Hi, I'm new, just joined Birchbox for $5. What subscriptions are GREAT? :)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wantable is my current favorite for full-size makeup. And I'm definitely preferring Glossybox over Birchbox these days for overall skincare/makeup samples.

Tried them once. I ended up with a bunch of white shirts sent to me, no kidding. I sent everything back- I thought it was really cheap looking even for white shirts, and spent $20 for shipping.

Won't ever go back to Stitch Fix. I hope they have improved, or maybe my taste is more classic and they are more boho... I really hope you find something you like in your box to justify the $20 they charge to send out random tops. I didn't get anything coordinating nor a dress, and I used their services when you had price ranges to choose from and I chose a high one.
that's the only thing I am worried about. I wish there was some reviews on the fashion door. Because then I wouldn't have pay for the $20 charge

that's the only thing I am worried about. I wish there was some reviews on the fashion door. Because then I wouldn't have pay for the $20 charge
I have a feeling that at the time, I was a bit outside their usual demographics. I live in a climate which never gets really cold and it was definitely winter season for most of the USA, so I had asked them not to send heavy winter items as I could not use them. I probably got the " leftovers" from their summer season, and it was probably my fault. If I had ordered a box in spring/ summer, I would probably have gotten lovely and wearable items which were more varied and made of better fabrics. I believe they have upped their inventory greatly since then. I hope you have a great experience with them. 

OK, this is seriously FUN!!

Thus far, for June, I've received: Pop Sugar MH which I LOVE and I read the book all day yesterday- but somehow I figured out where it was all going at the very beginning. ( spooky)

It's a great box and I like it all very much, especially the book, body lotion and large towel.

Ipsy- Just arrived. Happy with the Rebecca Minkoff bag. Love the NYX Butter Glaze in a pretty pink, the Marc Anthony Beach waves spray ( my hair has enough natural wave to perform perfectly with these sprays-- if I let it air dry).

Not sure how I feel about the Bombshell brand of products and another mascara from them.

Totally bummed that my eye pencil is BROWN. I am eye pencil cursed. I want COLOR!!!!!

The Realtree fragrance or whatever it is is in a separate bag because it LEAKS. 

5 products- 3 of them full sized plus a cute makeup bag for $10 or so is unbelievable!!

Beauty DNA-Got a tremendously soothing Avene' Serenage French brand facial serum. $51 retail, for $24. 

BLUSH- This one has beat all the others in fun factor and content volume and value thus far this month. 

I know last month's was said not to be great.. But I want to thank those who suggested it to me. I would have paid $25 just for the cleanser alone. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Or almost that for the NYX palette. or almost that for just the hair masque or Alterna caviar gel ( a line I have used and like very well). 

I am waiting for:

Fit Fab Fun- not sure when they will be shipping

Birchbox June and Birchbox Modern Mermaid which is supposed to arrive UPS tomorrow

Two boxes from MeMe box ( they need to offer a recurring subscription!!)

Glossybox- I realize it could be a long wait LOL

Lip Factory

Boxy Charm- A bit worried about this one as they didn't ask anything about my coloring or skin type... 

And I joined Cate and Chloe for at least one month because I know their jewelry is worth at least $10 a piece.

Any other suggestions about subs to try?

I'm game for just about anything except all natural,  food boxes, indie boxes, or celeb. curated quarterly boxes. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
This is probably my favorite topic in life...I have tried tons of boxes, and here are my thoughts.

Ipsy and Birchbox are okay, but after a while I got too many samples and I really don't miss them when they are gone.  Ipsy gets SO REPETITIVE with the brands they use, and BB samples are great brands but too teeny.  None of the other $10 boxes can compete with those two, and sample society and glossybox were just okay for me, not really worth the extra $$.  Julep is fun at first, but by the end I had waaaaaaaaaaayyyy too much nail polish.

I just can't quit popsugar; it is the one box I keep coming back to, and I look back at the few boxes I missed and I'm sad.  I get all of the special edition PSMH boxes too.  I just subbed to fabfitfun and I'm hoping I'll feel the same way.  I also just subbed to Le Metier de Beaute and I am REALLY excited to build up a nice collection of their products. 

In addition to those three subs, I keep an eye out for tarte and IT Cosmetics recurring kits on QVC, get all Sephora favorites kits, get all of the allure beauty boxes, participate in Influenster and Bzzagent, and do product testing for L'Oreal. 

I, uh, have too much stuff.  No one needs to do all of this.  And samples build up REALLY quickly, I wouldn't recommend actually getting 5 subs at once!

Back