Giving Up on mineral makeup!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sucks about the MMU. I can say honestly that my skin was the same when I first started to wear MMU. I believe the MMU has helped my skin since it hasnt broken out & hasnt been dry since. It didnt happen over night but gradually I started to notice that my skin was getting less & less dry. Right now my skin is normal & hasnt looked better. FYI there is liquid MMU too. It can be frustrating I know first hand but its way worth it in the end.

Dont give up yet, try Jane Iredale. I have tried so many other brands and this one is by far the best.

Even when I get face peels and I am flaking it makes it look so much better.

I have the same problem as you and here's what I do! Wash, tone, moisturize, then I use the monistat gel and I love it! I know it sounds weird, but it really works. It feels awesome on my skin and it's like 6 bucks! Anyway, I apply that, then I use a slightly damp wedge sponge or my kabuki slightly damp, (I prefer the sponge) and apply my EDM intensive! Finish with finishing dust and then lightly spritz my face with Mario Badescu rose water (7 bucks and I love it) when that dries, I look to see if I have any flaky spots and if I do, I put a tiny amount of sweet oil, (which is a specially processed olive oil that you get in a small bottle by the pharmacy, very similar to DHC olive virgin oil for 3 bucks instead of 38) on the spot and it's gone! The flaky spot blends perfectly into my skin and the oil moisurizes my skin and also gives a nice glowy sheen to my skin! I know it sounds weird to put oil on your face, but I love it now! It doesn't cause any break outs and I put it on my forehead, cheeks and under eyes every night!! Hope this helps!!
smile.gif

Where can we get this sweet oil? Can you tell us exact info on it? Thnx!!

Just a word of caution on the Jane Iredale products. I too was a loyal devoted user until it started giving me a stinging feeling on my skin. I thought maybe it was my skin care but I hadn't changed it. After speaking to others they too told me they experienced the same reaction and not only that the place where I got my facials stopped carrying b/c too many customers were complaining of the same thing. I was really new at using MMU @ that time so I never even thought to contact the company...But believe me you now I know all about voicing my opinion
smile.gif
I know you can get samples first b/c that's how I got started on Jane Iredale. Try that B-4 investing full size.

The sweet oil is avaliable at any pharmacy, I believe, but I got mine at Wal-Mart! The brand is Humco and it's a little purple bottle for $3.84! Look over by the ear plugs and ear cleaning stuff! I guess it's by the ear stuff because you can use this oil to loosen ear wax too! I got this rec from another makeup site and I'm really liking it so far! Sometimes I'll put a tiny bit on my cheek bones and it gives a nice glow especially when the light hits it! It doesn't feel greasy at all! Just don't use a lot and make sure to rub it in well! I've really seen a difference in my skin since I've been using it at night! My forehead lines and crows feet around my eyes look a lot better! Olive oil has so many uses and is so good for your body inside and out! I use it on my cuticles and elbows too and you can use it on your lips too! I keep a small bottle in my purse incase I have any flakies throughout the day or if I need to wake up my skin with a little glow!!

Originally Posted by ShelbyLynn /img/forum/go_quote.gif If your looking for inexpensive you can try Monistat Anti-Chafing Gel.. it works extremely well.. I alternate between that and Smashbox. I use that chaffing gel too! But not on my face...loL!
rotfl.gif
Cool to know there are several uses for it!

Originally Posted by luvmylittleboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif Sorry it didn't work for you - I'm in the same boat, did nothing for me, but, make my pores look huge (which you normally don't see at all). I tried everything, but, nothing worked, so I switched over to non-mmu. I have been trying the new Prescriptives Anywear & loving it, so far!!!Good luck....

I still use mineral makeup but sometimes I like it and sometimes not. I also just got the Prescriptives Anywear and it feels alot like minerals (ie-it feels like I am not wearing anything and is not MASKY). I just started using it so I will see how that works out. I want to try a few different things for variety.

I use it mixed into my moisturiser and It works great for me. It also makes for a super quick application. Jane Iredale is perfect for those with dry skin.

what are some of the liquid mineral makeups out there?

Originally Posted by angel_eyes4evah /img/forum/go_quote.gif have you tried the liquid mineral foundation yet? Where can I found some? What brands make them?

Originally Posted by BEgirliegirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif Nope, I haven't tried a primer. I think that is the only thing I havent tried! What are some good, not expensive primers? How would I mix the makeup with my moisturizer Lumen makes a good primer that is not too expensive.

I'm thinking of giving up on mmu too which is a shame. MMU makes my skin look crevice-y. My skin is dry but also very sensitive so using pre-mmu-application products on my face other than a gentle moisturizer would be a no-no unless my dermatologist can recommend me a toner or primer. I've tried applying the mmu with a damp brush and that helps a bit but it still doesn't look as nice as my regular light-diffusing liquid foundation.

I just put a drop or so of moisturizer on the top of my hand, then drop in some minerals mix on top of hand, apply, wala~~ it works great, try that. Since you already have some you can try. I use olay HOWEVER i ALSO use another moisturizer prior to application, ie, I wash face, apply moisturizer, let it dry then apply the other. Good luck~~And whatever you do have fun~

I only use the mmu on rare occaisons, it doesnt give me as nice of a finish and my skin looks dry and the pores massive. I stick with my anti aging foundations tho and Im happpy.

Eesh, this is an old thread!

For skincare help (all types) hit http://gardenofwisdom.com - Markey (she owns GoW) is an angel and will help get you sorted.

I ended up using Silk Naturals for MMU, cos it's very sheer, doesn't cake on me, and doesn't turn my normally almost non-existent pores into craters. Silk can be good for both dry and oily skin, and if you have a reaction to that, there are a lot - a LOT - more MMU companies around than there used to be. Sampling can be a drag, but if you work out which ingredients are upsetting your skin, that can narrow it down quite a bit.

Definitely stay away from bismuth oxychloride, as that seems to be a major culprit for a lot of women, but most of the smaller MMU companies don't use it anyway. There are even mica-free foundations out there if that turns out to be the problem, though it's pretty rare.

Good luck!

ETA: You can spritz with hydrosol (the distillate left over from the making of essential oils, lavender is a good one for sensitive skin) both to get rid of cakiness in your make up and to keep your skin hydrated all day long - minerals don't run when they get wet. If you're on a tight budget, distilled water does the trick, too. And if you're massively reacting to something, only wash with distilled water mixed with a bit of ground oatmeal (the regular generic kind - don't cook it, just chop it in the blender a bit), and honey for a while - that'll usually calm your skin right down.

Im sorry to read that it isnt work for you.

I have a normal skin and in the beginging I was very disapointed.. but I'v sampling a lot and I found some foundations that works for me.. ofcourse with mixing with my moistoizer..

I've come to find that one of the best non mmu is by prescriptives. I'm just recently trying out EDM samples and found the I love it. I'm still new to it and I'm trying new techniques. Keep looking at the forums, the girls here have to many tips. maybe there's something you have yet to try?

I'm having the same problem! I am currently experimenting with primers to see if I can find one that works for me. I tried mixing it with my moisturizer and while it looked okay, it didn't last all day like I need.

have you tried applying it wet? it gives me a whole different look when i use my minerals wet and i find that it lasts all day and gives me much better coverage. you might look into that.

i have the same problem too when my skin is dry... i'll just use my Prescriptives Flawless Foundation and it seems to melt in much better on my skin.

Plus i can never get the perfect shade... i try mixing and sometimes get a close match. I will use the BE fair, fl, l, med... i just saw on the Sephora site that they are coming out with a new color in BE called "Golden Medium"... i cant wait to try it and see if its a match....

i also put on Prescriptives Line Preventer and Moisterizer, and then Smashbox primer.. and let dry in between and before i apply my mmu....

Back