Holiday 2014 No/Low-Buy Planning

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I have! I keep the notebook on my vanity :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> It's really helpful and so invigorating to see my list of "used up" items grow, plus it reminds me what I'd like to buy and what won't be repurchased.

I love your print out with pictures! if I wasn't so lazy I'd do the same, lol but writing them down works just as well for me (again, I'm lazy).
Cool! I'm glad you're still doing it!

--

Ok, this is ridiculous, I need to set myself new restrictions because I need to decide what all I'm allowed this holiday.

The big pull for me isn't holiday sets anymore, actually, but the

VIB 20% off sale, and a little bit of pull from the $ off coupons, the deluxe sample bags, advent stuff, and black friday stuff
. I let fear of two LE sets being sold out force my hand, one of which I've returned and the other I haven't received yet but am SUPER happy that I ended up getting it- it's the only Holiday thing I really, really wanted!

The Lorac Mega Pro is what I'm talking about.

So this evening is my deadline for making a list of restrictions- this will include what I can buy, what I cannot buy, prices, shops to use, savings and gwp plans as well. I need the timing to be right to maximize my profits. Hehe. So, I will update this thread by 10:45 pm at the LATEST. After that time, I will save my work and not change it. HERE GOES!!!!

I'm still waiting on a few companies to release their offerings before I decide my final list, but I think I'm getting there. I'm going to have a firm list for the actual items I know I want to buy, and then a small budget ($50 I think?) to take advantage of random things that come up--like Ulta points promos (I need some new brushes!) or some indie product I must try. [Edited to add: but that $50 can NOT be used to get things in my "problematic" categories--eyes, lips, and cheeks--just on things like body/bath products, brushes, a deal on my BB cream, etc.]

Okay, here are the specific treating-myself items I'm planning on getting (i.e., things I totally don't need but just want):

• Either the Urban Decay Full Frontal mini lippies set OR a Bite Beauty set. As of right now, all I've seen that Bite is releasing is the lip pencils. If that is all they are releasing, I'll get the UD instead (the lip pencils don't interest me as much). But if they do come out with a lipstick set, I may get that instead of Full Frontal, depending on colors and price point. 
  • I *think* I'm going to get the Too Faced Melted Kisses set during the Sephora 20% off promo. I'm guessing that I will only want to try/use the two lighter colors in the kit, which would normally make this a bad buy, but I'm hoping that I'll get a Secret Santee that likes dark lippies or wants to try TF Melteds!
  • The Tarte mini $10 set with a blush and a cheek highlight. This will fulfill my Tarte blush craving (lusting after this year's palette, like I mentioned!) for much less money!
  • Stila In the Know eyeshadow palette. I know this isn't a holiday item, but I heard they might be discontinuing this and I've wanted it forever. I ended up liking this more than any of the eyeshadow palettes I've seen from the holiday season, so I figured why not get this instead? I'm hoping it comes back in stock on Birchbox so I can get it with points!
Right now, assuming I don't get anything at a discount, my list totals $113. I'm assuming I'll be able to get at least 20% off on most of them, so hopefully it ends up being under $100!

And then I am planning on getting a few value sets during the various Sephora sales/gift bag promos of things I already use and love:

• A L'Occitane hand cream set with 5 hand creams. These are my favorite hand cream, and I tend to go through hand lotion pretty quickly, so I think stocking up is okay in this case! And I'm being good by resisting the 10 piece set anyway, haha.
  • An Ole Henriksen skincare set. I'm leaning toward the 3 Little Wonders Bonus Collection because aside from the face wash, the 3 little wonders are HG products for me! (And I like the face wash too). And amazingly, I don't have a super hoarded stash of skincare products right now!
  • A $10 Blinc mascara set, if Sephora runs that promo again during Black Friday. 
  • A $10 Caudalie hand cream/chapstick set, if they run that promo again during Black Friday too! Caudalie hand cream is a close second to L'Occitane (can you tell my hands are super dry?!). 

If I stick to these lists, I will CERTAINLY still letting myself indulge in the holiday deals and sets, and I really shouldn't feel deprived at all. But at the same time, I'll be sticking to a preset budget and not letting myself get caught up in every good review or new deal that comes out. Now the hard part--doing it!
Ugh, my plan keeps changing! But I am being fairly successful with removing things as I add as well. Here is my revised holiday purchases list:

• Either the Urban Decay Full Frontal mini lippies set OR a Bite Beauty set. As of right now, all I've seen that Bite is releasing is the lip pencils. If that is all they are releasing, I'll get the UD instead (the lip pencils don't interest me as much). But if they do come out with a lipstick set, I may get that instead of Full Frontal, depending on colors and price point. I've talked myself out of the UD set. I know in reality I won't wear some of the more vibrant colors enough to justify purchasing them, and I already have a clear lip liner. I'm better off getting a full-sized UD lippie in another color I want to try than getting this set (but I don't think I'm going to do that now). I AM however very interested in seeing what Bite Beauty puts out. Right now there are a couple of minis that I have my eye on, but if the release a bigger set that is not lip crayons I will probably be all over that!
  • I *think* I'm going to get the Too Faced Melted Kisses set during the Sephora 20% off promo. I'm guessing that I will only want to try/use the two lighter colors in the kit, which would normally make this a bad buy, but I'm hoping that I'll get a Secret Santee that likes dark lippies or wants to try TF Melteds! Seeing this go out of stock made me totally panic and realize I didn't want to pass this up! Luckily it is available at Ulta now, and I have my 20% off coupon. So the plan is to purchase that this week. I'll try out the two lighter colors first and see if I like the formula. If I do, I will probably keep the darker ones too, but if not, to my Secret Santee or trade they go!
  • The Tarte mini $10 set with a blush and a cheek highlight. This will fulfill my Tarte blush craving (lusting after this year's palette, like I mentioned!) for much less money! I'm going to pass on this for now...I think. The highlighter looks too dark for me. 
  • Stila In the Know eyeshadow palette. I know this isn't a holiday item, but I heard they might be discontinuing this and I've wanted it forever. I ended up liking this more than any of the eyeshadow palettes I've seen from the holiday season, so I figured why not get this instead? I'm hoping it comes back in stock on Birchbox so I can get it with points! AHHH I can't find this palette anywhere!!! I am panicking I missed it and it won't be restocked anywhere. Sephora still has it listed on its site, and it has gone in and out of stock from there before, so I'm hoping it comes back there! And Nordstrom has it listed as a delayed shipping. 
  • I MIGHT end up getting one other thing--there is a Bare Minerals set for $22 that I might get from Ulta. It includes a Ready eyeshadow duo (one of my favorite formulas) and a mineral veil, both products I know I like and will use. But I'm going see how I'm feeling about staying on budget and then decide. 
  • Edited to add: I also plan to make a not-small Lush haul, so I probably should be accounting for that on my lists! And maybe a small indie (HoG) scents purchase before the end of the year. 

For the most part, my "stock up" list (things I know I'll use like my favorite mascara or a good value skincare set) is still the same, so I won't repost that. However, I do have some other skincare stuff that I am almoooost done with and really need to order a new one for...but I'm trying to wait for deals!

One more thought--

I'm annoyed that I have an Ulta coupon right now, but that a lot of the brands I'm planning on purchasing (L'Occitane, Ole Henriksen, etc.) aren't available there! I'm trying to limit what I buy at Sephora also because I'm about $100 away from Rouge. It pains me to spend anything above the Rouge limit (well, it pains me that I spend even close to the Rouge limit with how much I have, but that's another story)--I'd much rather save the purchases until the following year and start re-accruing credit for Rouge when the calendar year restarts. But Sephora is also going to have the great Blitz bags and carries a lot of my brands. Buuut Ulta has the 20% now and if Black Friday (Cyber Monday?) is like last year, will have the 10x point day. AHH so many things to consider!

I think I need to make a paper-based list a la some of our fine thread participants to really sort through what to buy where (and when!). A combination of trying to convince myself to wait on purchases and also trying to maximize my money spent!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ugh, my plan keeps changing! But I am being fairly successful with removing things as I add as well. Here is my revised holiday purchases list:

• Either the Urban Decay Full Frontal mini lippies set OR a Bite Beauty set. As of right now, all I've seen that Bite is releasing is the lip pencils. If that is all they are releasing, I'll get the UD instead (the lip pencils don't interest me as much). But if they do come out with a lipstick set, I may get that instead of Full Frontal, depending on colors and price point. I've talked myself out of the UD set. I know in reality I won't wear some of the more vibrant colors enough to justify purchasing them, and I already have a clear lip liner. I'm better off getting a full-sized UD lippie in another color I want to try than getting this set (but I don't think I'm going to do that now). I AM however very interested in seeing what Bite Beauty puts out. Right now there are a couple of minis that I have my eye on, but if the release a bigger set that is not lip crayons I will probably be all over that!
  • I *think* I'm going to get the Too Faced Melted Kisses set during the Sephora 20% off promo. I'm guessing that I will only want to try/use the two lighter colors in the kit, which would normally make this a bad buy, but I'm hoping that I'll get a Secret Santee that likes dark lippies or wants to try TF Melteds! Seeing this go out of stock made me totally panic and realize I didn't want to pass this up! Luckily it is available at Ulta now, and I have my 20% off coupon. So the plan is to purchase that this week. I'll try out the two lighter colors first and see if I like the formula. If I do, I will probably keep the darker ones too, but if not, to my Secret Santee or trade they go!
  • The Tarte mini $10 set with a blush and a cheek highlight. This will fulfill my Tarte blush craving (lusting after this year's palette, like I mentioned!) for much less money! I'm going to pass on this for now...I think. The highlighter looks too dark for me. 
  • Stila In the Know eyeshadow palette. I know this isn't a holiday item, but I heard they might be discontinuing this and I've wanted it forever. I ended up liking this more than any of the eyeshadow palettes I've seen from the holiday season, so I figured why not get this instead? I'm hoping it comes back in stock on Birchbox so I can get it with points! AHHH I can't find this palette anywhere!!! I am panicking I missed it and it won't be restocked anywhere. Sephora still has it listed on its site, and it has gone in and out of stock from there before, so I'm hoping it comes back there! And Nordstrom has it listed as a delayed shipping. 
  • I MIGHT end up getting one other thing--there is a Bare Minerals set for $22 that I might get from Ulta. It includes a Ready eyeshadow duo (one of my favorite formulas) and a mineral veil, both products I know I like and will use. But I'm going see how I'm feeling about staying on budget and then decide. 
  • Edited to add: I also plan to make a not-small Lush haul, so I probably should be accounting for that on my lists! And maybe a small indie (HoG) scents purchase before the end of the year. 

For the most part, my "stock up" list (things I know I'll use like my favorite mascara or a good value skincare set) is still the same, so I won't repost that. However, I do have some other skincare stuff that I am almoooost done with and really need to order a new one for...but I'm trying to wait for deals!

One more thought--

I'm annoyed that I have an Ulta coupon right now, but that a lot of the brands I'm planning on purchasing (L'Occitane, Ole Henriksen, etc.) aren't available there! I'm trying to limit what I buy at Sephora also because I'm about $100 away from Rouge. It pains me to spend anything above the Rouge limit (well, it pains me that I spend even close to the Rouge limit with how much I have, but that's another story)--I'd much rather save the purchases until the following year and start re-accruing credit for Rouge when the calendar year restarts. But Sephora is also going to have the great Blitz bags and carries a lot of my brands. Buuut Ulta has the 20% now and if Black Friday (Cyber Monday?) is like last year, will have the 10x point day. AHH so many things to consider!

I think I need to make a paper-based list a la some of our fine thread participants to really sort through what to buy where (and when!). A combination of trying to convince myself to wait on purchases and also trying to maximize my money spent!
Another update! I ended up:

Removing the Too Faced Melted set from my to-buy list too. I realized I have been going a bit overboard with lip products lately, and I don't even know if I like this formula yet! I think my plan will be instead to try it in store, and then if I like it I can put a full size one on my list to purchase next year. For now, I have enough.

I've also decided to pass on the Bare Minerals set for now. I added it to my Elfster list--I figured it was something I would like to have, but not something I need by any stretch of the imagination.

I did end up finding the Stila palette in stock at Sephora and bought it. I know I have way too much eyeshadow as is, but this was a worth-it purchase to me. I've coveted this palette for a long time and it is likely being discontinued!

That means on my remaining "to purchase" list is: some Bite Beauty products (I think I will get a couple of the $12 minis, unless there is a bigger lipstick set yet to come), Lush Christmas haul, HoG Yule haul, and the "stock up" on my favorite items while there are deal sets (L'Occitane, Ole Henriksen, etc.). I'll be please with myself if I stick to that list!!

@ that looks like a really good plan! 

My boyfriend asked me yesterday if I think I can do a no-buy for 2015.  He saw me rearranging my stash and I was so frustrated.  I am actually considering it. Even with just purchasing replacements for my Clinique skin care, his Mario Badescu skin care, and other staple items I should still be able to hit VIB at Sephora and Platinum at Ulta. 

My boyfriend asked me yesterday if I think I can do a no-buy for 2015.  He saw me rearranging my stash and I was so frustrated.  I am actually considering it. Even with just purchasing replacements for my Clinique skin care, his Mario Badescu skin care, and other staple items I should still be able to hit VIB at Sephora and Platinum at Ulta. 
If you decide to do a no-buy for the year, let me know! I really need to do something as hardcore as that and it would definitely help to have support from someone who's in the same boat.

If you decide to do a no-buy for the year, let me know! I really need to do something as hardcore as that and it would definitely help to have support from someone who's in the same boat.
I would be interested in this too!! Probably not as strict one for a full year, but I've been thinking I'll do maybe a 6 purchases for 6 months thing? Maybe around Black Friday time you should start a planning thread!

I would be interested in this too!! Probably not as strict one for a full year, but I've been thinking I'll do maybe a 6 purchases for 6 months thing? Maybe around Black Friday time you should start a planning thread!
Maybe something like replacements only, but replacements are allowed to be upgrades?

Hi everyone  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I would love to join in if you're doing a No Buy/Low Buy for 2015.

Maybe something like replacements only, but replacements are allowed to be upgrades?
Great idea! I was thinking of doing a No Buy/Low Buy every other month, something like this:

Jan - Low Buy

Feb - No Buy

March - Low Buy

April - No Buy

May - Low Buy

June - No Buy

July - Low Buy

Aug - No Buy

Sept - Low Buy

Oct - No Buy

Nov - Low Buy

Dec - No Buy

On the Low Buy months I would re-stock on replacements of my essentials and maybe buy one or two other items I've been eyeing. Also, I think I'm going to put a spending cap on each Low Buy month. This way I feel like I still get to shop but just make smarter choices along the way. If I'm eyeing something lets's say in June I would have a whole month to really think about whether I really want it, so it won't be an impulse buy.

What do you all think?  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am doing something like this.

For example lip items I need to finish three in order to buy 1 and it has to be something nice I will use up.

Blush is something else I am not allowed to buy on its own until I finish 1 up. Mascara I am just not allowed to buy, not for several years. I have enough in my stash to last that long and samples come along regularly. Even if I throw out some that I just don't end up liking I have too much.

I am doing something like this.

For example lip items I need to finish three in order to buy 1 and it has to be something nice I will use up.

Blush is something else I am not allowed to buy on its own until I finish 1 up. Mascara I am just not allowed to buy, not for several years. I have enough in my stash to last that long and samples come along regularly. Even if I throw out some that I just don't end up liking I have too much.
I hear you on the mascara. I have 23 full size and 21 deluxe size... enough to last me for a few years for sure.  :blink:  

[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

Hi everyone  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I would love to join in if you're doing a No Buy/Low Buy for 2015.

Great idea! I was thinking of doing a No Buy/Low Buy every other month, something like this:

Jan - Low Buy

Feb - No Buy

March - Low Buy

April - No Buy

May - Low Buy

June - No Buy

July - Low Buy

Aug - No Buy

Sept - Low Buy

Oct - No Buy

Nov - Low Buy

Dec - No Buy

On the Low Buy months I would re-stock on replacements of my essentials and maybe buy one or two other items I've been eyeing. Also, I think I'm going to put a spending cap on each Low Buy month. This way I feel like I still get to shop but just make smarter choices along the way. If I'm eyeing something lets's say in June I would have a whole month to really think about whether I really want it, so it won't be an impulse buy.

What do you all think?  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I love that idea! I'm sure some people can pull off a no-buy that lasts an entire year, but I don't think I can and I'm trying to be realistic with myself. I think I might try to not buy anything else for the rest of the year (it's only two months) and then start flip-flopping between no-buy and low-buy come January. Would a thread devoted solely to people who want to do this for the entire year be useful/helpful?

I love that idea! I'm sure some people can pull off a no-buy that lasts an entire year, but I don't think I can and I'm trying to be realistic with myself. I think I might try to not buy anything else for the rest of the year (it's only two months) and then start flip-flopping between no-buy and low-buy come January. Would a thread devoted solely to people who want to do this for the entire year be useful/helpful?
Closer to the end of the year we should definitely start a thread! Support, motivation, accountability and general chat throughout the year would be great to have.

Great idea! I was thinking of doing a No Buy/Low Buy every other month,

Yes to you both! I love the idea of flip-flopping between no-buy and low-buy months. I also like the spending cap idea for low buy months. What did you have in mind? $50 or $25 or something even smaller?

I will make December of this year my first no-buy month, January will be low-buy, then February and March will both be no-buy until April

chic week 15% off
, which will be a low-buy. And so on.

Can't wait until we can start planning this. We should definitely do an annual check-up thread at the end of the year, and a new annual 2015 goal thread soon.

-------

Is anyone else still waffling about their holiday purchases?

I'm being such a dope! I did buy a few things but am still having issues with my list. The trouble is I am letting the

VIB 20% off sale
kind of talk me into getting more than I probably should. I mean.... I have had all this stuff on my list since the beginning of October, maybe even longer, but I still don't know if I should really go for it all.

I guess .... I guess I need to go to Sephora in person and test out a few things to help me decide.....

I'm in for the no/low buy in 2015. I'm going to allow a purchase each quarter. Although in the past two years of purging, when I did allow myself to buy something, I still ended up disappointed in the products. I think it's because I still have a stash of stuff still on my mind so I can't enjoy the new stuff.

Since I already bought a Laura Mercier palette as my Christmas gift from my family, I am doing a no buy for Nov, Dec, and Jan so that I can enjoy it.

After seeing the Lancome Holiday purchase with purchase (in cool) it includes my favourite makeup remover and mascara so I can't decide if this is something I should proceed with or not though the price IS really good.  The Lancome Artliner & concealer are some of my favourite products of all so I am in a perpetual state of using and replenishing.  Decisions... Decisions...

I think its smartest to wait until early 2015 to see what Bare Minerals has on sale though they have some lovely holiday items!!!

I just wanted to say that so far I've not been tempted by any of the Black Friday deals, and I think I'll maybe keep one eye out for anything I might use

particularly from: First Aid Beauty, LaVanila, Bite, Tarte, Murad, Butter London, Supergoop, BareMinerals, Hourglass, Josie Maran, Bumble and bumble, Anastasia, Dr. Dennis Gross mainly,
but I'm thinking I'll probably just end up getting some things during the

$ off
sale for my final buy of the season. I still have some credit on a gift card, so that'd be best to do anyway, even though I'd love to make an order online and receive some nice promotions since I'm Rouge now.

Mainly I'm trying to think about birthday and Christmas presents for my family and friends.... I'm never good at picking out gifts!

ETA: I'm banning myself from reading the Enablers thread. Haha, I think that's not really an accomplishment or worth mentioning because I guess it should be a pre-req for even being on a  low/no buy, but hey, hahaha, I have to tell myself that.

I decided to go back to school for nursing in August which means I am trying to pay my car off early. I was doing so good for awhile (paid $3000 towards my car in a month and a half) UNTIL all the new holiday stuff started popping up. I am truly too embarrassed to post what I have bought this year...it's a lot.

My plan for 2015 is not to buy anything until my car is PAID OFF. I don't have too much more to go but every time I think about buying makeup, that I will hardly use, I need to think about my future and the career that I will have in the future. My future is so much more important than a shiny new palette that I have no place to store.

Even after I get my car paid off I still need to cut waaaaay back on buying. My collection is ridiculous. 

Back