How often do you clean your make-up brushes?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really bad about cleaning mine. I really need to clean my brushes more often. What is the best cleanser to use? I've tried a brush cleanser before and it wasn't that good. I've also tried mild baby washes. Just curios as to what cleansers everyone is using?

I hate using a dirty brush as it's much harder to blend in my foundation so I wash my about every two or three days. It doesn't take long. Just a little soap rinse and it's clean :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I clean mine once a week with a light shampoo soak and rinse. Please remember to never share your makeup brushes, especially eye brushes. Also, try not to soak the area where the brush meets the neck. This is where the glue is and sometimes may loosen the bristles when you soak or wash with warm water or detergents. 

I think it depends on which brushes you mean. I was concealer, foundation, primer (anything that's not a powder) about every week because they start to get caked up.

Others it depends on how they look and how much powder has remained on the brush after each use.

According to the article the makeup brushes should be cleaned once weekly, but I am use them not often, so just once two weeks. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a client for a boudoir shoot last week, and she wanted me to use her brushes, (she assumed that I didn't have clean brushes or that I used the same brushes on different people). When I saw her brushes, still full of pigment, I told her absolutely not as her brushes will contaminate my make-up. She had a confused look on her face, then I did the whole schpeel to her  :rolleyes: Then I continued with her application.

I wash my brushes after each use.  Yes it is a pain but it cuts down on breakouts so is a must for me.  Another reason I don't reuse brushes is that I hate to mix colors and dampen the color payoff!  I want to see the colors I apply to my face/eyes/lips and not a mix of two or three or more.   I do have brushes that I use to blend colors on my face and eyes but they are used only for that goal. 

I have enough brushes that I don't need to wash them daily but when it comes time to doing it it takes me about 15 mins to really get the water to run clean (that is my singal to know I did them correctly).  After washing I hang them upside down on my makeup brush dryer thinigie and let them completely dry before storing them away for next use.  Can you tell I'm OCD? :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have tried those alcohol sprays but I'm so anal they never feel like they are clean enough so I revert back to hand washing.  Plus I noticed using the sprays makes me break out. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Not all of my brushes are expensive brushes.  I do a mix of high and low end brushes because I am interested in their performance. I knew I wanted to I invest in nice brushes at an early age so I took care of them as best as I could so they would last me a long long time.  Some of my oldest and best brushes are from when I was a teenager (and I'm in my mid thirties now).  They still work great and I wish I was smarter and had bought more of them because some of the ones made today are not as well put together.  :wub:

Back