First Impressions & Makeup: What's your Take?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh see now this is amusing. I am puerto rican..... I like to play with my makeup >.< I haven't spent alot of time analyzing the latin world and their makeup styles.... But eastern europe I can tell. Big differences between Russians/ Polacks/ Bosnians.

Oh, yeah my other have is polish :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by angels41105 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh see now this is amusing. I am puerto rican..... I like to play with my makeup >.< I haven't spent alot of time analyzing the latin world and their makeup styles.... But eastern europe I can tell. Big differences between Russians/ Polacks/ Bosnians.

Oh, yeah my other have is polish :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
what are the differences with eastern europeans? i find all this very interesting :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have to agree with Angel on that. There is a physical difference between the Eastern European nationalities she mentioned. Another group whose make up makes them stand out... Travelers (best known as Gypsies). I'm absolutely shocked by their makeup - especially on young teens - but by the time these girls are 18 they're typically married. I'm also shocked by their clothes as well. They wear such revealing clothes at weddings, birthday parties, communions, etc while the girl in question (bride, birthday girl, communion) wear these huge dresses (which remind me of the pageant dresses in Toddlers and Tiaras).

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyNxDx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a "gypsy" in real life.. is that sad?!
It is in a way since the ones on My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding (based on a UK program) stated that their way is basically coming to an end. I love some of their old fashion ideas like the man should provide for the family but others like the women can't work, men don't clean/help with the kids and that they marry off their daughters at a young age I find to be wrong. Oh and the biggest one I have a problem with is that the woman defers to the man. I HATE that one in ANY culture since a marriage is 50-50 not what he says or what she says.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

True not all Mexicans girls do but that's how the Mexican girls, from Mexico or whose parents are from Mexico, look in my area. They dress like cholas, do their makeup like cholas and try to act all tough like they're in gangs whether or not they are. This thread is about first impressions and that's unfortunately how the girls around here look and dress which has influenced and formed my opinions.

Hmm..

Maybe its just has more to do w/the style of the area you live in, rather than where the people are from or their race.  I say this because I work in a poultry plant.. and we mostly employ immigrants.  Not a lot of Americans apparently like to get real dirty nasty jobs like this.  Anyways, 80% of the females in my age bracket.. actually, I take that back.  80% of the females that work on my shift period, are Hispanic and speak no English.  Most of them came straight from either Mexico or El Salvador.  Those seem to be the biggest countries represented.  I can tell you that.. at work.. and we definitely do not have any kind of makeup dress code at work.. Or I would have crossed it by now ha ha ha.. none of them come w/ "Chola" makeup.  A lot of them don't wear makeup and are very very naturally beautiful.. makes me sooooooooooo jealous.. and when they do wear makeup..

They usually look like Sammibz FOTD yesterday.  Exept for the one girl.. I forget her name.. Maria maybe.. She wears bright pink like I do and matches it w/her cute clothes.. So adorable.  I keep having to get onto her about her fake lashes though.

Originally Posted by janetgriselle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Bonnie that's terrible! I guess I wouldn't put it past Abercrombie to do something that discriminatory, but still.
Yeah it really lowered my self esteem and stuff.   One good thing that came out of it was when there was that mass lawsuit against them I joined in and got over 5,000 dollars

Originally Posted by Bonnie Krupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah it really lowered my self esteem and stuff.   One good thing that came out of it was when there was that mass lawsuit against them I joined in and got over 5,000 dollars
Oh good job!! Damn!!

I hate how immediately one is judged based on makeup.  I feel that if the makeup is well applied most looks can be pulled off.  I LOVE red lipstick and wear it almost everyday, but I know that my particular face can make that work on a daily basis.  It is all about knowing what does and does not work for the individual.

My whole life I wanted to be a lawyer, but after college I realized I would never be able to look the way I want to in that career.  So I chose the freedom of retail cosmetics.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I am a happy person because of it!

Off topic but since this whole "Chola" Talk Most of you here Are Newer to the Forums But We once had a Dare to be Chola lol HERE

btw iTS nICOLE  gOOD Points :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by MakeupByMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Off topic but since this whole "Chola" Talk Most of you here Are Newer to the Forums But We once had a Dare to be Chola lol HERE

btw iTS nICOLE  gOOD Points :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I read that somewhere... but couldn't find the link!!! If I ever won I was going to pick Chola... but saw it was already done lol

Originally Posted by Its Only Nicole /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I knew I always hated A&F for a good reason..
Isn't the crappy clothing and knock you down levels of cheap perfume in the air enough?  The discrimination only adds to a gasoline fire for me.

Originally Posted by AliciaMLay /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I hate how immediately one is judged based on makeup.  I feel that if the makeup is well applied most looks can be pulled off.  I LOVE red lipstick and wear it almost everyday, but I know that my particular face can make that work on a daily basis.  It is all about knowing what does and does not work for the individual.

My whole life I wanted to be a lawyer, but after college I realized I would never be able to look the way I want to in that career.  So I chose the freedom of retail cosmetics.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I am a happy person because of it!
Law is my dream career as well. I know how do look professional and still glam. Every time i interview with a firm though my mom has to remind me not to wear my usual eyeshadow
icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by Bonnie Krupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't forget the deafeningly loud music...unless they changed that I have no clue
I never went to one, I judged based on the walking by on the way to a better store.  I think I heard loud music last time I went by too.

Originally Posted by Its Only Nicole /img/forum/go_quote.gifHmm..

Maybe its just has more to do w/the style of the area you live in, rather than where the people are from or their race.  I say this because I work in a poultry plant.. and we mostly employ immigrants.  Not a lot of Americans apparently like to get real dirty nasty jobs like this.  Anyways, 80% of the females in my age bracket.. actually, I take that back.  80% of the females that work on my shift period, are Hispanic and speak no English.  Most of them came straight from either Mexico or El Salvador.  Those seem to be the biggest countries represented.  I can tell you that.. at work.. and we definitely do not have any kind of makeup dress code at work.. Or I would have crossed it by now ha ha ha.. none of them come w/ "Chola" makeup.  A lot of them don't wear makeup and are very very naturally beautiful.. makes me sooooooooooo jealous.. and when they do wear makeup..
Like I mentioned before it is how the girls in my area dress. These girls want to portray themselves as something negative because it's associated with the gangias and whether or not they are in gangs that's how they want to look.

Okay, went to look at the Chola thread and the look done by sooperficial with the white liner is what the girls in my area do. Sorry but I really hate the white liner! She absolutely nailed how the girls in my area do their makeup.

28894-sooperficialcholad2b.jpg

In regards to the OP... I had a somewhat similar experience when I went for my very first job interview ever at Afterthoughts. I remember wearing a cute skirt suit and makeup was on the neutral side, not heavy at all. Days after the interview I received a call letting me know I didn't get the job. I asked if why and she said "you were too dressed up for the role." I was gobsmacked.

In regards to the cholas, I think this type of group predominates in California. In Texas they are not seen as much as they are in L.A. some of those girls can be SCARY! Guys too.

Since moving to Europe I had to tone down the makeup and wearing high heels. Being Mexican American, I like to always be presentable. I used to do my make-up on a daily basis (colorful eyes not just neutral). Little by little I have toned it down cuz I feel weird. I have people staring in the metro. But I can't help it, it is in my genes. My grandmother is 95 and she does not leave the house without a bit of powder, blush and lipstick.

Back