Hey Fashionistas! Willing to help me out?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am really trying to get a new clothing image. Right now, my wardrobe consists of blue jeans and t shirts that are WAY too big for me (leftovers from my obese days). I'd like change it up a bit but I'm scared as stupid as that sounds.

Thanks to a comment HelloLeilani made in the LBB thread, I am now playing with an outfit idea centered around a couple of pieces in my current LBB selections.

I was thinking of maybe creating an outfit using these jewelry pieces along with tan or brown jeans with an oversized white button up shirt, belted (unsure on belt color) and some dark brown or even purple sandals/flats.

This is really all new to me since before I did my best to make sure I disappeared so I am very much treading into uncomfortable territory but I'd like to at least do it in comfortable clothes. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Am I on to something or am I just crazy?

Hi Pancua!

I would not call myself a Fashionista, but, over the past year I have been making an effort to dress with more style than I have for many years. When I was younger, in my teens and 20's I used to wear cute outfits and had my own quirky punk/nerdy style but as the years went on and other things in my life became more important than making effort on my wardrobe, I started looking and feeling more and more plain: mainly tee shirt, jeans and sneakers. I guess what changed was, just looking in the mirror thinking, what happened to me? I used to look so cute..

Anyhow, I just wanted to give you some support and a couple of tips that I believe in. First, there are so many different kinds of styles out there, don't be afraid to look in thrift stores, consignment shops, etsy, as well as your local mall. You can find lots of really neat things on etsy, but I would stay away from sellers who don't accept returns. Even if the measurements sound like it will fit, not every style is flattering on every body. In spite of that, I have ordered several reasonably priced, unique custom items from etsy sellers, nothing fits like custom made clothes. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

There is no reason for you to settle for something you are not crazy about. You should feel good in it. If you are trying things on at the store and you look in the mirror and say, hummm, not sure about this one, pass it up. I think we all have items in our closets that we weren't sure about but bought anyway and a lot of the times those items never get worn. Bring a friend with you, preferably someone you kind of like their style. Its always more fun with a friend along.

Have fun with it! Oh, and I like the blue beads, green is my color and I have a similar chunky green beaded bracelet and necklace. I think they would look great layered with a sleeveless blouse with some "fluff" on it, like ruffles or tucks or something and maybe a cardigan? Yep, some jeans and flats too.

Old Navy is a great place for trying out new trendy clothes. Their sizing is reasonable (although inconsistent) but Its cheap, so if you decide you don't like something you bought, at least you didn't drop a mint on it.

Thanks! I appreciate the tips. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by suenotto /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi Pancua!

I would not call myself a Fashionista, but, over the past year I have been making an effort to dress with more style than I have for many years. When I was younger, in my teens and 20's I used to wear cute outfits and had my own quirky punk/nerdy style but as the years went on and other things in my life became more important than making effort on my wardrobe, I started looking and feeling more and more plain: mainly tee shirt, jeans and sneakers. I guess what changed was, just looking in the mirror thinking, what happened to me? I used to look so cute..

Anyhow, I just wanted to give you some support and a couple of tips that I believe in. First, there are so many different kinds of styles out there, don't be afraid to look in thrift stores, consignment shops, etsy, as well as your local mall. You can find lots of really neat things on etsy, but I would stay away from sellers who don't accept returns. Even if the measurements sound like it will fit, not every style is flattering on every body. In spite of that, I have ordered several reasonably priced, unique custom items from etsy sellers, nothing fits like custom made clothes. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

There is no reason for you to settle for something you are not crazy about. You should feel good in it. If you are trying things on at the store and you look in the mirror and say, hummm, not sure about this one, pass it up. I think we all have items in our closets that we weren't sure about but bought anyway and a lot of the times those items never get worn. Bring a friend with you, preferably someone you kind of like their style. Its always more fun with a friend along.

Have fun with it! Oh, and I like the blue beads, green is my color and I have a similar chunky green beaded bracelet and necklace. I think they would look great layered with a sleeveless blouse with some "fluff" on it, like ruffles or tucks or something and maybe a cardigan? Yep, some jeans and flats too.

Old Navy is a great place for trying out new trendy clothes. Their sizing is reasonable (although inconsistent) but Its cheap, so if you decide you don't like something you bought, at least you didn't drop a mint on it.

I'm gonna ask, and please don't be offended--why not incorporate more touches of your SCA gear into your daily? Accessories and such....It's a great look for you, after all!

As you know, I'm ALLLL about developing a personal style (even though my daily wear is primarily jeans and t-shirts, I STILL look well put together). I could be wrong, but I feel like you'd feel good in like broomstick skirts with clunky jewelry like you posted above--very Laurel Canyon, if that makes sense?

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm gonna ask, and please don't be offended--why not incorporate more touches of your SCA gear into your daily? Accessories and such....It's a great look for you, after all!

As you know, I'm ALLLL about developing a personal style (even though my daily wear is primarily jeans and t-shirts, I STILL look well put together). I could be wrong, but I feel like you'd feel good in like broomstick skirts with clunky jewelry like you posted above--very Laurel Canyon, if that makes sense?
I get asked that a lot but it simply isn't my style at all. Broomstick skirts are not that attractive to me at all and beside all of that, I SCA pretty much every weekend. The last thing I want to do is bring it into my mundane clothing as well. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'd like a break from it.

That's totally fair. What sort of looks do you like on OTHER people? What qualities are important to you in an outfit? That will make it easier to make suggestions, ya know?

Mostly stuff considered business casual like the first two on this (the blue shirt is a little too....matronly for my taste.) 

Again, the first two on the pic below though I wouldn't mind finding a neutral blazer to wear out on occasions.

I like simple and clean, easy to wear, easy to take care of and isn't overly busy or fussy. I don't like bows or excess ruffles. Basically, I don't like looking like an overdressed cupcake.

I was trying to put together an outfit on polyvore but it doesn't have some of the lines I am looking for so that is why I had to only use descriptors in my original post to get what I am seeing in my mind's eye.

So basically, clean, uncluttered lines (MAYBE with a pop from an accent piece).... Check out the Phillip Lim collection on Nordstrom's site....I THINK that's the sort of stuff you're looking for? (I think he's overpriced, but the styling seems up your alley based on the pics you posted above)

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So basically, clean, uncluttered lines (MAYBE with a pop from an accent piece).... Check out the Phillip Lim collection on Nordstrom's site....I THINK that's the sort of stuff you're looking for? (I think he's overpriced, but the styling seems up your alley based on the pics you posted above)
Oh I definitely want pop of color and have been working my wardrobe and jewelry up to that. I am all about bold statement pieces. It's just finding those that are best suited for me. The necklace I picked up in Seattle really hit the spot. Just need to find clothes to go with it!

Oohhh I think I can help with this! People always tell me I look really pulled together..my dentist asked me if I ever considered working in fashion, lol. Obviously you should come visit and I will take you shopping. Macy's and Nordstrom are great places to start, you can find classic pieces that will work with a number of outfits. At Macy's, one of their store brands is INC, based on what you posted above, I think you would love their stuff. They have a straight sized line, petite line, and plus line. 

A top like this with a nice crisp white pant would look really amazing. 

A  blazer like this is great for dressing things up in the summer, granted it is juniors so you may want to look in the plus sizes for a 0x or  1x. 

I myself am a dress person, so let me know if you want some good ideas for dresses! 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oohhh I think I can help with this! People always tell me I look really pulled together..my dentist asked me if I ever considered working in fashion, lol. Obviously you should come visit and I will take you shopping. Macy's and Nordstrom are great places to start, you can find classic pieces that will work with a number of outfits. At Macy's, one of their store brands is INC, based on what you posted above, I think you would love their stuff. They have a straight sized line, petite line, and plus line. 

A top like this with a nice crisp white pant would look really amazing. 

A  blazer like this is great for dressing things up in the summer, granted it is juniors so you may want to look in the plus sizes for a 0x or  1x. 

I myself am a dress person, so let me know if you want some good ideas for dresses! 
Thanks for the links!

I'm not too crazy about the shirt, I would have to see it in person and it would have to be available in any color but pink. I just really can't stand that color and many an outfits have been turned down because the only piece I could find that was a perfect fit was due to pink.

I do like the blazer, I am forever pushing my sleeves up so a blazer that would be okay with that would be awesome!

So the outfit I described in my initial post, would it be workable?

Originally Posted by Pancua /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the links!

I'm not too crazy about the shirt, I would have to see it in person and it would have to be available in any color but pink. I just really can't stand that color and many an outfits have been turned down because the only piece I could find that was a perfect fit was due to pink.

I do like the blazer, I am forever pushing my sleeves up so a blazer that would be okay with that would be awesome!

So the outfit I described in my initial post, would it be workable?
It would really depend on the fit of the pieces. Be careful with oversized shirts, especially if you are short! You don't want to look like you are swimming or have them cut you in the wrong place. I'm not too crazy about colored jeans, either. I think a nice pair of khakis in the right fit would be better than jeans for the look. 

It would really depend on the fit of the pieces. Be careful with oversized shirts, especially if you are short! You don't want to look like you are swimming or have them cut you in the wrong place. I'm not too crazy about colored jeans, either. I think a nice pair of khakis in the right fit would be better than jeans for the look. 
I was looking at some of the colored jeans and they werent calling to me, I just didnt want to do slacks. I've yet to find slacks that are comfortable for every day wear. I didn't think of khakis, I will have to try some on next time I am at JCP. Thanks!

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. I suck at wearing clothing, and it doesn't help that my body is weirdly shaped (at least in my eyes- everything looks like crap on me).

Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. I suck at wearing clothing, and it doesn't help that my body is weirdly shaped (at least in my eyes- everything looks like crap on me).
The one thing I learned a long time ago is very rarely will clothes fit you off the rack. I'm lucky in the fact that I can sew and know others who are tailors so they can alter my clothes for me.

Yeah, but I hate shopping for stuff that I'd need to get altered, because I like instant gratification and can't imagine something that looks dumb on me now looking good later.

Some day I should just go to Nordstrom and have one of their "stylists" put together a few outfits that are interchangeable and have them tailored, since Nordstrom offers that kind of service too.

Post pics! Or describe it, I can help you! One of the things I'm best at is finding flattering clothing! You just have to trust me, lol. 

Yeah, but I hate shopping for stuff that I'd need to get altered, because I like instant gratification and can't imagine something that looks dumb on me now looking good later.

Some day I should just go to Nordstrom and have one of their "stylists" put together a few outfits that are interchangeable and have them tailored, since Nordstrom offers that kind of service too.
Macy's will give you a personal shopper too! Honestly that is my dream job, lol. How I ended up at a desk is beyond me.

Macy's will give you a personal shopper too! Honestly that is my dream job, lol. How I ended up at a desk is beyond me.
I've shopped at Macys quite a bit and never heard of the personal shopper. How do you go about getting one?

Quote: Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Post pics! Or describe it, I can help you! One of the things I'm best at is finding flattering clothing! You just have to trust me, lol. 

I don't like pictures due to keeping anonymity.

I'm  5'9.5." I have wide hips (holy crap I just measured them and they are 40" which means I have put on 2" this year) and big boobs (G), but a small rib cage (30" but I wear a 32). Thanks to my boobs I can't wear most shirts/tops because they end up being too short. My approximate inseam is 32". My weight fluctuates, and one day a size 10 shorts will fit perfectly, but the next a 15 would be too small. My posture is atrocious and if I'm honest, right now I've got a decent beer (and soda, bread, candy) belly going on too. Ugh, measuring myself makes me feel ashamed and gross.

I should mention that I may or may not be a member of the body dysmorphia committee.

Latest posts

Back