Down the Indie Rabbit Hole

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geek Chic sent me an email today saying they were overwhelmed by the holiday sales and that my shipment would be past normal the 7 day processing mark.
I can't say I'm unhappy because I am thrilled at their customer service. This is my first order with them and I have zero issues cutting them some slack. I just appreciate the heads up! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yay, it's only taken, like, five years, but I finally made my first Haus of Gloi order!  Half a dozen different scents (all permanent catalog, not seasonal, which is unusual for me, but the seasonal stock is low right now).  Perfume oil, pumpkin butter, bubbling scrubs, and emulsifying scrubs.  Depending on how much I like these scrubs, I might be turning my attention to them over Fortune Cookie Soap.  Haus of Gloi is super local for me:  They don't have a storefront, but their shipping location is closer to me than Ulta.  And their autumn collection is just around the corner.  Based on what I've heard about them elsewhere, this is going to be a very dangerous thing for me!

Two of my favorites are:

Besame Cosmetics

TokyoMilk

Besame is all about recreating the vintage aesthetic. They make modern reproductions of classic makeup from the 1920's to the 50's. The packing is DIVINE. Ugh, I can't get enough of their products! I use their cake mascara and lipsticks the most. It's really such a classy brand and one of my indie faves. <3 If you're in the southern California area they have a store in Burbank! I was there a few days ago and it was sooooo cool seeing the owner's collection of vintage makeup on display.

I've only tried the TokyoMilk lip products, but their Ice Green Tea lip balm is amazing! They also have incredible packaging too. 
So, I just took a peek at the Besame website and holy moly that packaging. :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> That will definitely be one of my next orders! I'm looking at the lipsticks, and I think I will have to go for Besame Red and Noir Red at the lease... ahhhh! Too many pretties!

Okay. So, due to my wonderful electric bill being higher than I anticipated (thanks summer heat), I will NOT be able to buy the lip palette just yet. But, at least I have my colors picked out! I'm still definitely buying it, but I've got to be an adult and show some restraint for now..

Hopefully I can get some more hours in soon and be able to buy it before the month is out. Seeing you ladies enjoying your indies sustains me. Plus, I've still got a ton of free samples to keep me occupied.  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Can I request swatches from the impulse orders? It's payday tomorrow and I'll finally have some monies and am pondering an order.

Okay. So, due to my wonderful electric bill being higher than I anticipated (thanks summer heat), I will NOT be able to buy the lip palette just yet. But, at least I have my colors picked out! I'm still definitely buying it, but I've got to be an adult and show some restraint for now..

Hopefully I can get some more hours in soon and be able to buy it before the month is out. Seeing you ladies enjoying your indies sustains me. Plus, I've still got a ton of free samples to keep me occupied.  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Ugh, I feel ya. Summers are always brutal on the old power bill, here, along with gas being more expensive, Kids home so they are talking on the phone more, using the internet more, eating more...  :lol:   Summer is just in general a more expensive time of year, it seems! Plus taking into account vacations, water park days, summer activities... :blink:   It hurts, but priorities, right?

I'm terrified to see my electric bill.  This summer is the first time in my adult life that I've had an air conditioner (I've named it Bobby.  As in Drake), and I've been taking full advantage of it.  And I'm going to be *very* thankful I have it this weekend:  It's supposed to be 97 outside, which translates to 107 in my living room.  I'm planning on holing up in my bedroom (where the AC lives) and marathoning the second season of _Hemlock Grove_.

@@Shalott Yep, that power bill. Grrr. Not to mention my summer job is so uncertain. My boss won't give me a schedule! Won't give me a schedule. He says I won't be on a schedule until August because he "can't take other people's hours" Then why did you hire me?!? I've never heard such madness! One day he sent me a text 30 minutes before 11, telling me to come in at 11..... and I bike over a mile to work.... yeeeaaahhhh didn't make that shift.  <_<

So yeah, gotta ration the money in these uncertain times. I wish bosses wouldn't treat us employees so poorly. I shouldn't be given a dirty look for asking for enough hours to pay my bills. Imagine, wanting hours at your job? Crazy right? Haha.

Still, I'll be an adult and wait to buy my toys until after I know I've got some extra moolah. It'll be all the more sweeter when I can get that lip palette!

Okay, so Impulse Cosmetics is officially on my birthday wish list for next month! Give me all the shiny, sparkly pretties!

@@Shalott Yep, that power bill. Grrr. Not to mention my summer job is so uncertain. My boss won't give me a schedule! Won't give me a schedule. He says I won't be on a schedule until August because he "can't take other people's hours" Then why did you hire me?!? I've never heard such madness! One day he sent me a text 30 minutes before 11, telling me to come in at 11..... and I bike over a mile to work.... yeeeaaahhhh didn't make that shift.  <_<

So yeah, gotta ration the money in these uncertain times. I wish bosses wouldn't treat us employees so poorly. I shouldn't be given a dirty look for asking for enough hours to pay my bills. Imagine, wanting hours at your job? Crazy right? Haha.

Still, I'll be an adult and wait to buy my toys until after I know I've got some extra moolah. It'll be all the more sweeter when I can get that lip palette!
I had a job like that, luckily I was on the end of getting all the hours from my supervisor, while fellow co-workers got less. He won't do it because it sounds like the schedules are already made up through August, and hours are constrained by some budgeted limit. Yeah it's dumb, but I had a coworker who would just call fellow coworkers on the day they were scheduled and ask if they wanted her to work their shift. Was so silly and sneaky, but when it's a few hours before you're scheduled, and someone calls asking if they can take your shift, you can be darned sure I said yes pretty much every time. Because heck no I didn't really want to go in.  See if you can do something like that until you're officially on the schedule.

@@BSquared Anything in particular you want swatched? I have quite a few colors, I can give you what I have!
Yes, all the pretties!

One more question ladies - arm swatches or lip swatches? Because as beautiful as the Impulse swatch pictures are, I've found that the beautiful lady who does them, tends to layer on a LOT more product than makes sense for the rest of us, hence they are usually a little lighter (although still opaque) than what you see on the website.

Oh gosh anything or either! I'd love to see your favorites!! I have a somewhat large cart ready to go. I was so excited by the lipsticks I didn't even realIze they had eye shadows. And GLITTER. This is dangerous.

PS: have you (or anyone) tried their glue/base thing? I think I need to invest in one if I'm going to start this spiral. Lurking has taught me GDE foil me is a good one, but is it so far better than others that I NEED it??

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh gosh anything or either! I'd love to see your favorites!! I have a somewhat large cart ready to go. I was so excited by the lipsticks I didn't even realIze they had eye shadows. And GLITTER. This is dangerous.

PS: have you (or anyone) tried their glue/base thing? I think I need to invest in one if I'm going to start this spiral. Lurking has taught me GDE foil me is a good one, but is it so far better than others that I NEED it??
I haven't tried anything from Impulse Cosmetics (and I've heard nothing about their primer/base) - but Darling Girl Cosmetics has a Glitter Glue that's super popular and a Superstar Serum that can be used to turn loose eyeshadows into liners.

Pixie Epoxy by Fyrinnae is probably the most famous glitter base in the indie community - however, it is a little tricky to apply (you only need a very small amount and you need to let it dry/get tacky a bit before you start patting the glittery eyeshadow on). Fyrinnae is actually the brand that Impulse Cosmetics stole eyeshadow pics from (Impulse Cosmetics has completely reformatted their website since then, though - and all the current pics are legit). The Impulse Cosmetics shadows look super pretty!

Okay, imma swatch what I have any that you want to see more of just let me know. My school is on break this week so I have plenty of free time.

@@BSquared as for the glitter base, I haven't tried it because I don't use use glitter enough to need one. :lol: I find that just wetting the brush before I use glitter is good enough for my purposes.

Latest posts

Back