Hurricane Sandy!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been watching news reports and it looks pretty bad. Flooding, power outages, evacuations... All kinds of crazy stuff. I'm safely ensconced in the Pacific Northwest, but feel for all those people enduring the bad weather. I saw last night, Jimmy Fallon and David Letterman aired shows without the audiences because of conditions. I also read about the HMS Bounty going down and was surprised they'd go out in the storm! Poor people...Hope all you East Coasters are doing okay!

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been watching news reports and it looks pretty bad. Flooding, power outages, evacuations... All kinds of crazy stuff. I'm safely ensconced in the Pacific Northwest, but feel for all those people enduring the bad weather. I saw last night, Jimmy Fallon and David Letterman aired shows without the audiences because of conditions. I also read about the HMS Bounty going down and was surprised they'd go out in the storm! Poor people...Hope all you East Coasters are doing okay!
I feel so sorry about this because most of my friends and my grandma lives in the east coast, seems like everything is okay though except they have no power (and internet), they still have to go to class from 11am to 9am today so I hope it will be over soon!

I live in Michigan and even we are affected by it that far west! We have 60 mph winds with rain and also experience power outages. I hope my friends in NY are safe, I've had no communication with them since this hurricane started :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Worse news for the HMS Bounty. Two souls were lost - the captain is missing presumed drowned and another crew member who was found but found unresponsive and later pronounced dead at the hospital.

I'm in southeastern PA and all was well. We never lost power (other than 2 times for 30 seconds each), though I was positive we would what with the pounding rain and the LOUD hard wind. The storm weakened JUST before hitting land, though New York and New Jersey got CLOBBERED. My heart goes out to all affected.

Oh, I did read about the two missing and possible deaths of the HMS Bounty crew! That's sad. I saw Atlantic City was getting it bad; late night news reporter was on a third level balcony issuing a statement and the white caps weren't too far below! Power outages, fires, buildings taking beatings..subways submerged.. the worst is always after, when deaths are tallied and people return to find all the damage and destruction.

My heart goes out to any and all people effected by this.
hugss.gif

Thank goodness it wasn't too awful here in the DC area. Our highest wind gusts were 75 mph, and I fortunately never lost power. It was very windy and very rainy, there is some inland flooding, but nothing like NY/NJ and how they were affected by the storm surge. I know coastal maryland and delaware also got it pretty bad. My grandparents in west virginia got over 2 feet of snow. This was a crazy storm that affected such a huge area, its insane. Every state east of the mississippi apparently felt its effects in some way. My thoughts are with those who were impacted. 

I'm from Northern New Jersey and finally got to go to work/get out of the house today. Luckily i had no problems in my home and I didn't lose power but my family and friends did lose power and according to the electric companies it will be 5-10 days before it is restored because there are so many people w/o power. Transformers were blown out, substations were flooded. There are down trees and down power lines everywhere and because so many businesses are w/o power, the lines at the gas stations that do have power are an hour long. Limited if any public transportation

I feel so bad for the people who lost their homes and those few who lost family. I have never seen a storm like this. It is hearbreaking watching the news and seeing everything that people have lost. 

I am sure a lot of help is on the way.  I live in SoCal and my electric company posted a few days ago they were sending crews out East to help get power and what not restored.  of course these things take time but it is great to see people come together from all over to help those affected.  

I'm disturbed by the reports of people impersonating electrical crews and ransacking apartments and homes. Disasters do bring out unsung heroes and bottom feeders alike. Here's to hoping organizations and charities like the Red Cross and Salvation Army, who'll step in with manpower, supplies, and money to help those affected!

My mom sent me pictures and stuff, it's insane. We live outside NYC and her school (she teaches) has been canceled for the week. Only 1 of the 6 schools in the area have power. Our house is apparently the only place in our neighborhood with power, so my parents are offering to let people come hang out. My uncle's apt building in Zone B in Chelsea had water in the lobby, but ok other than that. 

I have to say, it was hard being here in NH and seeing all the destruction back home and not being able to go out and help! I'm so thankful my family is ok.

I live in NE Ohio, and while we had some power outages due to downed trees and such, it really wasn't too awful here. It looked and sounded it, but in comparison I have nothing to complain about. I have some friends though that work in the call center at a power company headquartered in my city, but they also control power in PA, NY, and NJ, and they've been working mandatory 12-hour-plus shifts all week, and now they have to work them all weekend and all of next week too. I understand that a lot of people in the affected area are still without power, but it definitely sucks for my friends as they have a 10-month-old daughter who is basically living with his parents 'til everything is fixed because they literally don't have time to take care of her.

Back