Hairspray to set foundation?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by janetgriselle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agreed. I like finding inexpensive ways to do makeup just as much as the next girl, but that just doesn't seem safe. I'm allergic to a lot of things though, so I'd be worried I'd get some kind of reaction. I'd rather spend the money and get the MAC setting spray and know that it's developed for that purpose.
Do you happen to know what's in it since the MAC site does not list their ingredients?

I have model in a bottle and have compared ingredient lists to hairsprays and have tried both on myself (not clients LOL) and have had similar results....on my skin it works. However, it's vital to hold it far back from your face and completely close your eyes and mouth, hold your breath, and wait until it's completely dry before opening. (The directions do mention this on model in a bottle).

It's bad, but I don't mind using myself as a guinea pig for cosmetics .....

Originally Posted by greeneyedlady /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have model in a bottle and have compared ingredient lists to hairsprays and have tried both on myself (not clients LOL) and have had similar results....on my skin it works. However, it's vital to hold it far back from your face and completely close your eyes and mouth, hold your breath, and wait until it's completely dry before opening. (The directions do mention this on model in a bottle).

It's bad, but I don't mind using myself as a guinea pig for cosmetics .....
It's an old pageant trick. I mean old since it's been 20 years since I've competed and it was already like two or three decades old at the time. The hair spray that was recommended is AquaNet and only AquaNet as the newer ones have different stuff in it (more) while AquaNet has been pretty much untouched since it's creation.

For those curious here are the ingredients in the Aqua Net Pro Hair Spray (white can, pink label):

Water (Aqua), Dimethyl Ether, SD Alcohol 40 B (Alcohol Denat), VA/Crotonates/Vinyl Neodecanoate Copolymer, Acrylates Crosspolymer, Amino Methyl Propanol, Sodium Benzoate, Cyclohexylamine, Triethyl Citrate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Fragrance (Parfum)
Ingredients in Model In A Bottle:

The Ingredients are:

SD Alcohol 40B, Purified Water, Isopentyldiol, Acrylates / Octocrylamide, Copolymer, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera), Biosaccharide Gum, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, and light Fragrance
For those concerned about parabens... skip Model In A Bottle and use AquaNet since it contains no parabens. And Acylated Crosspolymer and Acrylate/Octocrylamide look to be the same item.

most hair sprays are not non-comedogenic I'm guessing..that would be hell for my skin..but I do sometimes use hairspray to groom my brows :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i would just maybe switch you makeup to something that just stays on without needing the help of hairspray. I use Dinair Airbrush Makeup and it just stays on all day long and i don't even have to retouch it throughout the rest of the day. It is wonderful!

Hair spray? is this some old school makeup artist secret i missed? Im scared that when i close my eyes and spray my face that my eyes will get stuck....lol 

Originally Posted by PrettyBrownMUA /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hair spray? is this some old school makeup artist secret i missed? Im scared that when i close my eyes and spray my face that my eyes will get stuck....lol 
Very old school. Old school makup artist, old school drag queen, old school beauty pageant BUT the hairspray used was Aqua Net and not any of the newer formulas. I posted before the ingredients of Model in a Bottle and it's pretty much the same as Aqua Net.

oh ok... cool. Thanks for the information.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Very old school. Old school makup artist, old school drag queen, old school beauty pageant BUT the hairspray used was Aqua Net and not any of the newer formulas. I posted before the ingredients of Model in a Bottle and it's pretty much the same as Aqua Net.

No dont do it! It's going to be a total disaster.

You'll start looking oily and you will probably break out and besides it is not formulated for your skin!

Your hair can withstand much stronger chemicals than your face.

There are cheap setting sprays out there, like the elf one. However the higher end ones are much better.

If you have a problem with your makeup not lasting all day, i would recommend investing in a good quality setting spray (they really work) not hairspray.

lol.... u so funny! Im not going to put hairspray on my face.... but i do enjoy reading others info, its good to hear other thoughts and ways of doing things.

Originally Posted by sharicimont /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No dont do it! It's going to be a total disaster.

You'll start looking oily and you will probably break out and besides it is not formulated for your skin!

Your hair can withstand much stronger chemicals than your face.

There are cheap setting sprays out there, like the elf one. However the higher end ones are much better.

If you have a problem with your makeup not lasting all day, i would recommend investing in a good quality setting spray (they really work) not hairspray.

Check out my beauty blog: http://sharice-style.blogspot.com/

Hairspray would totally break my skin out!! I would STAY AWAY from putting hairspray on your face.  There are setting sprays out on the market.  Just to name a few, there's Model in a Bottle, UD has 3 different sprays, Sephora has a makeup mist staying spray, ELF has a setting spray and MAC's Fix + is a setting spray, too.  So there's just a few to start looking into.  I love how the Sephora setting spray feels b/c you can use them directly on your bare skin and all the vitamins in the spray really make my skin feel great.  Put them in the fridge and spray them on your face when you get hot.  It is really refreshing! You can do that with your body sprays too, fyi.

Originally Posted by MakeupofDesire /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hairspray would totally break my skin out!! I would STAY AWAY from putting hairspray on your face.  There are setting sprays out on the market.  Just to name a few, there's Model in a Bottle, UD has 3 different sprays, Sephora has a makeup mist staying spray, ELF has a setting spray and MAC's Fix + is a setting spray, too.  So there's just a few to start looking into.  I love how the Sephora setting spray feels b/c you can use them directly on your bare skin and all the vitamins in the spray really make my skin feel great.  Put them in the fridge and spray them on your face when you get hot.  It is really refreshing! You can do that with your body sprays too, fyi.
Which has the virtually the same ingredients as AquaNet hairspray. lol In fact most setting sprays contain the many of the ingredients that AquaNet does.

Model in a Bottle - $18

Ingredients: SD Alcohol 40B, Purified Water, Isopentyldiol, Acrylates / Octocrylamide, Copolymer, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera), Biosaccharide Gum, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, and light Fragrance

Kat Von D Lock 'n' Load Makeup Setting Mist - $24

Ingredients: Water / Aqua / Eau, Alcohol, PVP, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Mineral Oil / ParaffinumLiquidum/ HuileMinerale, Aloe BarbadensisLeaf Extract, PolyhydroxystearicAcid, Isononyl Isononanoate, EthylhexylIsononanoate, Sodium CocamidopropylPG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, CucumisSativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Fragrance/Parfum.

Urban Decay De-Slick Oil-Control Makeup Setting Spray

Ingredients: Aqua (Water), SD-Alcohol 39-C, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Isononyl Isononanoate, Ethylhexyl Isononanoate, Sodium Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, PVP, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Methyl Diisopropyl Propionamide, Methyl Methacrylate Cross Polymer, Dimethicone PEG-7 Phosphate, Gluconolactone, Sodium Benzoate, PPG-3 Benzyl Ether Myristate, Glycereth-5 Lactate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Fragrance.

Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray - $29

Ingredients: Aqua (Water), SD-Alcohol 39-C, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Isononyl Isononanoate Ethylhexyl Isononanoate, Sodium Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate PVP, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Methyl Diisopropyl Propionamide, Dimethicone PEG-7 Phosphate, PPG-3 Benzyl Ether Myristate, Gluconolactone, Sodium Benzoate, Glycereth-5 Lactate, Methyl Methacrylate Cross Polymer, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Fragrance.

Aqua Net - $3.50

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Dimethyl Ether, SD Alcohol 40 B (Alcohol Denat), VA/Crotonates/Vinyl Neodecanoate Copolymer, Acrylates Crosspolymer, Amino Methyl Propanol, Sodium Benzoate, Cyclohexylamine, Triethyl Citrate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Fragrance (Parfum)

Now Mac Fix + contains no alcohol and instead contains glycerine. You can make a $5 (or less) version.

Mac Fix + $19

Ingredients: Water, glycerin, butylene glycol, cucumber fruit extract, chamomilla, camellia leaf extract, tocophryl acetate, caffeine, panthenol, hydrogenated castor oil, fragrance

Hmmm...I would try it but I don't even like hairspray on my hair and my skin is super reactive.  I think I would postpone on both.  I learned my lesson on milk of magnesia.

I was at a friends party and some of his friends are drag queens. Although, it was a very humid night their makeup was flawless...their trick hairspray! I heard this was an old pageant trick years ago. Thanks for listing the ingredients! It shows you how similar products are. They might change something but the active/main ingredients are the same. Sheer marketing.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Which has the virtually the same ingredients as AquaNet hairspray. lol In fact most setting sprays contain the many of the ingredients that AquaNet does.

Model in a Bottle - $18

Ingredients: SD Alcohol 40B, Purified Water, Isopentyldiol, Acrylates / Octocrylamide, Copolymer, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera), Biosaccharide Gum, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, and light Fragrance

Kat Von D Lock 'n' Load Makeup Setting Mist - $24

Ingredients: Water / Aqua / Eau, Alcohol, PVP, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Mineral Oil / ParaffinumLiquidum/ HuileMinerale, Aloe BarbadensisLeaf Extract, PolyhydroxystearicAcid, Isononyl Isononanoate, EthylhexylIsononanoate, Sodium CocamidopropylPG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, CucumisSativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Fragrance/Parfum.

Urban Decay De-Slick Oil-Control Makeup Setting Spray

Ingredients: Aqua (Water), SD-Alcohol 39-C, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Isononyl Isononanoate, Ethylhexyl Isononanoate, Sodium Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, PVP, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Methyl Diisopropyl Propionamide, Methyl Methacrylate Cross Polymer, Dimethicone PEG-7 Phosphate, Gluconolactone, Sodium Benzoate, PPG-3 Benzyl Ether Myristate, Glycereth-5 Lactate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Fragrance.

Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray - $29

Ingredients: Aqua (Water), SD-Alcohol 39-C, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Isononyl Isononanoate Ethylhexyl Isononanoate, Sodium Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate PVP, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Methyl Diisopropyl Propionamide, Dimethicone PEG-7 Phosphate, PPG-3 Benzyl Ether Myristate, Gluconolactone, Sodium Benzoate, Glycereth-5 Lactate, Methyl Methacrylate Cross Polymer, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Fragrance.

Aqua Net - $3.50

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Dimethyl Ether, SD Alcohol 40 B (Alcohol Denat), VA/Crotonates/Vinyl Neodecanoate Copolymer, Acrylates Crosspolymer, Amino Methyl Propanol, Sodium Benzoate, Cyclohexylamine, Triethyl Citrate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Fragrance (Parfum)

Now Mac Fix + contains no alcohol and instead contains glycerine. You can make a $5 (or less) version.

Mac Fix + $19

Ingredients: Water, glycerin, butylene glycol, cucumber fruit extract, chamomilla, camellia leaf extract, tocophryl acetate, caffeine, panthenol, hydrogenated castor oil, fragrance

Back