Foundation oxidizing

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a bit of a problem with EDM's foundation turning darker on me throughout the day. The problem was more-so with the intensive formula, but I primarily use the original glo. Anyway, what helped for me was to buff a layer of serecite based finishing powder on before my foundation. Now, the color stays true all day (and the serecite helps to conceal my pores, as an added bonus).

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Labrat81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yes I actually do....but not for myself, but for the company I work for. I usually make traditional liquid foundations. Most of them are silicone based....meaning that the outer phase of the emulsion where the pigments are disperesed is silicone, and the inner phase (the one that's dispersed in the outer phase) is water.
So when I make a pigment grind I use a peice of equipment called a colloid mill (that's probably older then I am). It's a machine with a rotar and stader that grinds the pigment grind....and breaks up and agglomerates of pigments. When I mix the pigments with the silicones in a big beaker before I run the grind through the mill....it always looks really yellow. The yellow iron oxide is the easiest to disperse and wet out with the silicones (and oils). The red and black are much harder to disperse....so as it mills the grind become more red and more dirty. Hence why mineral foundations that contain yellow iron oxide that isn't wet out by a wetting agent....will intensify towards the yellow side when it comes in contact with the oils on your skin....

I have made my own mineral makeup before just for fun. Wanna know how?

In a blender. Yup, just a little Osterizer with a mason jar and a blade. All I used was some iron oxides, zinc oxide, micronized titanium dioxide and pigmentary titanium dioxide and mica....it probably had an SPF of at least 20-25 with that combination. All I did was throw everything into a blender and blended on high speed (liquify setting) for a few minutes...scraping the jar with a brush after each minute. It took about three minutes of blending to get the pigment agglomerates broken up......

It had great coverage....but was really draggy (hmmm....lots of titanium dioxide), and kind of drying. I guess it was okay....but I like my liquid foundation better.

That was interesting and informative to read.
smile.gif

I like to add talc and silica to get rid of that "draggy" feel in everything, from foundation to eyeshadows.

Hey Carleen - Thanks so much for the tup on serecite powder, I will try it out ASAP.  What brand do you use ????????

Back