How do I get this hair?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all! I just got my hair cut yesterday and the stylist razored my ends so I have layers all over and swoosh bangs. I really want to get the piecey-messy-spiky look...like in the pic below. I found one post about getting piecey hair, but I wasn't too sure if the same products work to get the spikiness. My hair's not super long anymore, like a little below shoulder length, so I'm hoping I can finally do this look...not as high as she has it, but you get the idea.
smile.gif

How do I do this hair? What products do I use, and would I need a straightening iron (even though my hair's already straight)?

Thank you all in advance!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Well...she's basically got a mohawk with sides. So...I'd say you need a flat-iron for the sides and a sculpting gel with a strong hold for the top and the piecey bits. I'm no expert though.

I have to say, I loved your long hair!

Originally Posted by Kathy /img/forum/go_quote.gif Well...she's basically got a mohawk with sides. So...I'd say you need a flat-iron for the sides and a sculpting gel with a strong hold for the top and the piecey bits. I'm no expert though.
I have to say, I loved your long hair!

I kinda miss my long hair too
frown.gif
...Even though my hair now isn't super short. I'm ready for a change for the new year though so I tried my best not to look at the falling hair as the stylist chopped away. LOL. Buh-bye hair, buh-bye baggage!!! I'm not really a superstitious person, but I felt like a new person with my new hair.
smile.gif

I just saw a Conair flat iron at Big Lots...I gotta go get that now...
smile.gif

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies!!! Any particular products you would suggest? I went to Longs the other day and saw this Garnier clay putty thing...then there was one that was just "clay"...LOL. I read the back and they were both pretty much for the piecey look, but I didn't know if it was going to work for the spikey-ness.

Please post a pic once you test the style out, I would love to see it. I bet you will look adorable.

Originally Posted by Bexy /img/forum/go_quote.gif Please post a pic once you test the style out, I would love to see it. I bet you will look adorable. Aww thanks, Bexy!! I hope so!! I'm getting the flat iron and the clay putty thing today.
smile.gif
Will post pics...I promise!

my best bet is the sides are straightened, the center though do not straighten it needs as much grip to stay up. prob teasd a little bit and the roots hair sprayed, and than a pomade of some sort on the ends cuase the tease part will stand up on its own but the ends will flop over with out that extra suport. The only other thing that could prob do that is aussie instant freeze (idk if they even still make this) but it will hold your hair like that for like ever

Originally Posted by Orangeeyecrayon /img/forum/go_quote.gif my best bet is the sides are straightened, the center though do not straighten it needs as much grip to stay up. prob teasd a little bit and the roots hair sprayed, and than a pomade of some sort on the ends cuase the tease part will stand up on its own but the ends will flop over with out that extra suport. The only other thing that could prob do that is aussie instant freeze (idk if they even still make this) but it will hold your hair like that for like ever OOoo, a pomade!! You're right! I gotta check online about that aussie instant freeze.
smile.gif

So I haven't bought the flat iron yet...should I get a wider one, or one of those thin ones? I don't really care about the strength of the flat iron, because my hair's already straight...I just want that extra straightness...LOL. I kinda want to try the flicked out style too, which I know you can do with certain flat irons.

My son has spikey hair, and he uses got2be, glued. I think it's called. It really holds. It is made for the spiked look, i think that's what the bottle says.

i would say go with the thin iron, cause it works better on shorter hairs, and bangs and since you also can do flat iron curls with it. basicly it just gives you more options.

You would definitely need some stiff styling pomade, got2be glued I have heard is really good. Probably dry it upside down while applying the pomade to it and tease it, then straighten the sides. I'd love to see a before and after pic.
smile.gif

my mom has short hair so if you put some product in it like sculpting mud or

pomade and making spikes is easy with a flat iron

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies!
smile.gif
I didn't know where to start to get this look. Anyway, I finally went and got me the straightening iron I was eyeing-- it's a Remington...the one that's not that wide. I also bought got2b glued--I was surprised to find this in Big Lots!

One question--do I put the got2b glued on hair and then use the flat iron on the hair with the product on it? I'm ok with a bit of damage...LOL. Hair grows out. I just don't want to burn my hair.
smile.gif

if you are woried about hurting your hair i would get some sort of product specificly for the iron though it is not nessecary.

i would def not iron once the product is in, for the sole reason that usually styling gels and stuff like that leave residue on the plate of straightning iron that is not only hard to remove but makes it extreamly difficult to straighten your hair

Originally Posted by Orangeeyecrayon /img/forum/go_quote.gif if you are woried about hurting your hair i would get some sort of product specificly for the iron though it is not nessecary.i would def not iron once the product is in, for the sole reason that usually styling gels and stuff like that leave residue on the plate of straightning iron that is not only hard to remove but makes it extreamly difficult to straighten your hair

You're so right. I did that with my curling irons...haha. And I fried my hair in the process.
smile.gif
Hopefully the flat iron can help me get this hairstyle.
smile.gif

good luck I think that look is really hot and trendy. Post a pic if you can once you get it all together.

Use got2b freeze shine spray!

That stuff works miracles! Seriously. I tease my hair super huge and use that and my hair withstanded a rainy day AND a concert!! Haha. I also recommend Bedhead's Manipulator, thats awesome too.

Latest posts

Back