EM Cosmetics: Michelle Phan's new cosmetic line.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I was reading the latest posts, I was wondering when my order was going to come in and just received the shipping email. I ordered on Saturday. It's shipping from Memphis apparently and I live in Boston. Should be here in a couple days. I'll definitely have full review and swatches and compare it to other brands. And believe you me, I've tried everything from Wet n' Wild to Burberry.

I was intrigued by a brand started by MP, but honestly was just completely turned off by the site, Michelle's video (it just kinda creeped me out, with all the talk of sisterhood of company PR people, and her 'dream' of a pallete....errr....), the price and the packaging of the products.  I'm only 23 and it all looks too young for me, while having no original style or charm like theBalm or or Benefit.  It all looks like dollar store (not drug store.  dollar store) make-up packaging.  ELF packaging looks slicker. 

Plus a MASSIVE pallete... that only has eye/lip/cheek products?  For that size, and that price, I'd expect a full face pallete, with some cream liners, perhaps a powder/cream foundation and concealor... AT LEAST a bronzer and a highlighter as well.  Otherwise it's too big to justify taking anywhere like you would most all-in-one palletes, but is also too expensive and not big enough to be good stay-at-home pallete like what Coastal Scents and BH Cosmetics offer.  And the method for depotting looks weird -a sharp little stick you jam into little visible holes? 

I feel there are more elegant ways to translate MP's original idea for pallete where you could shift the pans around, such as UD's make-your-own palletes.  Or even set of concentric circles, with the blushes at the center, then the eye products, then the lip products (though I hate having lip and powder products in the same open space) on the outer ring.  You can turn each ring independently to match up a blush, eyeshadow and lippie and see how they look side-by-side.  You could make up some little catchphrase for it, "like clockwork" or something.  Or, "unlock your style" or whatever since I'm totally getting this idea from dungeon mini-game locks in Skyrim... >.>;;

I dunno, I like being to look at a pallete and instantly get a vibe for the colors present and what I can do with them, when I look the life palletes I just get confused -I wouldn't be able to match them up with their titles in a test.  From what little experience I have in graphic design I think this is because there is no obvious line, or path for your gaze to follow when looking at this pallet,  It feels crowded and random, which is odd because there IS a pattern. 

Originally Posted by katelynbby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I feel there are more elegant ways to translate MP's original idea for pallete where you could shift the pans around, such as UD's make-your-own palletes.  Or even set of concentric circles, with the blushes at the center, then the eye products, then the lip products (though I hate having lip and powder products in the same open space) on the outer ring.  You can turn each ring independently to match up a blush, eyeshadow and lippie and see how they look side-by-side.  You could make up some little catchphrase for it, "like clockwork" or something.  Or, "unlock your style" or whatever since I'm totally getting this idea from dungeon mini-game locks in Skyrim... >.>;;
OMG I LOVE your idea! She's supposedly a game lover so that would fit her other persona as well. I really like the "unlock your style".

So I was thinking, again... since this is a launch of a new cosmetic line by L'Oreal using Michelle I was thinking that while the majority of people hate the price and the palette layout that they could easily discontinue these palettes in the near future. Obviously they're probably already committed to X amount of palettes being made but as a new company I don't think they're going to have say 500,000 made already. I really think that this palette needs to be redesigned it's bulky, it's heavy, the plastic cover is cheap looking, the formulation can be revamped and that "our sisterhood" can be done away with. (Seriously dislike "our sisterhood" since it's sexist and I'm 38 I have nothing in common with an 11, 12 or 13 year old since those are my kids ages, they're not my sisters, they're my children). I have so many ideas but this is her line not mine so hopefully she realizes that there is still work to be done.

Do you folks think Michelle is out of touch with her fan base?

Seriously dislike "our sisterhood" since it's sexist and I'm 38 I have nothing in common with an 11, 12 or 13 year old since those are my kids ages, they're not my sisters, they're my children). I have so many ideas but this is her line not mine so hopefully she realizes that there is still work to be done. Do you folks think Michelle is out of touch with her fan base?
Lol! I feel the same and not digging the whole "sisterhood" thing as it exists now. I understand the concept of the community and trying to empower women, but the whole line and launch looks so pre-teen it's difficult to take seriously. Also the fact that Michelle is deleting negative comments goes against the whole "you inspire me" concept. Unless she truly is taking note of the negative comments and suggestions. It's so contradicting to say the fans I inspire me and the whole makeup line is made for the fans but then delete criticism from the fans you claim to draw inspiration from.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you folks think Michelle is out of touch with her fan base?
A lot of comments here show people think the marketing/packaging is very youthful, which would suit her young audience. If it's an audience that doesn't have the frame of reference to know the products aren't top notch, that would fit too. Why give the best to young people who can't tell the difference?* The only thing off then is the price, which means the launch price won't last. They'll have some kind of amazing sale and everyone who was on the fence initially would cave, just in time for the holiday season. And when Michelle's popularity is played out, L'Oreal will find a fresh new face and Michelle will laugh all the way to the bank.

(* I'm not condoning this!)

Quote: Originally Posted by Kristine Walker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

First those ages shouldn't be able to register, secondly WTF does a 48 year old woman want to do with those ages? I have purses older than those children. 
lmao! this reminds me of whenever my fiance goes to his fraternity events at his alma mater and he tells the new members that he has memories older than them. he was in 5th grade when these college kids were born, lol

Michelle deleted a comment I made on her post about the life palette in which i called into question the lack of quality. A combination of that and the fact that I can't seem to find reviews anywhere other than the em site makes me think that perhaps she is trying to get people to blindly buy her products just because they are attached to her name.

Well I'm not going to review until I've actually worn the products for 2-3 weeks. My 2nd Life palette (Career) should get here either today (Tuesday) or Wednesday. So when I've had time to use everything (2 life palettes, eyeliner, pot gloss, and lip palette) for enough time to have a very firm and clear idea of how the products work for me, I will tell y'all!

Since I never use any shadow without a primer, that will be the way I test. The only non-em makeup items I will use during the test period will be BB cream and mascara.
yey.gif

I love test-driving new products!

Originally Posted by gayestbaby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For that kind of price the quality should be great without any help from a base
Totally agree with this...I can wear my cheapo Coastal Scents shadows without a base and still get pretty good pigmentation and staying power...and I've gotten most of those for about 1/6 of the price of the em one. I appreciate the effects of a good base or primer, but if I'm going to spend that much money on something, it should be able to stand on its own decently...if I"m just relying on my base or primer to get good results, I might as well stick with the cheap stuff and spend that money on something else!

Whenever I get new shadows, I always swatch them without primers first. Even though I pretty much always wear primer or a base. Just because I like to know how they perform on their own!

I have to say that I am not really a fan of Michelle's. I have heard buzz about her from various people I watch on youtube and then even moreso with the launch of this line. For me, the prices are MUCH too high. If I am spending a lot of money on a palette it is going to come from Urban Decay or high end brands I enjoy like Chanel, Guerlain, Dior, or even the new Marc Jacobs line that I am absolutely loving. I wish her much success but I am not going to register for a site when I can't even just initially be a lurker and check out the products. Also, I think L'oreal should be putting their muscle and cash behind companies that they own and bring some really good products to the table. It has been a long while since I HAD to have something that L'oreal has put out, but that's just me.

The new Marc Jacobs colors are beautiful. I am thinking about buying some this weekend.

I would like to know about the flawless finish powder that's on Michelle's line. If anyone has tried it, please do a review. I don't really trust the reviews that were already made on her site. Thanks!

Raeview on YouTube or theraeviewer.com just Instagrammed a photo of the Day Life Palette. I'm curious to see what she says about it. I trust most of her reviews except for the obviously sponsored ones. She knows Michelle so it might be interesting.

So...I got to thinking about this line and some of the products that the Loreal Home Testing Group girls have been testing over the last year or so.  I wonder if any of us have actually done some testing for EM.  I personally did a BB cream test, I know that others have tested powders, eyliners, lipsticks, lip gloss, and lip balms.  We never know brands or anything just here is a lipstick, wear it for 3 days or whatever and fill out a survey.  We get product for compensation, lately it has been several items from Loreal's brands mainly Lancome.  Maybe we will eventually get EM.   Just me random thinking!

I just got a welcome email from EM... I never signed up. Is it possible that they're auto enrolling ipsy subscribers ?

I checked my daughters emails (two of the three at least) and they didn't get the email.

Latest posts

Back