how to remove downy (vellus) hair on face?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jill23

Did you have dark hair or white?  I have very fine white hair all over my face, chin, side of my face, and longer white under my chin.  It is so embarrassing and I avoid going outside. ;(  Do you think the Flash and Go would work for me?  Thanks for your help. 

I have that spring & I love it! I noticed a little bit of faint fine light hair & didn't want to do anything harsh, but I wanted it gone.

I ordered a Remington one from Amazon & it was pretty cheap.  It's super easy to use -there's a short learning curve on how to best hold & twist- but it's really quick to use & doesn't leave my face irritated.  It (like waxing) is pretty good at pulling hair out by the root so you don't have to do it very often.  It can pinch a bit, especially if you were to try and take a large area of hair out in one big twist but it's really not that bad, & it gets easier every time.  Since you're doing the twisting, you can control the exact speed and area you're going over to minimize pain.

It is a weird looking contraption though...

I am an experienced esthetician and I remove vellous hair with a process called dermaplaning.  Dermaplaning is a "shaving of sort" but it is done with a surgical blade and is only to be done by an experienced and specially trained professional medical esthetician, Physicians Assistant, Registered Nurse, or a Physician.  It is not something you can do yourself.  Vellous hair grows back in exactly as it was.  It takes from 4-6 weeks for you to notice that it's back.  We have two types of hair on our body.  Vellous hair which grows on the face, chest and back.  It's downy and soft and very visible when the light hits it.  Terminal hair, is the kind of hair that grows on our head, arms, legs, eyebrows, pubic area and on the lower half of mens faces.  Because terminal hair is coarser, when it is shaven, it will have a blunt edge to it, and therefore appears to be coarser when it grows in.   The NoNo is a very mild form of lasar hair removal.   From my experience, most clients are regretful with their purchase and never 100% satisfied because with most, the hair will grow back.  I don't support Nair or any other type of chemical depilatory.  In my experience the chemical hair removers are usually too strong and irritate the skin and doesn't remoce the hair.  The only real gaurantee is laser hair removal.  However, it does take several treatments (ranging from 6-10 sessions) and is very costly.  Even with laser hair emoval, I have encountered the situation where it does not remove 100% of hair.  Sometimes there are a few hairs that grow back in.  So if you're considering make sure you go to a reputable facility.  The best way to find a good place is to get a referral from someone who has good results, and can recommend from a good experience.  Hope this information helps. ~ Experienced pro

If you get waxed, you should only put aloe on afterwards. You can use a cold compress too if it's real red or stings. No salicylic acid

I have recently seen the same on my face. I am fair skinned and the hair or downy stuff is very pale. It is fine and I think it is because of my menopause. But it does also worry me. I plucked a lot of it out tonight and it is painless and my skin looks smoother. Maybe you have tried this also.

I am very fair and have a lot of villus hair on my face. I've tried plucking and the Bellabe, but the best thing to do is to shave. There is no stubble and only needs to be done once a month or so.

I use the flash n go too and while the hair is not completely gone yet it is growing in much slower and I am treating about once a month now. On my lower legs I am using it too but the progress has been much slower. Overall I am pleased with it. Gets you a ton of sephora points too lol

I was not successful in removing the peach fuzzy hair on my face with lazer as it only removes dark hair. Anyone have other success with lazer.

I shave off the vellus hair every week with a new razor. No stubble, it doesn't come back darker, makes makeup application so smooth :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It is easy to get rid of vellus hair on face, just shave it! No, you won't get stubble and not only does it remove the hair, but it takes off the top layer of dead skin and your face will feel smooth and soft. Use short strokes in the direction of the hair. As I got older the hair on my face, although downy, got thicker so I grabbed a razor and did the deed. The hair is gone and my skin looks great. I do it about once a week, but can go even longer without any noticeable growth. I can assure everyone that you won't get stubble and your skin will love you for it!

I shave it, it doesn't get stubbly since the hair is fine. My makeup looks better without the hairs, so even though I don't have much I shave it.

No, Plucking and waxing doesn't cause a change in the texture of hair. Not from my experience at least. You should go for waxing without any doubts.

If you are using waxing for your face then it can be a painful method for removing hairs. Also, your skin can produce scars after waxing. I would like to suggest to use painless method such as applying hair removal creams. Dermology hair removal cream is quite effective in removing facial hair. Before using it please do test on your skin. 

Back