How Young Is Too Young?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My parents never really said had an age for makeup. I'm 19 years old now, and my mom accepts the fact that I wear it, but does get annoyed sometimes about how often I can talk about it, lol. As for my father,  he kinda accepts it, but I guess he's kinda like "why do you wear it?" just 'cause I'm his daughter. He doesn't really see the point of me spending money on it.

Then again, my interest in makeup is fairly recent compared to some girls who start fairly early. I don't like to see some girls at 12-13 with a full face, but then I guess an interest is fine.  I've only really been interested maybe three years and I'd say built quite the collection so far :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The age do not understand anything,is too young...
flowers.gif

I had very little proper parental guidance in regards to anything, although my mother was psychotically strict til the day I no longer lived with her. I personally hate seeing girls that are 16 and under plastered with a full face of makeup. It looks tacky and like they are trying FAR too hard to attract male attention. Which most girls who are hetrosexual and around that age are trying to do. If I were to see a 13 year old girl at the NARS counter, I'd probably freak out.

I remember getting a small thing of blush from CG when I was in 7th grade and sometimes I would swipe it w/the brush that it came with on my cheeks.. but hardly ever.. That was pretty much my "makeup" till my sophomore year.. Then I went through this phase..  of wearing CG foundation.. the yucky liquid kind..  cheap black eyeshadow just smudged on w/the foamy applicator and black eyeliner pencil that never stayed in place.. I also loved using super glittery BUT not frosty.. I hated frosty, lipgloss.. ha ha ha I just remembered my other "phase"  they had those new Cream eyeshadows.. from Covergirl I think.. in what looked like now would be a lip gloss container w/the doe foot applicator.. lol I had the frosty blue one.. and would paint just my eyelids.. never really above the crease w/it and it alllllllllways creased on me..  I was bad w/makeup then.. I blame it on my mama.. She never ever ever wore makeup, so my sister and I had no one to teach us.. Actually to be honest, my sister who is a year younger than me, started wearing it way more than I did by like 2 yrs.

But I think the age should be well after 13.  Whenever they feel like they are ready.. IF I were to have a little girl... I would start teaching her makeup techniques early on.. so when the time comes for her to be allowed to wear makeup.. she would have no problem and not look like a retard like I did... Probably 16 would be the earliest I would allow.  She would actually.. probably be sneaking it off to school at 13 or 14 if she was like her mama when it came to listening to rules.

Personally I'm of the opinion that anyone under the age to be "legal" (aka 18 or at the very least 16) should not be wearing make-up publicly. I think for someone that young it's ok to wear make-up with dressing up and slumber parties where you make over your friends but to be quite honest I think that anyone under the age of 16 is too young. This is just a personal opinion though.

It all depends on the environment that one was brought up. My Mom was a "call gal" and therefore I used makeup quite easily and early. My younger sister used to wear makeup when she was just two. If you come from an upright family with a father and mother maybe it could have taken long due to the "rules".

To those who say that younger people (12, 13, 14) don't apply makeup well, that's a total generalization. I know 12 year olds who do amazing makeup, and they do it tastefully. I also know 12 year olds who look extremely trashy because of the makeup they wear. It really just depends.

I don't know any twelve year olds, makeup or otherwise, but when I was about 13 I started getting hyperpigmented spots on my nose and that was when I started wearing makeup.  I wore concealer and foundation.  I started doing brows and eye makeup to complete a full face at around 15, but I always liked a lighter look rather than cakeface or racoon eyes.

What an interesting topic, I had fun reading all your opinions and stories :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I was the very last girl in my class who started wearing make up. All other girls wore it since the 5th or 6th grade and I started wearing it in the 7th or 8th grade, because I felt like I had to. I thought I'd be uncool if I wouldn't do it.

But I had no idea and my Mom wasn't into make up very much. So I thought that everybody was wearing black mascara and I wanted to be different so I got a green mascara and lemon green eye shadow. I wasn't into make up at all, I hated standing up early and I still hate applying mascara xD. And after a few weeks a friend told me that green looked stupid an me, so I quit and thought that make up was stupid.

My little sister turned 12 last month and I was so excited that she was wearing lip gloss. I think it is cute. I think it is normal to experience make up step by step between the 5th and 7th grade. I even like the "look" so many wear, with huge black bolds around their eyes, because I think that this is the typical teenager look. And I think it is ok, they make their experiences as we all did.

Besides my little sister has very dark eyebrows and I would loved to plug them into shape :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Of course she is still a child but I also see a young teenager and she thinks that she is growing up, why not treat her like that then?

I think that there are no rules when it comes to make up, but I feel a bit sad when I see a full face make up on teenagers. Sad and somehow impressed when it looks really good.

I was thirteen when I got my first mascara and I only wore that to school for a year. I had also collected a few eyeshadows, eyeliners and lipstains for my synchro competitions during the year. So I am in high school now and only wear mascara, concealer, and one shade of rather neutral eyeshadow. Also the occasional sparkly lip gloss can be seen on me. For dances and night occasions, I would turn up the makeup a bit and do eyeliner and sultry eyeshadow, but I was never ever a fan of lipstick. That was my makeup life in middle school (more like eighth grade since that's when I got into mascara).

I wanted to look better in comparison to others, but I had one thing holding me back from being a fully fledged makeup addict - my mom is 51 and she looks 35 because she began wearing makeup in her late twenties since it wasn't that popular back then. I want to look that good at 51 and the way to do it is stay away from craploads of makeup at a time.

When I was in middle school, I was surprised to see this snobby little fifth grader wearing mascara and sixth graders with craploads of eyeliner when I only had the minimal stuff. I wanted to wear makeup at that age too, but I know now it's completely unnecessary, stupid, and downright wrong. Makeup is meant to fix impurities on the face such as dark spots, wrinkles, short lashes and acne, and ten year olds don't have any of them!!!!

Makeup is meant to fix impurities on the face such as dark spots, wrinkles, short lashes and acne, and ten year olds don't have any of them!!!!
Funny you say that. I came back to make up because I wanted to cover my acne scars.

I just started wearing make up when i was just in college, but girls now, even in high school they are already wearing a dark lipstick. It looks very awful, i really dont use red lipstick in my lips even before. 

oh I forgot to finish the rest of the questions. 

What age did your mom (or parents) let you wear makeup?

I was about 11 or possibly older. I was allowed to wear it because for my seamstress class we had to model down the runway one of the outfits we had made. I only wore it then but generally didn't see why I should wear it any other time. 

Was it a big issue?
Not really. I was allowed to wear make-up whenever I wanted but until I was about 16 I had no need or interest to do so. That didn't stop me from practicing when I was at home though!

My 12-year old cousin is just like this.  she is obsessed with everything fashion, shoes, nail polish, hair, skin.  She's not even in middle school yet and just got an Iphone 4.  I think it all depends on parenting and personalities.  Her parents let her have whatever, and she loves to spend money..she is also extremely vain for someone of her age...I was a tomboy growing up surrounded by all boys (cousins) and shopping and makeup were not even in my mind until college.  My parents liked to keep me active and outdoors..  Actually my mom sometimes scolds me for not wearing any make-up some days..
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by greeneyedlady /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm always freaked out how a lot of these 13 year olds dress and look like they are 18! I find myself thinking "wow my mom woulda never let me out of the house dressed like that."

my parents let me wear natural makeup when i was in middle school, browns and peaches and maybe pinks. as long as it wasn't dark or too heavy. my mom didn't let me shave my legs when i was 13 or so.

ever since i was a kid, my mom sold Mary Kay and Avon products, she used to get these makeup samples and she gave me some when i was younger to play with, she even started me on a really good skin care regimen

i wore like lip gloss about 8 and only wore eye shadow to parties and that but i started properly wearing makeup about 10.now that im 13 i wear foundation mascara and sometimes blusher nearly everyday but i dont cake myself like some girls do. my mum is a beautician so she taught me how to do it x

Back