eyebrow pencils

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've been trying to match my hair to my eyebrows and I can't figure out what to do I keep buying and buying and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong I need advice so I can get it right . And correct me if I'm wrong are you sapposed to match your eyebrows and hair ??

Yes. Typically you should use two colours, for example black and brown for darker brows or taupe and beige/brown for lighter brows. Brows, like your hair is not just one solid colour, you need to " break it up" to make it appear natural looking but groomed by mixing two colours with a light hand. A solid colour will make your brows appear too strong or prominent, thus you might have to play up other features to balance everything out.

I personally prefer using tinted wax & a loose medium shimmer eyeshadow I mixed up myself, more or less specifically for my brows. I find pencils to be unnatural looking, as in giving the drawn-on, severe brow look. Powders applied after a tinted brow gel can be more easily softened or fixed as well. My hair is kind of auburn, so I want some natural looking highlights in my brows that look like they're coming from my brow hairs, not my powder eyebrow product. It reflects a slight bit of coppery & red tones on a warmish medium to deep brown base. If I darken my brows too much or make a mistake in shaping them, it's very easy to fix with a lighter beige or cream tone eyeshadow. And the wax mixes with the powder as I'm applying it to keep it in place. I brush the tinted wax (a dark warm brown) through my brows with a spoolie first & then apply the powder product overtop with a stiff angled or straight edge brush that has a smaller sized tip on it. Once I'm done, I set them with a clear brow gel, which gives them even more dimension. I know some people can't stand powders & swear they come off too easily etc. But unless you're rubbing your face, I haven't found that brow wax & powder used together are any worse than pencils. The pencils *are* made out of waxes & pigments, after all. Good luck :)

I use a Smashbox brow trio, two shades and a wax. I agree that pencils make for some severe looking eye brows, which is why I switched. Before the brow kit, I used matte shadows to fill in my brows. I like what satojoko suggested, with the shimmer for dimension. I might just try that!

Yes. Typically you should use two colours, for example black and brown for darker brows or taupe and beige/brown for lighter brows. Brows, like your hair is not just one solid colour, you need to " break it up" to make it appear natural looking but groomed by mixing two colours with a light hand. A solid colour will make your brows appear too strong or prominent, thus you might have to play up other features to balance everything out.
OK so this really helps a lot I will try to do this becouse before I was just using an eyebrow pencil and it made my eyebrows look so dark and fake ..:)

OK so this really helps a lot I will try to do this becouse before I was just using an eyebrow pencil and it made my eyebrows look so dark and fake ..:)
Ah, I see. Brow pencils are meant to fill in gaps that have been over-tweezed. By replicating individual single brow strands and to add shape and definition. Hence the tips are more harder than the softer eyeliner pencils. And are not meant as a colouring pencil. Brow powders are meant to softly darken or in-other-words, to "add fullness", so that the look of the brows will balance with the rest of the make-up. That's why they are meant to work together and not separately.

Latest posts

Back