Dramatic difference with make-up?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just wondering does anyone think its possible to do a complete face change with makeup? i look a lot better with makeup (as im sure most people do) but the reason im asking is, i really really want to work in Greece next Summer as a bar tender. I'm almost desperate to do it but you only get employed out there if you are attractive. experience doesnt matter. your face does.

i think i've mentioned before I have Body Dysmorphic Disorder so i dont know how much is in my head and how much is real but im holding back from going cos i dont want to be told "sorry you're ugly. go home"!
10.gif
10.gif
10.gif

Do you think its possible to make a whole new face out of makeup?

Ever seen someone really beautiful without their makeup and been...err...surprised??
laughing.gif

I wanna do this so much but my stoopid face is holding me back and messing up my life again!

oh and while i'm posting i'll throw this question in too: anyone had any experience/know anything about camouflage makeup? is it only available on prescription?

Honey, are you in therapy or working through this? I know what a "mental illness" (for lack of a better term) feels like, and you don't have to do it alone.

Second, are you sure that a job based solely on your looks is something you want to do given your BDD? Perhaps it wouldn't be the best fit.

Third, makeup is meant to enhance the beauty that you have. (And, yes, you do have it!)

I don't know much about BDD, but I do know what kind of torment the brain can bring. Let me know if you need anything.
smile.gif

hiya, im not in therapy and not getting any professional help but im kind of working through my BDD on my own. Its better than it was. I mean when I was in my early teens I actually wet myself in class once because I was too embarrassed to get up and go to the bathroom cos everyone would look at me and think how ugly i was. its much better than that now but it is still holding back my life.

it feels like my life is on hold and i've missed out on a lot of things and a lot of experiences because of how i look so thats kind of why i wanted to do the work abroad thing. i thought it would help "bring me out" a bit more and help me get over my phobia of meeting people etc. i dont really know if its a good idea or not though but it feels right in my heart lol

Yeeps, Don't look to makeup to find the confidence in yourself. Try to learn to be happy with who you are and what you are. Let me tell you a story.

One day while feeling particularly down I was walking back to the car dealership to pick up my car. While walking I was going past a bus stop. There was a young guy in a wheel chair. I felt as if he was going to ask me money or something, so I looked dead ahead and proceeded to walk briskly. He called out to me, sir... sir... excuse me sir. I responded and asked what he needed. What he needed was for me to get his lighter out of his pocket so he could light his smoke. His hands shriveled, leggs unusable, along with obvious motion impairment. The only thing that seemed normal about him was his mind. So here he was young and mentally complete, yet a cast off in society as a handicap.

Point is, there are people that have thing much worse than you. Try to learn to accept yourself for you are.

Originally Posted by colormeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yeeps, Don't look to makeup to find the confidence in yourself. Try to learn to be happy with who you are and what you are. Let me tell you a story.
As a former makeup addict, thats very hard. its like telling a crack addict to look inside and be happy. they will agree but they wont change. I always told my self, even when wearing the wrong shade of foundation (i was that addicted that i didnt care), that if I could just love myself, i would go barefaced. I would walk out of the house without any makeup and immediately I would get these panick attacks where I couldn't look anyone in the eye and I called myself every horrible word in the book..just because I didn't feel complete without that makeup. I felt raw, exposed, vulnerable. I think that if my self esteem was measured on a scale of 1-10, i was come out with flying negative colors!. I felt like everyone was pointing, and laughing and jeering. Heck, now that I think about it, I got more laughs and jeers while wearing makeup than I did when I wasn't wearing it. Because I had no knowledge on makeup whatsoever, but because I desperately wanted to feel beautiful i ignorantly applied whatever the Walgreen's lady recommended.
Anyway, long story short..having gone through something that psychological, it is easy to laugh at it now but when people told me that "why don't you just love yourself" i inwardly flipped them off and applied makeup the very next day. Its not easy to "love yourself" when your state of mind is anything but loving. Its all easier said than done. The only reason I think I gave up makeup was because I finally had someone that forced me to look them in the eye and when I did, I saw that He loved me regardless of how I looked, and gradually, I started loving myself. Although thats the best way to get hurt (if he dumps me, will I love myself like I do now?) I still hold on to it because it was my life saver. It was the only way I could stop hiding behind the wrong makeup and hair.

I don't even know where I was going with this. I guess i was just trying to make a point that Loving yourself doesn't come easily when you depend on something to make you feel better.

::blank stare::..I have too much time on my hands.

Maybe you should meet with a prosessional makeup artist, they'll chose the best colors for you and give you honest advice.

for me, makeup can smooth the skin, give contours where there are none and accentuate features that are already beautiful - it can make an unattractive person less unattractive, but I don't personally feel it can make an unattractive person beautiful. If someone's basic features are not attractive, then makeup can only enhance what they have.

That being said, I think it also depends at how skillful you are at application.

Anyway, I didn't mean to sound negative. I think you should go for it. If only amazingly beautiful, model like people get the job, then you don't have to feel bad if you don't get it - most people (realistically) don't look like models, they look like ordinary, attractive people. Also, they probably wont say to your face that they think you're ugly
smile.gif

I wish you the best of luck with your bdd issues and I look forward to the day when you can look at yourself in the mirror and be pleased with what you see. Good luck with the job too
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back