How to keep natural curls/waves?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow this is an old thread! My hair is naturally fairly curly (big, loose spirals) and I've tried almost all of these methods.

I did CG for a year and my hair was the nicest it had been in my entire life. Unfortunately I never used any low-poos or clarifying conditioners, so my hair was really weighed down by buildup. I also have crazy dandruff issues- my hair looked great but I had flakes all the time.

Washing it at night has never worked for me, it makes my curls get really crazy and tangly, and it's impossible to straighten/tame my bangs. Throwing it up in a bun just makes my hair look uneven and messy when I take it down,  I'm talking straight hair in my bottom layer, really loose tangly curls in my middle layers, and super weird tight curly in my top layer.

Braiding it while wet just gives me really ugly flat waves.

SO I would recommend trying CG, just make sure you use a gentle clarifying shampoo. Let your hair dry naturally if you have the time. Never brush, unless you're using a boar bristle brush (which should only be used for cleaning the dirt and dust out, not just because you want to brush out your hair.) Always use your fingers or a wide-toothed comb to detangle! Hope that helps :]

I rarely ever dry my hair anymore, but when I do use a blow dryer, I first blot my hair with a towel, spray in my leave in conditioning mist - Ojon - then blow it out til damp. Then I roll it up in a sock bun while still damp & warm, then leave it overnight. The next day I just unroll the sock bun, run my fingers through it, and get gorgeous waves that last far far longer than with a curling iron or any other heat tool. If it's a particularly wet or windy day, I leave my sock bun in til I get where I'm going - yes, it stays in all night - then unroll it & finger comb when I arrive at my destination. It takes seconds. This is the easiest & most foolproof way for me to get perfect waves every time. It requires no special products or conditioners, & uses a sock. Just use a mismatched sock that's similar to your hair color or go get a new pair from Dollar Tree. If you've got very thick hair I'd recommend using a knee high pantyhose to make the donut for the bun. If nobody knows WTH I'm talking about when referring to a 'sock bun' LOL do a search on YouTube. It's ridiculously easy & anybody can do it. You'll be amazed at the results. I definitely was with my fine, dry, color treated hair. Incidentally, you can skip tying your hair in a ponytail first if you want to avoid a crimp line in your hair. Or use those tiny silicone hair bands you can get at the Dollar Tree. 400 for $1. Use once & toss. This method of styling also saves your hair from heat damage & saves you a lot of money on totally unnecessary products. If you'd like your gorgeous waves to hold extra extra extra long, lightly mist your damp hair with some type of setting spray or spray gel immediately before rolling your hair up into your sock bun.

Yeah, I would say don't brush you hair so much. Take like a chunk of hair at a time and brush it around your hand.

Orrr do the vintage curls using a headband before bed. I do that all the time and it looks natural and pretty! It saves so

much time and is really easy to do. Just look it up on youtube.

Or, use curling iron. There are so many choices :)

I used to blow/dry and flat iron my hair all the time too until I realized the power of scrunching! I have naturally curly/wavy/frizzy hair, and whenever I air dried it, it looked terrible. So I decided to scrunch. Basically, I brush my hair after showering, apply a leave in conditioner and shine serum. Then I flip my hair upside down, and apply gel while scrunching my hair upward towards my scalp. I distribute evenly, then flip my hair back up, gently part it naturally to one side (you can pick whatever your natural part is), and then apply a touch more gel to both sides and the back while scrunching my hair to my scalp until it is to where I want it. I then let it air dry from there, and when it is completely dry, I scrunch mousse into my hair to get rid of any additional frizz. It's much easier (and healthier) for your hair to go natural when it comes to styling. Put down the flat iron, and join the natural side!

Back