Foundation for over 40

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Could really use some help, I am over 40 with dry skin and slight rosacea. I need a med to full coverage would welcome anyone"s suggestions.

Thanks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Dani1248 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi All,

Could really use some help, I am over 40 with dry skin and slight rosacea. I need a med to full coverage would welcome anyone"s suggestions.

Try Missha Cho Bo Yang BB cream. It's amazing. It gives med to full coverage and can also be worn under foundation if you wanted even more coverage.

(it will cover your redness and even out skin tone)

All of the Missha BB creams are great, M Signature and Perfect cover too.

But both Cho Bo Yang and M Signature have anti-aging benefits.

I was a loyal MUFE HD foundation user (still love it) but I have recently switched to Missha.

There is a HUGE sale on their website right now (I believe until the 14th), so the timing is perfect.

www.misshaus.com

Hi, I'm 45 and I had been having a hard time too with foundations as my skin is getting dry as well. I found that "Covergirl & Olay Tone Rehab 2-in-1 foundation base" is exactly what I was looking for. I really can't use any primers since they either cause my makeup to flake or to just be "too much" on me.  Most stuff just settled into those fine lines and made skin look yucky.The foundation applies smoothly, I use a stipple brush in a gentle swirling motion to apply mine. Once it's on my skin it feels like my skin is moist and dewey and this feeling lasts most of the day for me. If I feel I need a little more coverage I use a loose powder in translucent with a big fluffy puff to gently give me a little more coverage.I just get a little powder and press it gently in the areas I feel need it. It really gives a nice finish to my makeup. It's relatively cheap compared to many other foundations so it was a starting point for me. I used to use Estee Lauder foundation but it felt like a mask on my face and I could never get a correct shade since the girls at the counters would swear that it looked great on me...ugghh. Hope you find what your looking for.

Thank you for the help, it is sad that when you go to the make up counter (which have many times) and the sales people can't match the  color correctly.

That's because most don't understand undertones very well. Most people fall in one of three categories though only two are recognized in the industry:

• Yellow undertones
  • Red undertones
  • Blue undertones - which is not recognized but I know a few women who are so fair that any foundation that's red or yellow based looks wrong on them.

I wish foundations were labeled like hair color so rather than warm, cool or neutral it's either yellow or red that's listed because that's more accurate. Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics is among the few companies that I know that doesn't label their foundations as warm, cool or neutral but rather simply as Yellow or Red. I'm Y1 and Y2 using OCC foundations. In MUFE Mat Velvet+ I'm No. 35 Vanilla - for medium skin with yellow/ beige undertones (though it's still a little dark but when mixed with Y1 from OCC it's perfect for me). At Sephora the girls at the Miracle Mile store and at my local Sephora matched me to MUFE HD Invisible Cover Foundation155 Medium Beige - for medium skin with dark beige undertones which is WAY too dark and too orange for me.

Part of the problem with getting your makeup matched in a store is that the light inside is different than outside PLUS foundations tend to oxide over the day. The BEST thing you can do is to get a sample of the foundation you want to try WHEN POSSIBLE. If you buy drugstore then stay with a store that has a good return policy on cosmetics and keep the receipt so if it doesn't work you can return it.

Thanks for all the feedback, I also find many of the foundations suggested are often to light of coverage even though most are listed as med-to full coverage. 

Originally Posted by Dani1248 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi All,

My bf's mom has rosacea, is over 40 and swears by bareMinerals foundation, I use it too sometimes and love it. But for her, this is the only foundation that covers her rosacea. You can also find it with spf and kill two birds with one stone. Sephora has a try kit that gets you a few different bareMinerals products for like $20 :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I dont have rosacea but same age grp and i swear by mufe. I used bare minerals for almost 5 yrs but soon discovered mufe duo mat powder and hd foundation which you would probably prefer simce it is in liquid form. great coverage without having to pile on the makeup and it looks natural. Best to go in store and ask for consulation. They will let you take samples home so you could test under natural lighting.

I'm in my 40's and have searched high and low for a foundation that works for my combo skin. I have patchy dryness on the cheeks, dry under eye area, and oily t-zone. The best I've found so far is CoverGirl Advanced Radiance. I'd say it's medium coverage  but you can build to full. http://www.covergirl.com/advancedradianceagedefyingliquidmakeup

I mix two shades to get the perfect match. I use the foundation instead of concealer too because it does not settle into lines. It's really great for the price! If you by it at Rite Aid or Walgreens you can return it after you try it f you don't like it.

I also like Nars Sheer Glow, but sometimes it's too dry for me so I mix in the CoverGirl foundation and it makes it a perfect finish for me.

I'd personally go for Monave's Moisture Mousse foundation. It's a creamy, concentrated formula that's got great coverage without getting caked up. It's also got no toxic ingredients in it. They also make great mineral foundation formulas that give very good coverage but still look natural. They're also very affordable. The woman who owns the company is also concerned with providing great customer service. For over 40s with oily skin, Monave also has a Liquid Matte foundation which is also in a creamy formula but has more of a matte finish. Both formulas are great.

I am 42, have redness in my cheeks, a few small spider veins and normal to dry skin. I have found the best foundation for me is Loreal True Match Magic Smooth Souffle. It is silky soft, covers beautifully and gives my skin a dewy, airbrushed finish. I have also used the liquid formula and like it just as well. I have tried many foundations, including high end products. I always end up back to this one! Make sure you use the true match color cards to find the right color. I was using a way too light one for a long time. I finally used their system and found I should be wearing about two shades darker! It looked a bit dark and orange in the bottle and when I first started blending, but once I blended it all in, it was a complete match to my skin tone with no visible foundation lines. I have used both fingers and brushes for application. If you use a brush with this product, use less to begin with! A little goes a long way and it is easy to get too much product onto your brush! Also, a note on mineral foundations, if you are older and have dry skin, avoid them, they settle into fine lines and can cause dry skin flakes to appear. I also found them itchy and irritating to my skin. Hope this helps!

I am 45 and I have tried Mac, Urban Decay, Smashbox, and drugstore brands. Luckily, I have taken care of my face since I was 18 so my skin is pretty healthy. I do have freckles, though. Anyway, I have recently tried Sally's Femme Couture-Get Flawless 8-in-1 foundation. I really like the coverage and it gives me a dewy complexion. Hope this helps.

I have been to makeup counters to have color matched and very rarely have I gotten the correct tone for my skin.

This is definitely something that is an issue for women from ages 30-40 and up! I think, however, that for women of any age and with any skin color or skin type, Bare Minerals is the best foundation. One reason I like the Bare Minerals foundation I use is because it comes with SPF 15, so it's great to wear when I'm outdoors. Also, it's made with no oils or fragrances. I have very sensitive skin and it took me a long time to find a type of foundation that didn't cause me to break out. Once I found Bare Minerals, though, I loved it. My dermatologist actually recommended it to me and since I started using it a few years ago, my skin has even become more clear. The products that make up the foundation are healthy and beneficial enough to help conditions like sensitive skin (which is my biggest problem with my skin), dry or oily skin, acne or breakouts, and even rosacea, which is what you said was your main skin issue. Even if you don't find that Bare Minerals improves your skin condition, it certainly should not aggravate it.

I personally have the Bare Minerals foundation primer, foundation, finishing powder, and blush. The products are obviously more expensive than what you might find in the grocery store, but they last a very long time so it's worth the investment. And another great thing about Bare Minerals is the number of colors it comes in. I'm extremely fair skinned, so I usually go with one of the three lightest colors. The makeup is so lightweight that you can wear a shade a little darker than your natural skin tone without looking like you have a bad tan on your face and no tan on your neck. But my point is, you will easily be able to find a shade that matches your skin tone with this brand!

I am 39 and use Revlon Photoready without a problem. I have a ton of different foundations... liquid, cream, powder, mineral, cream to powder and I always come back to my liquid.

Bare Minerals irritates my skin, even the new formula that is supposed to be for sensitive skin. Plus most mineral makeup settles into pores and lines making them really stick out even with primer.

Originally Posted by Glamdup /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is definitely something that is an issue for women from ages 30-40 and up! I think, however, that for women of any age and with any skin color or skin type, Bare Minerals is the best foundation. One reason I like the Bare Minerals foundation I use is because it comes with SPF 15, so it's great to wear when I'm outdoors. Also, it's made with no oils or fragrances. I have very sensitive skin and it took me a long time to find a type of foundation that didn't cause me to break out. Once I found Bare Minerals, though, I loved it. My dermatologist actually recommended it to me and since I started using it a few years ago, my skin has even become more clear. The products that make up the foundation are healthy and beneficial enough to help conditions like sensitive skin (which is my biggest problem with my skin), dry or oily skin, acne or breakouts, and even rosacea, which is what you said was your main skin issue. Even if you don't find that Bare Minerals improves your skin condition, it certainly should not aggravate it.

I personally have the Bare Minerals foundation primer, foundation, finishing powder, and blush. The products are obviously more expensive than what you might find in the grocery store, but they last a very long time so it's worth the investment. And another great thing about Bare Minerals is the number of colors it comes in. I'm extremely fair skinned, so I usually go with one of the three lightest colors. The makeup is so lightweight that you can wear a shade a little darker than your natural skin tone without looking like you have a bad tan on your face and no tan on your neck. But my point is, you will easily be able to find a shade that matches your skin tone with this brand!
Not for everyone. Many women are actually allergic to Bare Minerals foundation because of the Bismuth Oxychloride.

I'm almost 50 and my skin is super dry...flaky dry.  I find that most any makeup  is ok for me as long as I use my alpha hydroxy face cream twice daily and a really heavy moisturiser...one that's on the thick side.  Then I use Giggles & Grins for babies on the really dry spots. I use the moisturiser first then giggles & grins then a bb cream, a tinted moisturizer, green concealer for the red patches and then foundation.  I use a cream or liquid blush too.  It took me a while to get a good combo that doesn't make my skin look flaky.  I think the super thick moisturiser is the key though.   It's a lot, but seriously, my skin is so dry I can't just put on makeup alone or I just look so flaky, it's gross.

I use a wet sponge beauty blender thing to put on the foundation using tapping motions so I don't disturb the flakies.

The mineral makeup doesn't work for my skin.  It just dries me out worse and shows up every single flake on my face.  I just lightly tap a brush with loose power over my make up to set it.

That's what's works for me and my severely dry skin.

Edited to add I don't have any problems with blemishes but I never did.  I've always had clear skin but the last few years it became horribly dry.

Silk creme foundation - Laura mercier

silk satin finish, hydrating and full coverage. Worth every penny!

Originally Posted by imelysa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Silk creme foundation - Laura mercier

silk satin finish, hydrating and full coverage. Worth every penny!
I'd second Laura Mercier's silk creme foundation...

I have rosacea and I'm telling you I've searched up and down ... high or low and the best is the silk creme foundation. I don't even need to use concealer. I just put it on my Tarte's airbrush foundation brush and put it on. See if you can get a sample from sephora. 

One other thing... I can't use mineral makeup because it just doesn't cover the redness well enough in fact it sinks into my pores and just looks bad. I wish I could use mineral makeup but I just need extra coverage. The silk creme foundation really has a beautiful finish as well. I've been complimented by my makeup artist on it. :)

Latest posts

Back