Facial Cleanser & moisturiser for combination skin

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm in need of some advice. Lately I've been wanting to look into better skincare products as I don't think my current products are doing much good. Probably more bad then good. I've been reading up on different skin types and realised that I have combination skin - my t-zone is oily and the rest of the skin on my face is dry. (though it's weird, because even on my nose, where all the oil builds up, there are still tiny patches of dry, flaky skin. :S) 

I was hoping if there was anyone with the same problem or any knowledge of it to give me some advice. For both cleanser and moisturiser. Like, what ingredients should I looks out for? What should I avoid, what should I stay the hell away from? Also a moisturiser that doesn't make my face look greasy after I use it; if someone could suggest a moisturiser like that, that would be amazing!

Also exfoliation. I'm a bit confused here. Doesn't facial cleaners act as exfoliation when you use them? Or do I need to use something separate?

I'm sorry, I know that's a lot and I sound a bit demanding but I am useless at all this stuff and wouldn't know where to start.

Thank you for reading.

Combination skin is tricky. Forget about too rich, too creamy textures, both in cleanser and moisturizer. While it might be good for your cheeks, it's too rich for the rest of your face. Look for hydrating moisturizers, especially for summer (the flakes can be a sign of dehydration more than dry skin so don't be fooled by them). Look for water as main or among the first ingredients on the list. If there is butter or wax in the list, be careful. A little is good, but again your combination skin produces enough sebum on the t zone, so it doesn't need the extra "oil".

There are some specific combination skin moisturizers on the market, that help manage the sebum production on the t zone, and the dry cheeks. I've had various experiences with these, but none really satisfying to the point i'd recommend one. You have to try, read reviews and just see for yourself what works best.

What i use nowadays are moisturizers for combination and sensitive skin, the sensitive side being more annoying than my combination skin. I can blot sebum, but handling rosacea is more demanding. I like Weleda, Logona (german organic brands), La Roche Posay as well. If i have to suggest something, it's to look into derm brands, Avene or Vichy also have nice products. Clinique also has some success, i tried their face moisturizer for combination skin from their 3 step program, and unfortunately it didn't work for me.

Honestly, when i was younger my combination skin was closer to oily than normal, especially during summer, so i had to use two different moisturizers in order to manage my excess sebum. It's not an ideal solution, but it's better than nothing. One moisturizer that really managed the excess of sebum was a rice moisturizer from L'Occitane, pricy but very effective. Try using rice powder as a mattifying or setting powder for your makeup, or just alone. It does help.

The face cleansers usually only remove dirt, pollution, and makeup. But nowadays you also find combined products which do both works, cleansing and scrubbing. Your skin doesn't need to be scrubbed everyday, if it is too harsh it might even cause the skin to produce sebum to compensate. Ten days or every week is enough, you can experiment what works best for you. You might also find that if you have particularly dry cheeks you might have to exfoliate more to get rid of the flakes. If you have access to Ahava, try the mud mask and facescrub, both are really good and gentle for the skin. Avene also has a good facescrub, and in the thyme honey line, Korres has a great facescrub.

Thank you so much for being so thorough with all of that! I did research a bit and listed down some products but I missed all the ones you suggested. You're right, I am going to have to test out various products myself until I find the ones that suit me best. 

I've jotted down every thing you've put here and will try to find some good ones when I'm out at the shops tomorrow. 

Quote: (the flakes can be a sign of dehydration more than dry skin so don't be fooled by them)

I've been trying to get better at this 'drinking more water' thing but I guess I'm still not drinking as much as I should. One thing to work on.

Originally Posted by Sulri /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi!

I'm in need of some advice. Lately I've been wanting to look into better skincare products as I don't think my current products are doing much good. Probably more bad then good. I've been reading up on different skin types and realised that I have combination skin - my t-zone is oily and the rest of the skin on my face is dry. (though it's weird, because even on my nose, where all the oil builds up, there are still tiny patches of dry, flaky skin. :S) 

I was hoping if there was anyone with the same problem or any knowledge of it to give me some advice. For both cleanser and moisturiser. Like, what ingredients should I looks out for? What should I avoid, what should I stay the hell away from? Also a moisturiser that doesn't make my face look greasy after I use it; if someone could suggest a moisturiser like that, that would be amazing!

Also exfoliation. I'm a bit confused here. Doesn't facial cleaners act as exfoliation when you use them? Or do I need to use something separate?

I'm sorry, I know that's a lot and I sound a bit demanding but I am useless at all this stuff and wouldn't know where to start.

Thank you for reading.
For combination skin I generally stick to oil-free moisturizers

Latest posts

Back