Eyeshadow Problems!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this goes here, but I'll post it anyway. I have always had a problem with putting my eyeshadow on. I've never worn MAC or any other name brand. Anyway, the eye shadows I use seem really hard to put on. By that I mean I have to put it on over and over and over just to get it to show up. Even if I use a black eyeshadow. I still have to reapply over and over. Anyone have any tips for me??? Thanks!!
icon_razz.gif

It could be that it's just not a well-pigmented shadow. Or it could be your brush isn't very good at holding the pigments.

Those are the first two culprits that come to mind, anyway.

I used to have a lot of problems with that; after I switched to well-pigmented shadows and started using a base, my colors were much more intense. What brands are you using?

Sounds like the shadow not being pigmented enough. I use a primer on my eye and that helps a lot. Or you could go cheper and use a cream shadow or a eye crayon for the base, anything to make it tacky to let the shadow stick.

I agree it's probably to do with the amount of pigment... I used to use Rimmel eyeshadow, and I would apply loads, wet, and still only end up with a murky grey.

I suggest maybe getting a better eyeshadow. If you don't want to spend a lot, maybe try Bourjous or Barry M eyeshadows? It's what I started on. Also, a decent brush. And if you really want to, dampen it slightly, it gives me more vibrant colour.

It's probably the eyeshadow brand you're using.

For an inexpensive brand with good pigmentation, try NYX.
smile.gif

I think its probably because of the eyeshadow pigment. I'm using N.Y.C right now. I'm going to MAC soon and getting new eyeshadow. Yesterday I ordered Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion, so hopefully that will help.

it sounds like you have a sheer e/s and you need a base also...i have had luck using a stick concealer as my base, it makes colors stick better and seem brighter

it is either that it is not well enough pigmented

it could also be that it is not finely milled and there for you cant get much on your brush at all.

Originally Posted by debbiedeb77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif it sounds like you have a sheer e/s and you need a base also...i have had luck using a stick concealer as my base, it makes colors stick better and seem brighter Yeah, even a good creme concealer can work well as a base. That's what I use half the time.

Originally Posted by Stephie Baby /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think its probably because of the eyeshadow pigment. I'm using N.Y.C right now. I'm going to MAC soon and getting new eyeshadow. Yesterday I ordered Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion, so hopefully that will help. I think you're on the right track, let us know how you go when you get the new things.

I agree with the others it could be the eyeshadows your using. Also a eyeshadow primer helps.

Some good drugstore brand eyeshadows are Milani and Nyx.

High end eyeshadows- MAC.

Great eyeshadow base/primer is UDPP. Urban Decay Primer Potion.

Originally Posted by Shelley /img/forum/go_quote.gif I agree with the others it could be the eyeshadows your using. Also a eyeshadow primer helps.
Some good drugstore brand eyeshadows are Milani and Nyx.

High end eyeshadows- MAC.

Great eyeshadow base/primer is UDPP. Urban Decay Primer Potion.

Ditto!Great advice!

Had the same problem with a Mary Kate and Ashley e/s i got as throw in in a swap. But it works with a Mixing Medium ( found the recipe for it on the forum
wink.gif
)

I would suggest MAC or NYX cosmetics. I have had problems like that before I discovered MAC
smile.gif
GL!

Believe it or not, but Wet N' Wild's eyeshadows are also wonderfully pigmented as well! I love my huge eye palettes!

I had the same problem before...I used to spend so much time applying, then reapplying just to get the pigmentation I want. And even after reapplying three or more times on each eye I would end up with most of it gone in only a couple hours!!! That was before I discovered NYX...
smile.gif
It's very affordable, about 3-4 bucks or even cheaper in some places like at the Fragrance Outlet, and it is VERY pigmented. IMHO they are very comparable to the quality of MAC, and even MAC MUAs have complemented me for my e/s when I was wearing all NYX shadows (which always made my day, of course)!!!
smile.gif

Also, I agree with what everyone said about using a good e/s base...that's good that you now own UDPP...I heard rave reviews about it, although I have yet to get me one myself this weekend (YAY!). Also, like Bexy mentioned, you can also use other bases such as a cream base or eye crayons/shadesticks like MAC's. I use NYX jumbo pencil in yogurt as a base, and my shadow stays on all day. Paired up with concealer underneath first before the NYX eye pencil, I even have trouble taking off my makeup at night if I don't use my trusty eye mu remover. Like others have already mentioned, good brushes are also key. I love Sonia Kashuk's brushes from Target. They're only 3.99 and up!!!
smile.gif

Good luck girlie!
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back