Home-made Primer

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The primer I was talking about was an eyeprimer. I couldnt find the exact recipe but when I did it, it went something like this.

Boil 1 cup of water (you won't need this much but its hard to boil 5 grams lol)

Melt an unflavored lip balm in the microwave. This will take 3-4 minutes, make sure its in a microwave safe container. if you scoop it out or break it it doesnt matter, it will melt.

after the balm is melted, put .5 grams of a pure pigment (a MMU pigment sample will work) and mix it throughout the melted balm. scoop up the balm with a nice and put it in your final container (plastic or glass, dont think it matters) then pour the hot hot water to the top of that container.

The key is to do it fast so the balm doesnt harden before you add the water. Anyway, when you add the water, some of it will attatch to the balm, some of it will not. Pour out the water that doesnt attach.

Try at your own risk, the quality depends greatly on the lip balm quality. I'll try to find some more info on the balm.

once again, this is an eyeprimer.

For face, i'd go with the monistat, cause it has dimethicones or w/e

Iv actually tried using a capstick the other night, just because i figured its something for the shadow to stick to.

Regarding the primer, i dont think il bother for one for my face at the mo.I actually had a Glycolic facial yesterday and although its not a massive difference I really noticed the difference this morning pores looks cleaner and not as big and my skin is so soft, so think il be having these regular instead plus it was so so relaxing lol

Thanks for all you help and at least iv now found a cheap e/s primer

Ditto on monistat and Avon. The thing I like about the Avon primer is, it's SPF 20! Every bit of sunscreen helps! I also like the texture of it. Personally I like it better than Smashbox, and I love all of Smashbox products. To me Avon is worth a try!

Hun, that's not being cheap, it called being resourceful! I've never tried the Monistat, but I'm pretty sure it works if the girls are swearing by it. Good luck!

Originally Posted by coke /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm not a fan of most primers because they dont give you enough in the container for your money.
I've used an all-natural lip balm (it wasnt sticky) and it worked just like UDPP. :shrug: I don't really know if it's supposed to. It was one of those super-natural products with just a few ingredients. Forgot where I got it from though.

Sometimes I just moisturize my eye area with a cream and it makes the colors adhere better.

OMG. I tried using lip balm for a primer just now, and woah. It works VERY well.

Originally Posted by Rotting Beauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif OMG. I tried using lip balm for a primer just now, and woah. It works VERY well. Here's an all natural primer that I use now, I just got it and I love it. It's like balm but tackier so it holds the eyeshadow longer, and i dont have to deal with the wierd lip balm smells:Cuberry SuperPrime! Lash Primer & Eyeshadow Primer | All Natural Cosmetics

So I guess I'm not gonna re-order UDPP. Got a better cheaper alternative =]

I found that putting contact solution on your eyes before applying shadow works great too. When I wear bright colors it makes them pop more. Put some on my finger rub it lightly over my eye then brush the shadow on.

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif Monistat Chafing Relief Gel. It's what I use, and many people use it and love it. It's $7 or less, and you can find it at any drugstore. There is a sticky dedicated to it, because it is so popular. It's found by the yeast infection creams, even though it isn't for that purpose.
http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/139254/300.jpg

I use this too. Great cheap alternative to bigger brands and works great.

I read that aloe gel's supposed to be a good primer, but it didn't work out for me. The foundation balled up on my face.

BUT it could be cuz I went cheap and got the one at CVS instead of an all natural one...

Actually, My first home made primer was karitè butter... but it dosen't work on me, the second was one of the most famous (mixing medium home made with glycerin) but it irritating my skin and my eyelied.

Sooo... the last but not least Aloe Vera gel! My skin is very oily (I've a pro acne skin) aloe vera works very good on my eyelied and on my skin! I'm using always as a foundation mineral foundation by trucco minerale is an italian brand the best one in It for mineral makeup is comparable with bare minerals in Us! And the makeup remain on my skin all day... with my mosturize cream makeup remain on my skin for 3 hours max

What I'm doing? wash my face and applied aloe vera gel on my all face and on my eyelied. I take 1 dorp of jojoba oil and i mosturized the part of my skin very dry an then I applied my makeup as usal.

monistat works great for face primer, glycerin and water mixture i use for dipping my eyeshadow brushes, some ppl use this as an alternative for mac fix plus but i personally dont like the way it feels on my face. i use a home made mix for my eyelids..foundation and moisturizer, i cant use udpp cuz it dries my eyes out.

Coastal Scents: Silicone Oil - 4 oz bottle

CS silicone oil has many good reviews as being a good face primer. It's inexpensive. Monistat is what i use and I love it. You really need a silicone based product to make a good primer. If you read the ingredients of EVERY primer made, they will contain silicone. You will need a primer or make a primer that has silicone to be effective.

SO glad I stumbled upon this thread!!! I definitely don't trust myself to make my own primer, but I am going tomorrow after I drop my daughter off at preschool to pick up some of the monistat! Thanks for being so willing to share your secret ladies 
claps.gif

Silicone oil turned out to be very irritating to my face... bad bad bad :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Monistat is still going great after 2 years!!!

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Coastal Scents: Silicone Oil - 4 oz bottleCS silicone oil has many good reviews as being a good face primer. It's inexpensive. Monistat is what i use and I love it. You really need a silicone based product to make a good primer. If you read the ingredients of EVERY primer made, they will contain silicone. You will need a primer or make a primer that has silicone to be effective.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure some aloe gel formulas absorb better than others and don't ball... I've bought a few and the first cheap one I bought (Jason) was bad for balling up. I'd also use less product though to prevent this from happening.

You definitely don't need to use a silicone based primer. Silicone can be extremely irritating for some people, AND has the extra bonus of often causing people with acne prone skin to break out constàntly. Nothing with silicone in it can touch my face. It creates an utter nightmare for me. Silicone creatês an occlusive barrier, making it impossible for your skin to breathe or remove toxins the way it's naturally designed to do so. This can mean clogged, infected pores, cystic acne, rashes, allergic reactions, lumpy skin, rosacea, etc. I fail to understand why women think applying silicone topically is ok when it's very toxic and can kill in the case of ruptured breast implants leaking into our tissues, or god forbid, direct silicone injections. Whatever toxins we put on our faces/skin also get absorbed into our bloodstream. PrÄ«mer sits on the face all day, suffocating the skin, decreasing our body's nàtural ability to detoxify. Yet the vast majority of people are freaking out about parabens, which we orally ingest on a daily basis even when eating natural, fresh fruits. Makes no sense to me at all. It's impossible to avoid all toxins, but the more we can, the better. Monave makes an Oil Control Humectant, which is excellent. It also doubles as a good moisturizing base under liquid or mineral makeup. No balling up. I use it now and have been for several months now. It has caused zero breakouts for me. I also mixed together my own aloe gel based 'primer' with additional ingredÄ«ents which balance oil production, but not using the aloe-junk in the stores which have added chemicals, synthetic coloring, etc. I buy it wholesale from the US. It has many uses, this being one of them. And it's completely non irritating. Mixed with the right ingredients, you wont have it balling up when applying your foundation, and ÿou'll have some decent oil control as well. Not to mention the fact that it's healing to the skin and allows it to breathe and remove waste properly. Using silicone is like wrapping your face in plastic wrap. I doubt many women would willingly do that bc they know it wouldn't be healthy for the skin. I have also on occasion applied a light coat of SILICA, completely different stuff, pressing it into my damp face with a thin sponge after I've misted my face with my own mixture of misting/setting spray and that can also work decently. Just use a light coating where you need it and lightly dust off any visible excess with a soft, fluffy brush once your face has dried, which is just a few seÄonds. It absorbs oil whether you use it under or over your makeup, wÄ«thout causing the above-mentioned common skin reactions associateÄ‘ with silicone. But I still find my own gel product and Monave's OCĤ work best on my oily skin. And those blue blotting sheets are indispensable for use throughout the day. Somebody else also mentioned jojoba oil, which naturally balances oil production. It's actually a liquid wax, which is very similar to the skin's own sebum. Stands to reason that when using pure ĵojoba, your skin is going to tell your brain 'I don't need so much sebum/oil here, thanks', which is going to decrease oil production naturally.

Definately don't think it's cheap to make your own things, it's a great to find natural alternative's to what's on the market. A lot of cosmetics company's use very cheap ingredients so having a little look around at what you make yourself could potentially give you an excellent base. There's lots of site's now with advice on ingredients to use that don't contain harmful things so I'd go for it! Personally I'd stay away form petroleum based oils & waxes. As a few have already said there's lots of natural lip balms out there that would make great primers, maybe ones with a carnuba wax base instead of beeswax would be good.

Back