How to Apply Makeup Primer

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's really bad luck for you, have you identified the culprit ingredient?

It's also a problem of quantity imo, i know when i bought my MAC primer the saleslady told me to use one pump, i use a little more as i also apply a light coat of foundation on my neck. I once applied more primer, and it had the opposite result. Nowadays i just know how much i have to use, and it does help my foundation stay on longer.

I also haven't noticed more irritation or breakout when using my primers.

The 'culprit' for me is silicone, of any type. I avoid them like the plague, including in my moisturizer and foundations whenever humanly possible.

Off to the mall in the US to see what kind of deals I can pick up there....on makeup, of course haha :)

Lora makes a primer that contains no silicone and is parabin (sp?) free.

Originally Posted by satojoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The 'culprit' for me is silicone, of any type. I avoid them like the plague, including in my moisturizer and foundations whenever humanly possible.

Off to the mall in the US to see what kind of deals I can pick up there....on makeup, of course haha :)

Originally Posted by janetgriselle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I use Smashbox's Light Photo Finish too! I have really oily skin, and after the great reviews it got from Allure, I just had to try it, and even though it was $36, it was totally worth every dollar I spent. I wouldn't use anything else. I can't believe I ever put on makeup without primer!

Has anyone tried a lip primer? Should I be using one?

I also use Smashbox's photo finish primer in Light.  I'm not yet in the habit of using it daily.  I've only used it a handful of times thus far.  I got the 2oz for $25! I got a killer deal!  I know it doesn't actually make your pores smaller, but I do believe that it does make them appear smaller.  I also have pore minimizers that make my pores appear smaller, too, that I use when I remember.  I mainly use it on my tzone and cheek area.  I have MAC's Prep and Prime with SPF50 to try still.  Anyone have good luck with MAC's?

As for lip primers, I'm not exactly sold on them.  I've tried MAC's lip primer and it just feels like I put on a lip gloss first.  When I tried Too Faced Lip primer, it totally dries your lips out and makes them so they don't even wrinkle or crease or anything.  It's like your lips are glued in place. I'm doing a horrible job explaining this.  It feels really dry and like your lips turn to glass.  Afraid they may shatter! lol So I'm not sold on them.  Can't tell you if it kept my lip products on longer or better or not b/c I was at Xmas parties and such and wasn't worried about checking on my makeup and reapplying with family around.  So, just by the feel of the products on my lips, I'm not sold.  But I'll have to try it again when I can monitor the wear of the lip products. 

I use Urban Decay's pore perfecting primer potion and it's only ok. It's the only one I've tried so far, and I'm almost done with my bottle. I'm thinking it's time to try something new. I was wondering if it feels sort of waxy to anyone else? Maybe they're all like this...who knows?! lol I can tell a big difference with my makeup though. My bottle of foundation is lasting me so much longer than it did before, too! Overall, I recommend using a primer, and haven't really noticed a significant increase in breakouts either. 

Originally Posted by me0wmix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you for posting these tips. I'm waiting for my UDPP shipment right now, and this will be my first time using a primer of any sort so you've given me a bit to work from. I mean, I'm gonna want to get the most out of this product for how much it cost!
good choice with the UD Primer Potion, I love it.  As for the cost, a little will go a looooong way (it only takes a drop the size of a pin head to do both eyelids) so one tube will last you a very long time
icon_eek.gif

Back