I Ate My Baby's Placenta

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol i think it's kinda cool!!

its what animals do out in the wild, so why shouldn't we? it's not gross it's nourishing!!
biggrin.gif

o_O

I read that with my mouth open in shock o_O

Honestly looking at the pictures...it looks like meatballs.

Ughhhh.

I guess this is a practice that certain cultures practice. I guess since it is NOT practiced here then we consider it rather gross, but then again a lot of things people eat other people consider gross. I'm kind of glad i never tried it, but then again if you consider what it did for your kids....

Hmmmm Well I think i could eat all the gross insects and bugs and animals parts but not something from my own body.

I mean, Its something that is expelled by my body because its served its purpose. I don't eat the other things expelled from my body hehehehehe....

Im usually pretty open minded , but this...creeps me out.

But you do make a good point there Darla.

Originally Posted by Ozee /img/forum/go_quote.gif that made me queasy in the stomach :/ I get that its custom/culture in parts of the world and I think i remember hearing that Scientologists do it aswell.
But question?, Is it not similar to canabalism?

I don't think it really is considered that as canabalism is actually the consumation of human flesh and muscle or fat and this is neither. It's like eating a fingernail or hair.

There are, definitely, cultures that eat some rather questionable things but the reason I find it gross, not because it's isn't practiced here but because it is the placenta. It's expelled from the body for a reason and I don't believe that reason is for me to consume it.

That's just weird! I definately won't be doing that! You all have some good points though!

I definitely wouldn't eat placenta, but there is some evidence that it could be beneficial. It supposedly reduces the risk of postpartum depression, and is apparently good in the case of postpartum hemmorage.

I heard a story from a midwife who had a client who had some hemmoraging after a homebirth. The woman didn't want to transport unless it was absolutely necessary. She was very pale and feeling faint, so as a last resort they "whipped up a placenta smoothy". Within 5 mintues, the woman was feeling much better, and they didn't need to transport.

I had always thought that the placenta had to be raw for full effect though. I think cooking would reduce a lot of the nutrients. Some women freeze-dry the placenta, and get it put into capsules.

Burying the placenta and planting a tree or something over top is pretty common after a homebirth, as midwives usually aren't allowed to transport it to hospital for incineration.

I definitely couldn't bring myself to cook up a placenta and eat it! A wee bit icky.

So now we're eating our body parts... Rejected body parts... I could name some other stuff I'd equate that to eating...

Back