get great service the next time. Once I was with a huge party so they included gratuity in the check and I tipped on top of that. I thought my brother was going to blow a gasket but we had been fairly demanding. I have never worked as a waiter or waitress but I have nothing but respect for those who do. When out for drinks at bar or coffee shop I give a dollar or two per drink. At places where they make fast food and accept tips I generally give two to five depending on how much stuff I got.

I tip. Sometimes I don't really think they deserve it, but I do. I tip my tattoo artist 50% logic there is: I'm pretty loyal and I want the guy putting ink into my skin to do a damn good job.

Quote: Originally Posted by SamhopeM /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I pretty much always tip unless the service was poor. For food delivery I give five bucks minimum. I figure if I am too lazy to get food for myself I might as well be nice to the person
bringing it to me lol. Plus we live in a tricky area so it can be hard to find us. In sit down places I give twenty percent or more. I get yelled at by certain family members for tipping too much but I tend to get great service the next time. Once I was with a huge party so they included gratuity in the check and I tipped on top of that. I thought my brother was going to blow a gasket but we had been fairly demanding. I have never worked as a waiter or
waitress but I have nothing but respect for those who do.

When out for drinks at bar or coffee shop I give a dollar or two per drink. At places where they make fast food and accept tips I generally give two to five depending on how much stuff I got.

I'm pretty much the same.  I was a waitress in college.  When dining out, I plan on 20% then go up or down from there depending on service.  I've left as low as $1 for a tip to let them know the service was not good.  If I feel our table has been a pain, I'll leave extra.  I don't tip less than $5 if the service was good, no matter the total ticket price.

We order pizza at home, and our place is tricky to find as well, so I don't tip less than $5.  If I do a "Curbside Pickup" type of deal, I usually tip $5.

For my haircut, I tip 35%+.  She is really good (for me, at least).  When we go out for drinks, it's $1/drink too.

Adding my two cents in here.

I've served at 4 different restaurants in the past 5 years, and we DO NOT make minimum wage.  We make $2.13 an hour and all of that goes to taxes so our checks are usually $0.00.  I work at a restaurant where I have to tip out 9% of my TOTAL sales to the chefs there, not to mention the bartenders and bussers.  Meaning: if you come in my restaurant and rack up a $50 bill and leave me no tip, I have to take 9% of that out of my own pocket to pay for the chef that cooked your food. Basically, I served you for negative $5 and you were probably rude as hell and made me run my ass off on top of that.  Also, poor service isn't always the actual servers fault.  We rely on bartenders, chefs, kitchen help and others to get you what you need and sometimes it doesn't always work out right.  Servers tend to be the ones who always get blamed, though.

That being said, I love it and I hate it.  I worked today for 5 and a half hours and walked out with $180.  It has it's pros and cons just like every other job.

I tip 20-30% on any service I receive (salons, restaurants, deliveries, taxis, etc.) and if you were awesome, I'll tip more.

Back