Fantasia Barrino 'Idol' Champ Can Hardly Read Or Write

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
sq_fantasia_bet2005_getty.jpg

Oh brother! sheesh She writes a book, but cannot write...hmm. I still think Diana Degarmo blew her away

Fantasia Barrino 'Idol' Champ Fantasia Reveals She Can Hardly Read Or Write

Third-season 'American Idol' winner Fantasia Barrino now working with a tutor.

Fantasia's highest hope for the fall has nothing to do with her opening slot on Kanye West's tour or her two nominations at the American Music Awards. She wants to read her 4-year-old daughter a book.

The third-season "American Idol" winner admits that she can hardly read or write.

In the book, which Fantasia dictated to a freelance writer, the singer reveals that her mother is also functionally illiterate and that Fantasia was so ashamed of her own struggle it kept her from ever applying for a job. On "Idol," she learned lyrics by listening to the songs, not reading the sheet music, and since winning, she's signed contracts she couldn't read.

While working with the music directors, "Somebody would say, 'You know, it's pronounced this way,' and I'd be like, 'Oh, I'm sorry, you know, I'm country, you know,' " Fantasia tells "20/20" in an interview airing Friday night.

Fantasia is now working with a tutor and is sharing her story to inspire others who struggle with reading and writing.

In "Life Is Not a Fairy Tale," Fantasia also reveals she was raped as a freshman in high school and blamed herself because of the way she was dressed.

The book also details her poor childhood and how her faith in God was the only thing that kept her hopeful.

"Most people would rather flaunt their new clothes or their new bling-bling," she says in the book. "I always wonder why God is not worthy of praise and acknowledgment? Why are young people ashamed to show their faith? Take it from me — faith is really all you have."

I love Fantasia!!! That's awesome that she's working with a tutor to overcome her "disability".
claps.gif
I've always thought she was really sweet, and even Simon said out of all the Idol winners, she has the best personality.

I think it's great that she is working to overcome her illiteracy. She is a strong woman!! She reminds me very much on my niece who is on a similar path. It is great to see someone so young so strong in her belief and faith. I think it is inspiring to others who struggle. It helps others to see that they can make it too, and that you don't have to necessarily be rich or smart as long as you are persistent great things can happen!!
icon_biggrin.gif

I think it's so sad that someone born and raised here got through our educational system without learning to read and write. It's a testament to our substandard system. At least she's opening up about it. It's nothing to be ashamed of and hopefully others who are illiterate will be motivated to learn to read and write.

Originally Posted by Salope At least she's opening up about it. It's nothing to be ashamed of and hopefully others who are illiterate will be motivated to learn to read and write. That's a really good point Salope. Hopefully it will encourage others to learn now and to know there's nothing to be ashamed of

this is kind off topic. I have a disability where I can talk a lot. the disability is mental retardation. I have overcome this disability to be a nice person to my friends and family. i am a smart girl. its good that she is getting help for her disability. just to mention this sorry.

Originally Posted by jamie18meng

this is kind off topic. I have a disability where I can talk a lot. the disability is mental retardation. I have overcome this disability to be a nice person to my friends and family. i am a smart girl. its good that she is getting help for her disability. just to mention this sorry.

Wow Jamiemeng, you have mental retardation? You type well and express yourself very good! I would have never known this.

I saw something about this the other day. I was shocked would have never known. It is great that she is getting a tutor to help her out. Makes you wonder how kids get left behind in school..

I am still partial to Kelly since she is from my hometown.

K

the disability is not a joke. I have been special education classes since 1990 when I was 3 years old.

Very sad but inspirational at the same time,Hopefully she will be able to help people going thru the same thing!Its nice to hear stuff like this that isnt based on gossip.
claps.gif

Jamie - congrats to you for dealing with and getting over your disability.
claps.gif

Fantasia has the heart of lion by all accounts - to bare her soul and, I am sure with tutoring, she will be fine.

Yes folks - that's called "social promotion" where children are just automatically moved from grade to a grade and no one takes the time to check if they have really learned anything. Can u believe that parents actually get angry if their child is not moved up in grade even if they fail? I guess I am one of the lucky ones who had to learn and so happy that I did.

Back