How to Clean & Care for Make-Up Brushes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The problem with using an oil on your brushes is that over time it WILL build up. I rather spend $5 on an 8 oz bottle of Mona Lisa's Pink Soap (which lasts me about six to eight months) because it does a fantastic job.
Can you find this in craft stores? I think I've seen it there but I can't remember.

I lightly spritz mine with brush cleaner after each use and gently wash them in warm water and baby shampoo once a week. If it is a brush I don't always use then I only wash them once every couple of weeks. I haven't had a problem with bacteria, odors or shedding on any of my brushes.

I had a few problems in the past with brush cleaners that irritated my skin. They were leaving some sort of residue that my skin did not like at all. Surprisingly the ELF brush cleaner doesn't irritate my skin and it's $3. Yay for cheap.

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The problem with using an oil on your brushes is that over time it WILL build up. I rather spend $5 on an 8 oz bottle of Mona Lisa's Pink Soap (which lasts me about six to eight months) because it does a fantastic job.
Can you find this in craft stores? I think I've seen it there but I can't remember.

Yes. I buy mine at Hobby Lobby using a 40% or 50% coupon or at Michael's using their 40% off coupon. I want to say that SOME Walmarts USE to carry it and so some MIGHT still carry it.

I love some clean brushes in fact I might have a little OCD about about it.

The dry cleaning formulas are good for removing powder products and nothing else, these would be any of the products that say dip, wipe, and dry.

To clean and condition Mona Lisa pink soap love, love, love this stuff, craft stores and artists supply stores.

My other go to that removes everything and conditions The Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver, this will also help to restore and maintain shape.

To sanitize sunlight or a uv sanatizer for 30 to 40 min.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes. I buy mine at Hobby Lobby using a 40% or 50% coupon or at Michael's using their 40% off coupon. I want to say that SOME Walmarts USE to carry it and so some MIGHT still carry it.
Awesome. That coupon is the first thing I thought of too lol. That's usually the only reason I go there to begin with despite their cheap prices. If I can save I'm determined to save lol.

I bought the Mona Lisa Pink Soap today and I can't wait to use it after class tonight. I already love the smell.

hello, i didnt read through all of these so idk if its been said, if not it may sound weird.

but i mix extra virgin olive oil and dawn dish washing liquid. the dishwashing liquid alone will strip your brushes and ruin them, which is where the olive oil comes it, itll condition them and make them stronger and last. just pour alittle of both in a bowl and swirl your brush around in it, dont mash the brushes down, and then wipe your brush back and forth on your hand  and make sure you rinse them very well and after they are clean and rinsed off gently squeeze excess water out with a paper towel and make sure the bristles are standing up, if you dont have any get some brush guards, i got a pack with many sizes at walmart for $5, and store your brushes UPSIDE DOWN in a cup so that any excess water will drain out of the brush instead of into the handle where it can loosen up your bristle and make them shed even more. it may sound weird but it does work but like i said use the liquid and olive oil sparingly.  

I use 91% alcohol for spot cleaning all my brushes.  I deep clean shampoo my brushes that aren't synthetic once a week or so with any shampoo, even Dawn.  

I don't find that my synthetics need a deep cleaning if they are spot cleaned with the 91%.    I use my synthetics more than my real hair brushes, too, so any deep cleaning I do is mostly on my real-hair brushes I use if I get on a mineral make-up kick.  Which is pretty rarely.  But real-hair applies mineral make-up better than synthetic brushes do in my experience.

I usually just use baby shampoo and I don't mind the drying time -- if I wash them before I go to bed, they're usually all dry when I wake up and get ready again. 

Back