Glossybox January 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by audiophilekate /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I tried the Sebastian Potion 9 after washing my hair tonight (yay for electricity!!!) and wasn't impressed.  My hair felt greasy and weighed-down.  Fast-forward 2 hours later (now) - I kinda like it.  My hair feels soft, but I use a conditioner with keratin and my hair always feel soft after I wash it.  I don't know what I was expecting, but it's just kinda meh.  I'll be trying the Living Proof stuff tomorrow before I do my hair.  Not quite sure I'm expecting from that.  My hair doesn't get greasy and I don't have a problem with my hair not holding a style well - all I do is straighten it.  It smells nice though.
I don't use any styling products in my hair, only leave in oil on the ends (sooo in love with Orofluido), but it also allows me to skip a day of washing my hair. Normally I can't because my scalp will get too oily and I'll get headaches from it. So far, the style extender has gotten rid of the frizzies I tend to get and my hair still doesn't feel greasy since application yesterday morning.

I think as an alternative to powder to skip a day or two of washing, this is a keeper for me.

Originally Posted by DragonChick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't use any styling products in my hair, only leave in oil on the ends (sooo in love with Orofluido), but it also allows me to skip a day of washing my hair. Normally I can't because my scalp will get too oily and I'll get headaches from it. So far, the style extender has gotten rid of the frizzies I tend to get and my hair still doesn't feel greasy since application yesterday morning.

I think as an alternative to powder to skip a day or two of washing, this is a keeper for me.
GASP!  No frizz?  I'm sold.  I hate the frizzies I get if I do my hair before I go to bed.  I have yet to try Orofluido.  I hope to get it in one of my boxes soon-ish.  It seems to be a favorite of quite a few users on here.  My hair is normally pretty thick, but it seems extra "full" today - you know, kind of like after a proper blow dry.

Tried the expensive moisterizer last night. Yes I loved the way it lasted all night!! I see what they hype is all about now. lol

I am SO jealous of you US folks. The UK Glossybox is pretty rubbish really.

I got the Feb one yesterday and it contained:

- a bottle of Balance Me Rose Otto body wash

- a Miners (drugstore product that sells for £2.99) lipstick in a very 90s wine shimmer colour

- a small pot of mineral shadow (sorry, forgot the brand but I don't know it) in a bronze colour that doesn't suit

- a small tin of lipbalm - full size is £3.99 at major drugstores, so about 49p worth

- a MeMeMe highlighter. This is a drugstore brand well known for doing cheaper dupes of Benefit products. Great if you want that kind of thing (mine was their version of Moon Beam, which doesn't suit my cool pale skin) but I could try it out in the store on my way home from work.

- a lollipop (admittedly tasty :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> )

I signed up so I could sample brands that are too expensive for me to invest in without trying first, so I'm really disappointed. I would LOVE me some OPI or Tarte.

Originally Posted by mippy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

- a Miners (drugstore product that sells for £2.99) lipstick in a very 90s wine shimmer colour

- a small pot of mineral shadow (sorry, forgot the brand but I don't know it) in a bronze colour that doesn't suit

- a small tin of lipbalm - full size is £3.99 at major drugstores, so about 49p worth

- a MeMeMe highlighter. This is a drugstore brand well known for doing cheaper dupes of Benefit products. Great if you want that kind of thing (mine was their version of Moon Beam, which doesn't suit my cool pale skin) but I could try it out in the store on my way home from work.

- a lollipop (admittedly tasty :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> )

I signed up so I could sample brands that are too expensive for me to invest in without trying first, so I'm really disappointed. I would LOVE me some OPI or Tarte.
Oh that is awful! Sounds like Canada's box where they are getting drug store items as well as expired products! By the way, as soon as I read the second sentence of your post I started reading it with a British accent in my head lol.

Originally Posted by mippy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had no idea about the UK GB, I had really thought they were a good one. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Good grief.  I got my last Glossybox Saturday (I canceled a week or so ago because I was just fed up with the lack of movement on my box.  It was a make-it-or-break-it month with this sub, and, well, broken), and I thought that would be the end of it.  I received the box with the tarte in Fierce, which is like a reddish-orange Crayon on me (thank you, Sephora, for your swatchable lipsticks), so I traded it for the same thing in Wild (cool cherry red!  Yes!  *Totally* my kind of color).  The only other thing in that box that I will use is the polish, but I got the box for free with my Glossydots, so whatever.  This subscription is behind me.

And then I got home from work tonight, and there was a second nearly-identical box waiting for me.  This one has the tarte gloss in natural beauty, and it looks like that one actually is a good color for me, but I'm thinking I might put it up for swap just because I have a lot of gloss already (I've been picking stila sets up periodically from Birchbox since I have a lot of points to use, but not many things in their store really interest me), although I'll swing by Sephora and swatch this one tomorrow just to make sure it's not something I will desperately miss if I do swap it away.  Strangely, the box itself does not have the Man Repeller sticker or the Man Repeller card inside (there's a card, but it's plain and unfolded.  The one I got in my first box was folded like a notecard with a little note from MP herself printed on the front), but the MP magazine was in there.  Whatever.  My saga is over, and that's all I care about, but just in case anyone else received a box over the weekend, you might still have another one on the way.  I just don't understand this company *at all*.

Good grief.  I got my last Glossybox Saturday (I canceled a week or so ago because I was just fed up with the lack of movement on my box.  It was a make-it-or-break-it month with this sub, and, well, broken), and I thought that would be the end of it.  I received the box with the tarte in Fierce, which is like a reddish-orange Crayon on me (thank you, Sephora, for your swatchable lipsticks), so I traded it for the same thing in Wild (cool cherry red!  Yes!  *Totally* my kind of color).  The only other thing in that box that I will use is the polish, but I got the box for free with my Glossydots, so whatever.  This subscription is behind me. And then I got home from work tonight, and there was a second nearly-identical box waiting for me.  This one has the tarte gloss in natural beauty, and it looks like that one actually is a good color for me, but I'm thinking I might put it up for swap just because I have a lot of gloss already (I've been picking stila sets up periodically from Birchbox since I have a lot of points to use, but not many things in their store really interest me), although I'll swing by Sephora and swatch this one tomorrow just to make sure it's not something I will desperately miss if I do swap it away.  Strangely, the box itself does not have the Man Repeller sticker or the Man Repeller card inside (there's a card, but it's plain and unfolded.  The one I got in my first box was folded like a notecard with a little note from MP herself printed on the front), but the MP magazine was in there.  Whatever.  My saga is over, and that's all I care about, but just in case anyone else received a box over the weekend, you might still have another one on the way.  I just don't understand this company *at all*.
Weirdness.. I already received mine, but guess what was in my mailbox ? Another box, with the same contents as your extra box.

So fun little tidbit - before nemo occurred I received one of those we tried to deliver your package receipt things in my mail box for a second glossybox. Sure enough, plugged in the tracking information and I was getting a second one. But, and now heres the sad face, my post office has  been closed since nemo on friday! =( I want my box...haha. Granted I know its a second one, but my grabby little hands want it anyway. Bad post office! 

Out of curiosity, how to do swatch/test lipstick at a store like Sephora? I am always grossed out by testers except for perfume, but I've never heard of lip product testers, I'm assumong you use a swab or something?It's worth it to note I'm from a state that does not have stores like Sephora.

Good grief.  I got my last Glossybox Saturday (I canceled a week or so ago because I was just fed up with the lack of movement on my box.  It was a make-it-or-break-it month with this sub, and, well, broken), and I thought that would be the end of it.  I received the box with the tarte in Fierce, which is like a reddish-orange Crayon on me (thank you, Sephora, for your swatchable lipsticks), so I traded it for the same thing in Wild (cool cherry red!  Yes!  *Totally* my kind of color).  The only other thing in that box that I will use is the polish, but I got the box for free with my Glossydots, so whatever.  This subscription is behind me. And then I got home from work tonight, and there was a second nearly-identical box waiting for me.  This one has the tarte gloss in natural beauty, and it looks like that one actually is a good color for me, but I'm thinking I might put it up for swap just because I have a lot of gloss already (I've been picking stila sets up periodically from Birchbox since I have a lot of points to use, but not many things in their store really interest me), although I'll swing by Sephora and swatch this one tomorrow just to make sure it's not something I will desperately miss if I do swap it away.  Strangely, the box itself does not have the Man Repeller sticker or the Man Repeller card inside (there's a card, but it's plain and unfolded.  The one I got in my first box was folded like a notecard with a little note from MP herself printed on the front), but the MP magazine was in there.  Whatever.  My saga is over, and that's all I care about, but just in case anyone else received a box over the weekend, you might still have another one on the way.  I just don't understand this company *at all*.

Out of curiosity, how to do swatch/test lipstick at a store like Sephora? I am always grossed out by testers except for perfume, but I've never heard of lip product testers, I'm assumong you use a swab or something?It's worth it to note I'm from a state that does not have stores like Sephora.
I just swipe them on my arm because I'm usually trying to compare two colors to each other, but they have alcohol to sanitize stuff and q-tips if you want to try them on your lips. It's just like swatching at a department store, although it seems like Nordstrom and Macy's have disposable brushes for that.

Originally Posted by Coocabarra /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Congrats on your new little bundle of joy! I did want to tell you though that the OPI dries very quickly due to its rough texture. I have 2 girls and a new baby boy, so I know ALL about not having time for nails to dry! I usually don't do them because of that reason. I also did my girl's nails in it because it dries so quickly. They are always on the go, and it makes it hard for their nails not to smudge while drying.
I couldn't help myself, and I tried the polish... and I LOVE it! Definitely taking it off my trade list, AND I'm even buying the exact shade for a friend. Favorite nail polish!!

It does dry quickly (love OPI)... wonder how long the finish lasts?

I finally tried the Potion 9. OMG, I love this stuff. I have natural hair and makes my hair curl ever so softly.

I couldn't help myself, and I tried the polish... and I LOVE it! Definitely taking it off my trade list, AND I'm even buying the exact shade for a friend. Favorite nail polish!! It does dry quickly (love OPI)... wonder how long the finish lasts?
It lasted two days for me without any noticeable tip wear (and I'm hard on my nails, so this is unheard of), and I probably could have gone for a few more if I hadn't decided it was time for a lavender holo. I might change back to it Friday night and see how truly long it lasts. The wear was truly shocking, but in a good way. ETA: *And* it came off relatively problem-free and quickly, which really surprised me since it is essentially a glitter.

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It lasted two days for me without any noticeable tip wear (and I'm hard on my nails, so this is unheard of), and I probably could have gone for a few more if I hadn't decided it was time for a lavender holo. I might change back to it Friday night and see how truly long it lasts. The wear was truly shocking, but in a good way.

ETA: *And* it came off relatively problem-free and quickly, which really surprised me since it is essentially a glitter.
I am so excited to use this now!!!

I got my box yesterday. I got the Tarte in Natural Beauty, and I tried it out this morning and it makes my lips look nice. I didn't get anything extra despite using the promo code LIPS. The boxes GB uses are really nice.

Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got my box yesterday. I got the Tarte in Natural Beauty, and I tried it out this morning and it makes my lips look nice. I didn't get anything extra despite using the promo code LIPS. The boxes GB uses are really nice.
Wow that's so late! I wonder if there's still people missing their boxes

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It lasted two days for me without any noticeable tip wear (and I'm hard on my nails, so this is unheard of), and I probably could have gone for a few more if I hadn't decided it was time for a lavender holo. I might change back to it Friday night and see how truly long it lasts. The wear was truly shocking, but in a good way.

ETA: *And* it came off relatively problem-free and quickly, which really surprised me since it is essentially a glitter.
I put mine on over the weekend and topped it off with a coat of Seche and the tips are now starting to wear. It comes off relatively easy for a glitter polish. (I use Zoya's Remove and the let the pad sit on the nail for a minute trick) If the other colors in the collection appealed to me, I would definitely buy those, but the purple one was the only one I really liked.

Latest posts

Back