Does religion matter when it comes to makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Christian cosmetic company; very interesting. Personally, I feel religion is just so personal and I don't see how that can affect a product like make-up. I love in-n-out burger, they are very religious but that isn't gonna stop me from buying their food. Of course I make the obligatory smart ass comment when I'm there, but its just my way of showing that I have a large capacity for what people believe in; I tease cuz I love
smile.gif

Over all, I think people just need to be groovy and take a look at the over all picture in order to see how one groups beliefs is gonna affect blush and eyeshadow

Make-up? - Religion? Don't see a connection there, I'm just buying makeup not praying or having cults with them!

Originally Posted by Leza1121 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi,
Animal testing I can appreciate, but religion....

same here! i couldn't care what religion they are.

So glad to hear voices of reason on this forum. I feel like I was talking to walls on the other forum. First of all, it's a Christian run company, meaning the family that owns the business is Christian. That doesn't mean all proceeds go to the church or anything, just that the people who makes the makeup are Christians.

Another thing that gets me is these people are selling a product, they're not giving it away for free or trying to lure people to join a cult. They are simply offering a mineral makeup line. If you don't like it, don't buy it. But don't say it's because they are run by religious people (god forbid someone have faith in something!), don't buy it because you don't like the product. I feel bad for the owner of Joppa, she's not register on that forum so she can't even defend herself. These people are such whimps that they won't post on the Joppa message board for all their rantings, so they go on another website and trash the company. Honestly they are not even being fair, how the heck do you criticize someone on their believes when you're supposedly talking about makeup?

I totally agree - as long as the company aren't a terrorist cult then what does it matter?

IMO it is extremely prejudice and racist to say bad things about someone/something because of their religion. Just because they are Christians people feel the need to bash their faith. i'm a born again Christian but I'm treat like some sort of weirdo cult freak by people in England just because it's portrayed badly on tv soaps etc.

I could go on about this subject but I'm not going to....going to keep my views to myself

i think religion is very personal, so i will never judge people because of their views and believes. if the product is good, i buy it, and don't care who makes it or sell it. people should ask themselves why connect religion and makeup where there is no reason to? they are two different things. it's not like you could be contaminated by christian religion and suddenly feel the urge to go to the church and confess. so mix them is just a bad excuse for racist people, and that's sad to be so narrow-minded.

Originally Posted by Sereia /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't want to to hurt anyone's feelings, but I hate when ppl becomes so obsessed with religion (whatever religion that is) that they become unrational and stupid. I agree with you..

That's just rediculious. And how is Joppa Christian, are the people who make it Christian or is it made in a Christian way (there is no such way), or some what other nonsense. I don't think it says anywhere in the Bible not to wear red lipstick for so and so reasons. Some people are just looking for a reason to start an argument...

I have never heard of Joppa. To me, a company's religious affiliation has nothing to do with beauty products.....UNLESS a portion of the profits go to a purpose I don't support. I've never even thought twice about a beauty product company's affiliation.

Originally Posted by spikeyli /img/forum/go_quote.gif how the heck do you criticize someone on their believes when you're supposedly talking about makeup? i recently got into an argument on Swaptawk when some people started bashing MAC because the owner of Estee lauder Ronald Lauder is Jewish and supports the excistence of Israel. I mean WTF???? You're not bashing terrorists, you're bashing a person who's actively trying to promote peace in the region
sleepyhead.gif

Originally Posted by Cool Kitten /img/forum/go_quote.gif i recently got into an argument on Swaptawk when some people started bashing MAC because the owner of Estee lauder Ronald Lauder is Jewish and supports the excistence of Israel. I mean WTF???? You're not bashing terrorists, you're bashing a person who's actively trying to promote peace in the region
sleepyhead.gif
yeah, how dare a Jewish person support the existence of Israel, their homeland. Sheesh, people are just crazy.
The makeup is made by people who happens to be Christian, that's why they call themselves a Christian company. The money goes straight to the family and when they feel like it, they donate to the church of their choice. If people see that as supporting a religious organization, then they might as well don't buy anything from anyone. Because I guarantee most of the money you spend on products will end up in the church's hand one way or another.

Originally Posted by spikeyli /img/forum/go_quote.gif Because I guarantee most of the money you spend on products will end up in the church's hand one way or another. for that matter employers can just stop paying people because people might donate their money to religious organizatons.

I try not to buy products from companies that do animal testing, but that's personal choice. If I found out a company was actively promoting a cause I disagreed with, then I wouldn't buy from them anymore. That's my right as a consumer. I've never heard of Joppa either.....

Originally Posted by Cool Kitten /img/forum/go_quote.gif for that matter employers can just stop paying people because people might donate their money to religious organizatons. LOL, good point. You don't want to hire certain employees either, god forbid the people who work on your product belong to a particular religion. That might contaminate your product and you'd wake up in the morning wanting to say Hail Marys and do the sign of the cross.

It's just silly when people become so obsessed with religion. I guess it just shows how much social control they really have on certain individuals.

It's just like the whole "blue" and "red" companies in terms of politics. I mean I'm not a Republican, but if I didn't go to all the companies that Republicans owned I would have a very difficult time. But at the same time, when Wal-Mart wants to put up a store in historical Aztec ruins (which it has) I would certainly protest.
wink.gif

I too am a born again Christian and I think it is very nice that Joppa lets the consumers know up front that they are Christian. I'd much rather have a business be upfront about their beliefs than to find out later that they were a cult or something.

I actually bought some Joppa and really like it. I first got word from Spikeyli here on the board but in all honesty when I read that they were a christian owned company that is what made me try it.

i don't care wut religion the company is. i'm buying their product, not their religion.

Back