Favorite Facial Cleanser??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I had really bad acne was I was younger. I have tried so many products.. from drugstore to obagi.. nothing really showed a big difference. One day I was at the flea market getting produce (the best prices you will find for produce FYI!!) and I saw a stand selling raw natural shea butter and african black soap. The sales person sold me on the african black soap and told me its amazing for you face and helps with acne and oiliness... YES he was right! Its the only cleanser I've used for about a year now. I bought a pound for around 5 bucks! 

I use Cetaphil facial soap bar. Doesn't over dry my face, doesn't break me out, leaves my face clean & fresh. Really it doesn't do anything special & its very basic but that's why I love it. I don't use it to remove my makeup, only to clean my face.

My favorite cleanser is actually from lush its the aqua marina. It never drys out my skin after I am done using it, and it is very good for sensitive skin types. 

I like to use

"Comforting Cleansing Milk Dry Skin 27.30" 
icon_wink.gif

I used to use LUSH Ultrabland but I never liked the smell or the texture (too thick). Now I make my own with castor oil, safflower oil and beeswax. It cleans really really well but spreads a lot better than Ultrabland and doesn't leave a greasy feeling behind. Rather, my skin feels really soft, clean and, most importantly, moisturized. It's not stripping at all and the ingredients are very skin friendly (castor oil is a great humectant and safflower oil has loads of vitamin E which is great for sensitive and damaged skin, plus it has anti-aging benefits). It's also mostly natural, the only exception being the small amount of petroleum jelly in it to protect the skin from the environment (and it's non-comedogenic :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />).

I'm looking forward to receiving a shipment of raw materials so I can make more. I'll package it in 4oz jars. I'd love to be able to show people products that don't treat skin as paint that needs to be stripped and don't require you to run and put on moisturizer the second you use them.

I have oily and acne prone skin.  For years I thought I had to use washes specifically for acne prone skin but here's the thing the act of washing strips your skin of natural oils and then on top of it you're using a cleanser for acne which has either benzol peroxide or salicylic acid both of which is drying to your skin. And then add if your using toners and spot treatment.  Well even if you have oily skin, you still need moisture your skin and just moisturizer later may not be enough. Your over-drying your skin and therefore, causing your skin to be even more oily and to break out even more.  I found when I kept it simple, my skin improved. It's softer and virtually acne free, except a pimple or two during my period.  I now use Purpose Gentle cleanser for sensitive skin and the original Oil of Olay beauty fluid (at night) and the Oil Complete with SPF and for sensitive skin (for day) and that's it.  I feel the products designed for sensitive skin are gentle and don't clog pores and  is really what women with acne need to prevent major breakouts.  And of course, making sure you are drinking water daily also helps keep your skin nice.  And seriously, after struggling and stressing over my skin for years, it's better than ever and you wouldn't know I ever dealt with acne!!

Why should you avoid Proactive?? Because it's expensive?  It doesn't work?  Just curious!

Originally Posted by amythompson172 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hello there, I was just wondering what everyones using and what products they like for Face wash..

I enjoy the Clean and Clear Foaming Facial Cleanser. I use it daily without any problems. I have had fantastic results using the Clean and Clear sensitive formula. It does not dry out my face.

Just a side note: I would avoid Proactive unless you absolutely need to use it. If you have trouble with acne, try washing your face twice a day.

I also use Face Masque Bar's Moroccan red clay masque.

My favorite is Aveeno Positively Radiant face scrub. I also like St. Ives facial cleansers. Aveda is a good one too. Those work best for me but Biore foaming face is becoming a favorite but I always have to moisturize after no matter what cleanser I use.

I've been through a ton of cleansers the past couple of years - Philosophy, Clean & Clear (2 kinds), Mary Kay, and Cetaphil. The Cetaphil has by far been my favorite. It's not very good at removing makeup, so I always do that before I use it. But out of all the cleansers I've used, it's the only one that hasn't left my skin feeling taught/dry afterward.

Quote: Originally Posted by Evster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Why should you avoid Proactive?? Because it's expensive?  It doesn't work?  Just curious!
I've heard it doesn't work very well and for a lot of people irritates their skin because it's way too much medication. I had thought about paying a lot for Proactiv, but then I started using the regimen on acne.org (wash face 2x a day, apply 2.5% benzoyl peroxide 2x a day, apply moisturizer 2x a day) & it cleared my skin up without irritation.

I have dry skin so it's hard to find cleansers that don't make it worse. For low-end I use Cetaphil, but on the high-end side I really love Boscia's Soothing Cleansing Cream. It takes off all makeup, is natural and free of sulphates and leaves my skin feeling soft and moisturized. 

Originally Posted by SarahJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have dry skin so it's hard to find cleansers that don't make it worse. For low-end I use Cetaphil, but on the high-end side I really love Boscia's Soothing Cleansing Cream. It takes off all makeup, is natural and free of sulphates and leaves my skin feeling soft and moisturized. 

Yes, that boscia is amazing, I use that, their toner, and their moisturizer.

Thanks about the info for Proactive.  I have contemplated using it but I've heard too many mixed message about them.  Some really love them and others who don't or that it works for awhile but then it doesn't after all.  I think I'll stick to my gentle cleansers and Olay moisturizers.  They keep my skin virtually acne free, softer skin and less oily!

Originally Posted by StakeEdward /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've been through a ton of cleansers the past couple of years - Philosophy, Clean & Clear (2 kinds), Mary Kay, and Cetaphil. The Cetaphil has by far been my favorite. It's not very good at removing makeup, so I always do that before I use it. But out of all the cleansers I've used, it's the only one that hasn't left my skin feeling taught/dry afterward.

Quote: Originally Posted by Evster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've heard it doesn't work very well and for a lot of people irritates their skin because it's way too much medication. I had thought about paying a lot for Proactiv, but then I started using the regimen on acne.org (wash face 2x a day, apply 2.5% benzoyl peroxide 2x a day, apply moisturizer 2x a day) & it cleared my skin up without irritation.

I use two cleansers, currently.  I mainly use the Philosophy Pure face wash, but use the Murad acne cleanser about every 3 days.  My skin is combination, but I got the Murad as a free gift, so I use it every once in awhile.  The Murad is tingly, and burns if it gets too close to the eyes, so you have to be extra careful.  Other than that, it does not dry my skin. 

I also do a mask or brazilian peel once per week or every 10 days.  I use the Boscia black mask or the original brazilian peel.

Back