Does sampling lead to more purchases?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely! If I really like a sample I will buy it in a larger size. If the company doen't offer samples I am much less likely to buy... especially with foundation or skin care.

I think samples are really important online since it is harder to see the true color on the screen and minerals have all different formulations. For eyeshadows, some shades I know I will like and I'll buy full size right away but there are other shades I am iffy about or want to make sure the shade is different enough from another shade I already have. For foundation, once i find one I am happy with I will buy full size. I sample to expand my brand range and generally I do follow up with full sizes if I like the samples.

Yes, it does. Sampling, to me, is very important. Just like, i'd swatch a color at department stores to see if i want to buy it. it does lead to FS. Sometimes, samples are 1/4 tsp, and I couldn't possibly use them all, so I wouldn't buy FS anytime in near future.

Right now, I'm obsessed with a company's colors as they provide full range of them. They're the first company which I ever bought any FS from. I'm afraid some colors won't be around..
4.gif

I don't like sampling at all
whistling.gif
(but I do sample foundations). I usually buy FS products (liners, e/s, veils...) and, while I'm already there, I take few foundation samples just to try it. If I like it, I'll buy FS when I run out of my current foundation.

I almost never put my order just for samples.

i love samples and yes, it does lead to more purchasing but that is not a bad thin it gives people a oportunity to explore and like or don't like i don't purchase foundation anymore because thats were bare minerals dark kit comes in, but i do buy alots of eyeshadows samples and the ones in the jar. and i know you guys are probably tire of reading this from me but, but, pure luxe minerals have some good deals on samples wherever sample you want for only a dollar and it gives you a 1/8 tsp in a jar so go check them out they even have glow in the dark eye shadows lol. and the costumer service is very good in my opinion.

Yes, definitely. Especially if it is expensive, in which case I want to make sure it's worth buying.
smile.gif

i definitely love sampling around and if i like it, i buy the full size. im starting to think that i should try avoiding sampling so as to avoid from buying more haha

I so agree! But from one company i ordered 15 samples and none of them was a match. The formula was the best i ever tried, so in some kind of rage i dumped all the samples together in a big mixing jar i got from EDM. And VOILA: a perfect match
11dh.gif

This mmu company offers customized shades, but oh my i think they are going to have a laugh when i order mine.

I will buy samples of eyeshadows and then a few weeks later I will buy full sizes.

I order samples of eyeshadows a lot & after I catch myself reaching for the sample a lot I go ahead & order the full size. Once I get the full size though my chances of using that up are pretty low so rarely reorder full sized eyeshadows.

Yes it does. I love samples and if I like the product then I will buy a full size. If I don't then I've only lost a few cents. Sampling for me is a must.

I think that's the fun in mineral makeup or any makeup. How many people go to Dillards, Macy's, or what ever department store there is and try their samples out? It's very hard to find good matches because we are all so different. Our faces change from season to season, so their is always a need to find different colors. Also, people on a budget it is a great way to get mineral makeup and save a few bucks. So, I say HollyC sample as much as you can. It's fun!!

Originally Posted by speedy /img/forum/go_quote.gif I've bought lots of things after trying a sample. If I like the sample, I'll buy the full size. The same thing I do.

I've just started sampling and it can become addictive. I've restrained myself and have made two small and one medium sized purchase (with a money-off coupon). The last one was from EDM. Three foundation samples, one blush sample and a concealer sample for just the shipping cost, which was $4.60 for me. I imagine it's less for those of you in the US too. For just starting out the possibility of getting a little bit of everything and finding out which works best for you without wasting massive jars is pretty awesome.
smile.gif

I absolutely love to sample. I feel really bad buying something, then not liking it and returning it. I know the companies I buy from encourage it, but I still feel bad about doing it!

On the otherhand, samples can definately add up in cost though especially when the prices aren't free like EDM. I spent nearly $30 on samples which included shipping from a particular company and in the end nothing worked out for me. No way to return the samples either. You're stuck with something you can't wear and out of money.

After all that, I decided to stop testing MMU for a while.

ok I think there are two sides, sampling is kinda very addicting...collecting all the cute little jars and slathering all the different colors on your face, and even if the foundation matches, you are determined to find the perfect match, or eyeshadow color, or anything. But I do think that if you are happy enough to buy full sized products, you will. I have yet to buy a full size, but I have ordered alot of extras and things, like lip glosses and such, so I don't feel like I am taking advantage, I really want to try what is best for my skin without spending money on something I will not use!

I love the advantages that the small natural US companies give by making samples available. The discounts I have found have been too keen to resist and in many cases I have found the quality to follow suit. I am amassing quite a collection of eye makeup pigments from various vendors and my sights are expanding. I will also say that when I find an exceptionally beautiful pigment I immediately return to place a full size purchase and include more samples of other untried items.

With EDM first, and now Fyrinnae, yes, sampling leads to purchasing.

I don't order from EDM nowadays, but I'll still order from Fyrinnae. I LOVE them.

Back