Eyeliner color: black vs. brown

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only ever use black liner, because flat brown tends to look muddy on me and doesn't make much of a statement. But this is because my hair and lashes are black and it just works better in my case. In my cousin's case, she's dyed her hair a reddish brown, and with her skin tone, brown liner looks exceptional.

I think it depends on your coloring (skin and hair) and what your individual preference is.

I'm Asian and I use both black and brown eyeliners. I agree with the girls, brown tend to look softer and gives a more natural appearance. But I also find black eyeliner enhances my eyes extremely well too, as I use black mascara so the black eyeliner gives off an illusion as I have fuller, longer lashes. But I still prefer black eyeliner and I think it can be suitable for a day look if you only draw a thin line on your upper lid, then lightly apply some more on your lower lash line, right below your pupil. It helps to open up your eyes and look the best along with lining your waterline with white eyeliner. HTH!
smile.gif

I have seem some women who wear brown eyeliner with their brown eyes and it works for them the best advice i can give you is to go out and get a brown liner and try it on and see what you personally think about it. The most important opinion on how it looks is yours.

I'm Asian and I have smaller than usual eyes. I use black eyeliner. I could use brown, or navy or forest green, but black is most obvious. I don't think it clashes with my skin tone or anything cos I'm pretty fair. And to be honest, I LIKE the contrast. hahaha..

I usually wear black liner, but for a more natural look I'll use black on top and a dark brown on the bottom. Black is always more dramatic but you can achieve some good looks with brown as well as long as it's complimented with good use of shadow.

I like to play up my eyes alot so I find when I wear black liner along with everything else on my eyes it becomes 'too much' for during the day. For eveing, black on my top lid only is nice. Another option is black shadow for a softer black look.

I would always go for black, it is more dramatic

I have brown eyes and when i use brown eyeliner it makes my eyes look red and sore as if I 've been crying!

to be honest i think you need both colors in your stash. i use dipdown gel liner by mac for everyday (when i wear liner) and i love black radiance liquid in black or navy for night! looks like patent leather. i never thought about eye color, just the look i was trying to acheive.

Originally Posted by cal4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi! I apologize if this has been asked before, I did a search and I came up empty handed. (I may just be a horrible searcher.)
I'm a make-up novice and I'm getting conflicting advice. I've read and have been told that for brown eyes (like mine, I'm Asian) brown eyeliners work best and that women with my eye color should generally avoid black eyeliners. On the other hand, I've seen many Asian women who use black eyeliners and it looks great. Should avoid this advice?

And I know that it's hard to be general when it comes to make up, but I've just read and heard from so many people that women with brown eyes should use brown eyeliner. Yet, I see so many women who don't.

Thanks for helping this confused novice!
smile.gif

Hey I think brown is best for brown eyes. OR what I like to do, is brown shadow, grey liner,black mascara. Then use peachy blush and lipgloss and it looks great!

Brown for Work

Black for Play!!
rotfl.gif

Don't let eye color or skin color or ethnicity enter in ! Makeup is for creating various looks. Doesn't matter the race!!!
tocktock.gif

I like all colors of eyeliner, but I usually use black on my lower inner rims and then outline along my lower lashline with whatever color I use in my crease, which is always a lighter, shimmery color. You just have to experiment and see what looks good on you.

I was about to mention it but Cocochanel_nyc already said it hehe --there really shouldn't be any makeup rules. IMO though black eyeliner ftw =D I go for the classic winged eyeliner look like Audrey Hepburn.

ola! i have both....Black and brown eyeliner..... if i want a fierce sharp look...i go for black...

if i want subtle....easy going look....i go for brown

Black- Avon

Brown- MAC Crayon eye liner "teddy"

black!! i only use brown when i wanna look semi-natural, which is rare, i like the heavy eye makeup most of the time

It sounds like YOU really are happier with the black eyeliner and should go with it. Sometimes there are no "rules" just people with opinions.

One suggestion might be to keep the black line thin and use brown when you want more of a smudged look.

Back