Eye shadow advice for Olive Skin

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a beginner. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I need help. I've been sticking to warm colors like: Bronze, Gold and brown. I must be doing something wrong because after applying it ALWAYS Iooks like someone's punched me in the eyes.

Perhaps I'm using the wrong colors? Can anyone give me advice on colors and how to apply.

Thanks! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

xxx 

Blend blend blend! Probably not as bad as a black eye lol. I'd check out some tutorials and try to follow them til you feel more comfortable.

Have you tried blotting your brush before you go to your eye area, this will give you more control and a lot less fallout.

My other tip is yellow, a bright one, and just a dab on the center of the lid and keep it strong in the center do not make it even because you are not a flat wall, then blend the edges, your eyes will POP!

I say, when you're starting out a little says a lot. When you feel more comfortable, PLAY!! check out Pinterest (i love pinterest) or magazines and see what people have done and try to re-create their master piece. Practice makes perfect and at first if you don't succeed, try try again. all the best, hope this helps!

Edit: Removed link, added photo

Makeup should be warm in character to complement underlying skin tones. Brown reds such as sienna and ochre can be used for lip colors, bronzers, and eye makeup. Olive green can also be used for eyes. Apricots can be used to brighten cheeks. For under eye circles, try a concealer with a peachy undertone to counteract the darkness. (btw this is straight out of my makeup artistry books! hope it helps!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've got olive skin, and when I first started my makeup voyage about 8 years ago, I had the same problem.

You can be olive, and not be warm toned. That's the first big revelation. I'm olive and neutral.You can be neutral or cool toned with olive skin. I can wear foundations that are only slightly yellow or only slightly pink and have no real problems. You may be in the same boat.

You need to make sure that you're not using a very cool toned foundation with very warm toned eyeshadows, or a very warm toned foundation with very cool toned eyeshadows. The contrast doesn't work well on some people, I've found. Everything needs to be kept balanced on the cool-warm spectrum with olive skin. 

If you're a cool toned olive and you're wearing all very warm eyeshadows, the contrast would be very, very extreme and all concentrated around your eyes, which would make them stand out in an awkward way.

Latest posts

Back