Favorite Matte Eyeshadows & Palettes?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another vote for Stila's In the Know palette. Versatile and universally flattering. I'm using it more and more as I spiral into my sultry-smokey fall look craziness.

I love to faced palettes and my most recent purchase was bobbi brown violet palette! As I am getting older , matte palettes!

I mentioned last week that I had picked up the Sonia Kashuk neutral matte palette. So far I'm absolutely loving it! I knew I had been craving mattes, but I hadn't realized how much I wanted them. I've reached for that palette every day so far this week. I love using a subtle neutral look for every day and this fits the bill perfectly. Here are my (badly done) swatches. The top is on bare skin and the bottom on Nyx primer. A few swipes were needed for some, because mattes.
The lighter shades don't show up well on my skin, but I've found them handy for highlighting and blending. I screwed up the second swatch in the lower picture - it shouldn't have shown up at all as its a match for my skin tone - so just excuse the dirty brush that got a thorough recleaning immediately after.

Quote: Originally Posted by ZeeOmega /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I mentioned last week that I had picked up the Sonia Kashuk neutral matte palette. So far I'm absolutely loving it! I knew I had been craving mattes, but I hadn't realized how much I wanted them. I've reached for that palette every day so far this week. I love using a subtle neutral look for every day and this fits the bill perfectly.

Here are my (badly done) swatches. The top is on bare skin and the bottom on Nyx primer. A few swipes were needed for some, because mattes.

The lighter shades don't show up well on my skin, but I've found them handy for highlighting and blending. I screwed up the second swatch in the lower picture - it shouldn't have shown up at all as its a match for my skin tone - so just excuse the dirty brush that got a thorough recleaning immediately after.
Thanks for the swatches.. so you got the neutral matte palette. I know Sonia Kashuk has a Fall jewel toned palette, but I don't think it's matte shadows. When I saw your swatches I just realized how important it is to put a primer on under shadows. I only put an eye primer on about 50% of the time. I don't know why.. perhaps because I just have little samples  of primer? hmm not sure. Anyway, how are the quality of SK shadows and about how expensive are they?

Thanks for the swatches.. so you got the neutral matte palette. I know Sonia Kashuk has a Fall jewel toned palette, but I don't think it's matte shadows. When I saw your swatches I just realized how important it is to put a primer on under shadows. I only put an eye primer on about 50% of the time. I don't know why.. perhaps because I just have little samples  of primer? hmm not sure. Anyway, how are the quality of SK shadows and about how expensive are they?
I actually only started to look at SK when you were talking about the jewel tone one in another thread! =D I posted swatches with and without primer since I saw someone in the em thread mentioned how that was important to them. I always wear primer as everything creases on me without it. While doing the swatches I realized that the primer was also helping prevent staining as I had to work a bit more to remove the darkest shades done on bare skin. The quality is nice. A few are a bit chalky, but are still workable since eyelids have relatively small surface area. Overall I find them to feel velvety. They are easy to work with and blend well. They also last me the whole day. The palette was $20 and, for me, totally with it.

I mentioned last week that I had picked up the Sonia Kashuk neutral matte palette. So far I'm absolutely loving it! I knew I had been craving mattes, but I hadn't realized how much I wanted them. I've reached for that palette every day so far this week. I love using a subtle neutral look for every day and this fits the bill perfectly. Here are my (badly done) swatches. The top is on bare skin and the bottom on Nyx primer. A few swipes were needed for some, because mattes.
How are they in pigmentation and texture? I was actually holding it in target today, but then decided that I don't need it... but if it's really good, I may have to go back and get it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

How are they in pigmentation and texture? I was actually holding it in target today, but then decided that I don't need it... but if it's really good, I may have to go back and get it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Like I told Amanda, some are on the chalky side, but overall they feel velvety when I wear them. The shadows can be a bit soft, so I already notice usage in the pans and you'll need to watch excess in the palette. I haven't had any fallout issues when applied, though. I don't really own any other mattes to really compare them to. I have to two that are in the UD Naked 1 and some in a coastal scents. The SK are better pigmented than CS and easier to work with. I actually can't really tell a difference between the pigmentation of the two UD (naked and buck) and the SK. For me, this was a good investment as I had nothing else like it and fit my current budget.

Your welcome!!! I always use either a primer or base with this eyeshadow for longevity.

That looks like a nice palette! I may need to Google this and check it out. Thanks for including the pic too!

I bought Stila's In the Know yesterday after readying about it on this thread. I never bought the Naked matte because it just looked very plain and had very light shades, but Stila's has such variety. I really like the look I'm wearing today from it.

Quote: Originally Posted by MzBrownbeauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I love this Kat Von D "Ladybird True Romance" palette. The colors are so pigmented. I reach for this palette at least 90% of the time.

I just saw a review of this on Musings of a Muse. I it is currently in my sephora cart. I love the colors.

Quote: Originally Posted by AmandaWarwick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is Stila's - in the know palette completely matte?

I always toss and turn on whether or not I should get UD's naked basics. I feel like since I have UD's naked 1 and 2 I don't need basics. Thoughts?

I was kind of in the same boat. I kept going back and fourth on if I really needed it for not for the longest time but now that I have it I love it and don't regret the purchase at all :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I am also a huge fan of UD Buck.  It is perfect for me as both a brow filler and the color I use on my lids every day (over UD primer potion).

This thread makes me want to purchase one of the Stila palettes! I've been oogling over them on the Ulta website for weeks.

Back