Foundation match - neck vs. face

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As an Australian we are exposed to way too much sun - this means, my face and neck are two vastly different colours! For example, my chin and head casts a shadow over my neck, so my face cops all the sun damage. Any one have any advice on foundation - if I match my face, the colour clearly shows on my neck; but if I match my neck, my face looks pasty - advice?

Why don't you find a good natural color that works well with your face and blend it down to your neck.

U can use 2 foundations with 2 shades a light one and a slightly darker one and blend them together for a warmer color and use on both ur face and neck.

u can also try mineral makeup!

Originally Posted by chocobon /img/forum/go_quote.gif U can use 2 foundations with 2 shades a light one and a slightly darker one and blend them together for a warmer color and use on both ur face and neck.u can also try mineral makeup!

Second this.

Originally Posted by chocobon /img/forum/go_quote.gif U can use 2 foundations with 2 shades a light one and a slightly darker one and blend them together for a warmer color and use on both ur face and neck.u can also try mineral makeup!

ditto !!

both ideas are excellent.

What if I would rather make it match my neck, since it's troublesome to have to wash your neck every night, so wouldn't it be better to match your neck and if you need coloring, won't the blush/bronzer/highlighter take care of that?

I have the same problem, but reversed! I don't really know how this happened, but my neck is darker than my face. My face doesn't really seem to tan, it just freckles, so I guess that's why.

I find that when it matches my neck, people can tell I'm wearing foundation that is too dark for me, almost like I tried to self tan my face, and it just doesn't look right. So most of the time, I just match my face and wear some bronzer.

I would never do this. We are not chemists and it crazy for somone to have to use more than one foundation at a time. In photographic makeup artistry we match the face to the neck and not the other way around. The same could apply to daily wear makeup. Match your face to your neck,I know it will make you feel as though you look pasty,but adding a nice bronzer(liquid bronzer is my fave) can give you a great helathy look from season to season. If after you have matched your face to your neck you should look like a bland, blank piece of paper,monotone from chest to forehead. If you do you have nailed the color. Now bring out the beauty with your latest rock star makeup techniques.
Hope this helps!

Richard

I would say match you neck or blend when you get to that area. I'm slightly darker in the face than on my neck (not too big of a difference luckily) but there's a reason you always test you foundation on your jawline (#1 rule) It provides the bases of around what your skintone actually is, therefore what your foundation should look like. I think it's not right to say that you should only have to use one foundation to get a perfect match. That's ridiculous!!!! Most ppl change skintone 3 or 4 times a year!!! For example, take a look at women of color (mainly black women) I have friends who have significantly different shades (up to 3 or 4) on their face alone!! You can't cover that up with just one foundation. I give to a african-american woman who can strategically place their foundation correctly because on their skintones, it takes skills to apply without it looking ashey or orange and to choose the correct colors and where to place them on the face.

I would use a sunless tanner on your neck so that it's closer to your face color.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by mXm /img/forum/go_quote.gif I would never do this. We are not chemists and it crazy for somone to have to use more than one foundation at a time. In photographic makeup artistry we match the face to the neck and not the other way around. The same could apply to daily wear makeup. Match your face to your neck,I know it will make you feel as though you look pasty,but adding a nice bronzer(liquid bronzer is my fave) can give you a great helathy look from season to season. If after you have matched your face to your neck you should look like a bland, blank piece of paper,monotone from chest to forehead. If you do you have nailed the color. Now bring out the beauty with your latest rock star makeup techniques.
Hope this helps!

Richard

But that are for photos... You have to realize that when you're walking around in real life, and you're wearing foundation that isn't your color, it WILL show. Unless you have some godly foundation that covers all area of your face wihtout it being chalky and thick.

I would just match your skin and add highlighter and bronzer where needed.

That's what I do. My neck is darker than my face so I just use bronzer or a slightly darker powder over top of my foundation that matches my face.

I also recommend mineral makeup

I'm kind of intersted by everyones responses. My younger sister has rosacia that is fairly bad and everytime she gets foundation matched, they match it to her jawline where she is quite red so it always comes out looking bad on the rest of her face, it's way too pink! I've told her that she should ask them to match it to her neck since she refuses to try mineral make up.

Back