Have you ever had a negative comment about your make-up?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The very first time I tried makeup I was in maybe 8th or 9th grade and was home alone for a little while. I got bored and busted into my moms (minimal) makeup drawer. She didn't even notice until dinner, then said "you didn't do too bad, but go easier on the eyes next time." That was it and I've worn makeup ever since, but for years I was terrified of having visible eyeshadow, so only wore barely-there nudes. I was in my late thirties before I got over it! Amazing how the littlest things can sometimes have huge impact.
My first-ever negative comment (besides the nuns at my school giving me fire and-brimstone about makeup in general) came when I was 15. I had this CoverGirl shadow quad full of highly frosty, very rich greens. I don't know if it was the pigmentation or application, but a guy in my neighborhood told me I looked like I had slapped seaweed on my face. I was in my 40's before I rallied up the courage to try green shadow again!

I have a job which requires me to wear a uniform everyday. It's the worst uniform, too! Pale, light blue shirt with dark blue pants...and no, I don't work at the post office hahaha But anywho.. One day I wore a detailed green eye look. I thought it was gorgeous but when I got to work a guy (of course) made the comment that "Kaitlin likes to wear green eye shadow that doesn't even match her uniform." He said it in front of a group of people and I felt my blush get ten shades brighter. It honestly, really hurt my feelings. So much so that I went to the bathroom and rubbed some of the eye shadow off to try and tone it down. Ever since that day I haven't worn any extravagant eye looks. My boyfriend also told me once that the OCC lip tar Queen looked "weird" on me...so I don't wear that anymore. I gave him hell for saying that to me so now he doesn't comment on anything except to tell me I look pretty lol.

My husband once told me that my bright green Butter London nail polish looked weird on me. He wasn't sure what it was, but just it looked odd. I think it just didn't go well with my skin tone. Before he said anything I was wondering if it clashed too. My husband never says anything negative about my makeup, so when he said that I was like this must really look awful. I'd rather he say something though about my make up or clothes if they clash than me go to work and look weird. One time though before we got engaged he commented on me wearing sweat pants out to dinner--it wasn't even a nice dressy place; it was a run down BBQ place. I don't know why, but I really just snapped at him for it. I felt bad about it, but I guess we were just dating, and I didn't know if this was going to be some normal behavior of his to tell me how to dress and I wasn't going to be in a relationship were a man dictated to me how to dress and for that kind of behavior to escalate to other areas in life. Turns out that wasn't his normal behavior, but he thought sweats to a restaurant was weird.

I don't know if it's an insult or not but my bf makes fun of my foundation routine "Primer?! What are you doing over there, painting my car?" Lmao My sisters mostly make fun of me but they're typically kidding

Yes. 1) When I was first looking for an agent (circa 2002), the Booker ripped apart my book saying my work was well below industry standards. Took me a good 4 months of getting it up to standards before I was repped. 2) Other Key MUA's in film... But the industry is perfectionist In general. I also get some negative feedback from others in the film / fashion world, (not so much now, but it does rarely happen), again it's all meeting higher standards. Then there is the dreaded personal make-overs. Some like my work / look, others don't. It's all personal preference and taste to the person I am working on. Even though it's dreaded, Personals are by far my fav type of make-up to do.

When we were visiting my husbands family, his great-aunt looked at me and goes "Blue today, huh?" in that what were you thinking tone. I just looked her in the eye and said "Yup, blue!". Otherwise people usually just don't pay attention to me.

Quote: Originally Posted by amygab1126 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I get very frequent compliments on my makeup from women when I'm in public. BUT if we're talking negative, there's only the fact that guys I date often tell me I don't have to wear so much. I have to say that the whole, "You don't need that! You're pretty without it!" is really more irritating than helpful. I'm sure a lot of you know exactly what I mean, too. ('Cause most of the time they truthfully mean, "Holy crap, do I really need to wait around for you to finish that? Let's just go already!")
Augh! That one dives me insane. Especially if a guy just assumes the reason you're wearing makeup is to impress men.

It's just seems that a lot of people don't get that we like wearing makeup. It's not a chore or something we do because we feel it's a social requirement. It's fun!

Quote: Originally Posted by Dashery /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Augh! That one dives me insane. Especially if a guy just assumes the reason you're wearing makeup is to impress men.

It's just seems that a lot of people don't get that we like wearing makeup. It's not a chore or something we do because we feel it's a social requirement. It's fun!
Exactly! People who don't use makeup seem to have this assumption that those who do wear it use it to cover up the fact that they're ugly. Ummm...no. It's fun.

I am going on the flip side here... Most, if not all female film crew members don't wear make-up first thing in the morning... That's just how it is. Anyways... One morning on set I told my assistant (as a compliment) that she looked like P!nk. I thought no harm done. Unbenounced to me, she doesn't like P!nk because of her strong facial features... Who knew??? She then promptly sat down at her station and did her make-up. 20 min later she got up and I said "... And now you look like Pee-Wee Herman..." She just glared at me with that expression on her face like Calvin from Calvin and Hobbs with a thought-bubble over her head with a storm cloud in it.

Back